The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. legato

legato Active Member

@DON2003, seems you're trying to solve 2 problems:
    • Coverage for your whole condo
    • Consistent speeds
    Unfortunately, the PLDT ONU device alone cannot solve your problem.
    • It's a "modem", switch and wifi in one package.
    • You can only place it in one location, i.e. you cannot put the router/switch in one place and the wifi in another place
    • Most of the time you cant choose where to place it, since the optical cable is flimsy and short.
    • This is not suitable for all homes. It's probably sufficient for studio type condos or if walls/dividers are made of thin wood
    When I visit my brother I have the same problem. Next room where the PLDT ONU is located only has 1 to 2 wifi bars even on 2.4Ghz due to concrete walls.
    We bought a TP Link Powerline extender kit so the next room can have it's own wifi setup.

The principle of the solution probably holds true for your case.
    • You need more than one wifi access point to cover your whole home. Mukhang malaki condo mo and concrete walls pa.
    • This entails some investment on your part.
    For your case and long term solution, I'd follow oj88 since networking/IT I think is his profession.

The implicit suggestions were:
    • Use the PLDT ONU only as a "modem" (disable wifi for less interference)
    • Buy your own router, network switch and multiple wifi access points for whole home coverage
    Will be less headache in the long run.

Mainit kasi ulo mga tao pag wala internet. Lalu na pag exam nung bata mawalan internet...

2. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies,

actually i am just in front of my modem, so signal shouldn/t be any problem,
    my lan connection is all good, no complain,
    my 2.4ghz connections are all good and all in default setting,
    my 5ghz has lots of problem when on ac mode, but when in a/n mode and not connected to ac mode, all good too,

now the only problem is when I got speed boost, I tried to maximize the speed on my wifi connection and set my phones to wifi 5 a/c.
    1. no any 5ghz in sight on wifi map, only me, lots of 2.4ghz and overlapping but my 2.4ghz connections are all solid,
    2. as i notice, when on ac mode, it has delay (long) before connecting to websites if it works ok, even shopee games cant starts, looks like timeout,
    3. not I tried to remove security on my ac mode, and looks like everything is good now, load and run fast, when I secured the wifi, its has problem again,

scratched my head and cant think of what is the problem, will this be any dns or ipv6 problem? am not an expert, may be any gurus here can help me with this, dont want to add any router to it as no more space for it or hole to plug another adapter, and again I am only in front of my modem, only if there is any wireless lan cable to connects it to my phones. hehe!

am using this 4 antenna AN5506, and seems this is already the best modem from PLDT, or is there any better one? they try to offer to replace it with a newer Huawei 2 antenna modem which I dont which is it? afraid it will be worse and has more other problems after replacing it,

3. legato

legato Active Member

I see. Just curios, I hope you don't mind.

What are the Upload and Download speeds when you are in front of the PLDT ONU for below?
    • AC with security
    • AC without security

4. DON2003

both has the same speed, but without security it runs smooth and loads immediately, but with security it needs a while to starts loading and time out time to time, and looks like hard to load grahics, also when on wifi 5 a.n mode (just not ac mode) its smooth too,

speed is good if working but usually timeout and like hard to resolve address or pause before it starts loading page, and hard to even run shopee games, but hard to explain,

what might cause the connection problem with security on wifi or when on higher speed?
    but observed my new phone poco x3 and oneplus phone are running ok even with security on, just my other phones with older chipsets,

5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Can you provide a screenshot of Network>WLAN Settings>Advanced? Just sanitize out the SSID and passphrase (if it's in cleartext).

In that page, make sure you're using AES only. Never use TKIP or AES/TKIP unless you have very old WiFi devices that don't support AES.TKIP is already deprecated and less secure..

From: https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/wpa2-aes-tkip/
    The page on your AN5506 should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

#1945 oj88, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  6. yoimrae

yoimrae Member

We have the new PLDT Fibr Plan 50Mbps with speedboost upto 100Mbps. May problem ba ang App store sa PLDT? Napaka bagal ng download or update. Nung naka Globe at Home ako mabilis naman.

