The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. miggyhipolito

miggyhipolito Active Member

Just a hardware upgrade on our existing plan. It is just now that our village got fiber connections.

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Their speed boost promotion keeps getting extended (now until Dec 31, 2021). Seems to me that even those who won't budge on upgrading their accounts (like me) are still enjoying boosted speed. I'm not sure if other telcos are also "boosting" their current subscriber to have PH move up in broadband world ranking.

They may also be stress testing their fiber network and assess what future plans and packages can be offered. Our household consumption remains the same ~1TB regardless of speed boost so no upgrading of plan for me.

3. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I find that my mood is now determined by the result of the speedtest app for Fibr on any given day. Or hour.

Super boost = Standard joy
    Boosted speed just above contracted speed = Disappointed
    Below contracted speed = Dystopian despair

raypin and MharDelaCruz like this.
  4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Converge is also boosting speeds for free right now.

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Plume PLDT.png

35 -> 200 -> 315

Kinikilig naman ako, PLDT.

legato likes this.
  6. MharDelaCruz

MharDelaCruz Active Member

After 5 months, finally getting the speed that the plan deserves

Attached Files:

7. legato

legato Active Member

Got the dreaded LOS indicator today - blinking red light.

Called 171 and upon going through the menu, it automatically created a ticket number. Previously you had to talk to a call center agent.

Hoping service is as automated and as professional as it seems and a good technician is scheduled. Or the cut is outside our area.

8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

We still experience LOS from time to time. I don't why the technician is reluctant to rewire our Fibr line. Last job he did was do a splicing telling me the dBm was abnormal.

LOS occurs but after a few minutes to hours our internet goes back so I don't have to report this to tech support everyday but honestly I'm getting tired of this. I don't know if there's something wrong with our line, if something is making the wire bend too much, or if it's because our ONU is still the black one, or if it's because of this speed boost. When we were still getting speeds within our subscribed plan, everything was working 24/7.

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

These NAPs are passive fiber splitters. Getting an LOS is a last-mile connectivity issue. The problem could be anywhere between your ONU and the NAP.

However, if other subscribers in your area also experience LOS, whether or not they're connected to the same NAP as you are, then the issue may be further upstream.

10. Paeng

Paeng Member

Had the same LOS experience 4 months ago, called them up & requested to replace the black ONU (we've had it since 2014) to their current white model. Never experienced LOS again.

11. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Maybe after ECQ I'll place a request to have the modem replaced. We use a router and set the modem to bridge mode, so I don't see the need to have it replaced. If it ain't broke why fix it, right? I guess it's time now since we had it since 2014 or 2015.

12. legato

legato Active Member

PLDT fixed my issue in record time. Just 1 day. Amazed and happy.

But not totally because of the reason why I had the issue in the first place.

LOS was due to some other team making the mistake previously.
    There was a new subscription and another subscription being decommisioned on the day I got LOS.
    Seems they took out my link instead of the correct one. :(

13. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Question for the more techie Muggers, if I put the RADIO ON/OFF setting to OFF (meaning the stock hybrid modem/router won't broadcast any SSID), and I connect the modem to another router (A D-Link one), and use that router to broadcast my wifi signal, in theory it decreases the workload of the stock modem, right? Is this setup as good as putting it in bridge mode?

14. oj88

Turning WiFi off at the modem/router just makes it wired-only. It will not change it to bridge mode.

15. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

which is the latest modem ng PLDT Home Fibr?

which modem provided ng PLDT is the best?

am using AN5066 with 4 antenna, is there any better modem than this from PLDT? am having problem with my 5ghz ac mode connection timeout on several devices, but working properly on 2 phones, are my other phones aged so have problem?

how about Huawei modem? better ba than AN5066 and which 1?

pls share your thought on best modem available for PLDT Fibr

16. oj88

Do you have a choice? PLDT will only issue you the router model that is currently in circulation. As of this writing, I believe they're still deploying the FIberHome HG6245D.

I have had experience using the HG6245D for a few days and it wasn't good. Two units were loaned to me one after the other for testing and both have this repeating garble when using the phone line. I had to ask that my old unit (a FiberHome AN5506) be re-commissioned to solve the issue. The whole ordeal is a long story but has long been resolved.

I have no issue with the AN5506. Though, I only use it as a modem in bridge mode. I have my own router and WiFi equipment..

17. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

am using FiberHome AN5506, it all good for years it serves its purpose,

I remember I usually connects all devices to the 2.4ghz wifi and disregard the 5ghz as we are in condo and walls are thick so 5ghz weaker when far from the modem, and since our subscribed speed is not that fast and no use for 5ghz speed so never use it, now we have speed boost and planning to upgrade our speed as kids needs greater speed so I have tried months ago connects to the 5ghz to check the speed beyond 100mbps which my 2.4ghz cant reach (only max at 72mbps), then I notice the problem with my 5ghz connections that sometime limited connection, no network, or connected but it timeout when loading webpage pics, even playing games on shopee have problem loading, but when I switch to 2.4ghz all problems gone, then I tried tweak and found out connecting to 5ghz on a/n mode has no problem (but slower than ac mode), only when switched to ac mode it has problem again, but on 2 of my phones, it runs ok, will this bec my phones are too old? and not optimaized for ac mode? or its the modem that has problem?

I also not too keen to replace the modem as someone told me that my modem FiberHome AN5506 is already a better one, other pldt modems has problem or very weak signal, so seeking advise first before go for the replacement, dont want to have more problem afterward.

anyone can help what to do with my problem? thanks in advance

18. oj88

Try to play around with the 5GHz Frequency Bandwidth and Channels. Some WiFi clients may have trouble using certain channels on 5GHz, particularly the higher channels.

If you have an Android device, download WiFi Analyzer and see if there's interference from your neighbors on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

19. manager

manager Active Member

We've had the AN5506 since day 1 on Fibr. Had the same problems with the 5Ghz performance. Could not fix it and I just bought another router.

20. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I found that 5 Ghz needs line of sight and is easily blocked by walls.