7. DON2003

yes, I set tp WPA2 and AES only, avoiding all protocols that might cause any problem, now I can conclude the problem is with the modem which:
    all are good with LAN and 2.4ghz wifi connections,
    5ghz wifi without any security all ok, 5ghz a/n mode with security also all ok,
    only problem is when connecting to 5ghz ac mode ONLY, some newer or high end chips phone has no problem but still disconnecting time to time, some older devices has hard time starting on webpage or loading games on shopee which likes its loading some java script, so I think it has problem resolving address,

now I borrow a mesh (deco) and all problems gone, so its the modem that has problem, I think its not a good model but I was told it is already the better if not the best modem from PLDT, other model has weak signal and almost unusable,

I just really dont like to have another device for a purpose that can be done with all in one modem,

any comments on experience with PLDT connections? or this is the only choice that all has same problem with PLDT on wifi5 too? pity they offer speed boost but their modem cannot provide a stable connection to use the speed, whats the use to upgrade

8. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Telcos aren't known to give out cutting-edge modem/routers as standard. All they're willing to do is to provide the lowest entry-point to having a decent internet connectivity. If you want premium, you'll have to spend a little more. That's why we have this thread in the first place. :)

Anyway, your issue is a toss between having a defective modem/router radio, or it's radio chipset won't play nice with some of your 802.11ac devices. That said, you can call up PLDT and ask for a replacement, hoping that the new modem/router will be better. But you may want to hold on to the old one until you're satisfied with the replacement, if they allow you.

Or better yet, cough up some dough and modernize your WiFi using standalone or mesh APs. You can then just relegate the PLDT ONU to modem duties only. This lends to a more future-proof and a better-performing WiFi network.

9. yoimrae

yoimrae Member

Up

10. legato

legato Active Member

You mean Apple App Store?
    No issues / not slow for me. Apps update as normal.

11. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Same, I have no issues with PLDT regarding DL speeds from the app store.

12. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

- you only switch to 5Ghz only - if all devices are AC capable.
    - pldt's modem/ router - is SO SO. you need to get a good wifi router/ system preferably MESH ready.
    - pldt's modem and router they come in bundled. you need the modem for it to connect to pldt's system.
    - unfortunately that same modem is also the router.

- you can do a simple test/troubleshooting using your Mac. You need to know the "Speed" from your Mac to your router.
    To do this, while connected to your wifi. Click on Option then the airport/wifi icon.
    See photos attached. Speed varies which is normal but at least you somehow know that you are getting a good speed from your Mac to router.
    Mine is showing - 385 and 580Mpbs in my non-pldt router/ mesh router.

Really important to know if your laptop/phone is AC capable.

my reco is to get a good mesh system. The more the APs [access points] , the better.
    Also - when in mesh, ALWAYS wire the APs back to the main router.

Best design is this :

PLDT modem/router --LAN1-- to-> YOUR OWN mesh router----> 1G switch port switch [netgear is a good one. a 5-8 port 1G netgear is around 2K.] <--- other APs connect to netgear switch.
    Goal here is to make your router the main router for your home network and not to stress it out. The switch in the middle will help a lot.

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 3.58.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 3.58.49 PM.png

Ping me directly if you need help. I'd be happy to guide you :)

Happy networking!

Dip

-

Shinahashirome likes this.
  13. fdx

fdx New Member

Hi there, wondering if anyone knows what kind of single strand SFP would work to replace the fibre modem provided by PLDT?

14. DON2003

now I use a Deco Mesh to solve the wifi-ac problem, connects the mesh to LAN 2 and my PC still use the LAN1 on modem, switch off wifi-5 of the modem but wifi-2.4 still on, mesh sets as auto 2.4+5ghz,
    is it good enough? or its better i connect my PC to DECO and switch off also modem wifi totally and connects all devices to DECO?

15. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

The latter is ideal for separation of concerns - better to use the PLDT modem/router as just a modem and your mesh system for the actual internal network (LAN/Wi-Fi). Whether to connect your PC to Deco via Wi-Fi or LAN for the best speeds depends on how your mesh is set up (are the mesh units connected to each other via Wi-Fi or LAN ports?) and the model of the mesh unit you want to connect to (e.g. M4 has gigabit LAN ports while E4 only has 10/100... so in the E4's case, the Wi-Fi would be faster than the LAN port). Edit: If you followed Dipp's network design, you would connect your PC through the switch.

What you're looking for is a GPON SFP module. Not readily available locally but you'll find one overseas via Lazada or Aliexpress.

I was actually thinking of buying one to try it out, but I realize it would just be a huge hassle hacking the modem to get the information I need (serial number, LOID and VoIP credentials), waiting for the module to arrive, and then trying that info on the module and potentially not work, leaving me thousands of pesos out of pocket... And also the ISP may not entertain your support queries when something goes wrong with the connection, at least until you revert back to using their modem (although you can just not tell them, and only use the modem when they do a site visit).

#1955 JMacalinao, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  16. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Is Asenso Fibr Plan 1999 55Mbps VAT inc or ex?

17. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

So Converge increased their speeds and PLDT very quickly followed. Their new plans are now on their website.

1699 - 50Mbps
    2099 - 100Mbps
    2699 - 300Mbps
    3799 - 600Mbps
    9499 - 1Gbps

18. King

Link?

19. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

20. King

That's the dream... 50Mbps at 1.6k/month.

Looking forward to the day it becomes 600/month

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1960 King, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021