The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

Are you guys experiencing consistent disconnection for around 30 minutes average around 1am or 2am? I hate it. My other ISP Sky Broadband also disconnects. What a coincidence. Maybe this issue is related to our current condo. What do you guys think? Thanks!

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I experienced that last night. When my connection became active again my throughput improved from 50Mbps to 150-155Mbps.

But my problem now is LOS blinking light in spite of my back to back multiple concurrent bluejeans, teams, facetime, etc conferences. Hello Globe mobile data!

3. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Good to know that, at least, the extra money buys me better/priority service and same-day resolution—instead of resolution .... someday.

4. King

This is not true.

In our experience with our dozens of grandfathered plans that averages over 10k/account and the FibrBiz plans we upgraded them all towards 20+ months ago.

This is why we have a failover account per location with another telco like Globe or Converge.

When manpower and materials are in short supply and beyond the control of your telco then they can never honor contractual obligations for priority repairs.

Dont even bother suing them over 10k worth of services... the cost of legal fees will be higher and the telco has more competent lawyers.

raypin likes this.
  5. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Hehe, to some extent, I was speaking, or writing, tongue-in-cheek. :)

It took PLDT almost half a year to convert the old landline finally to the enterprise fiber plan. Globe on the other took only around a month to give us a business fiber line.

And that is why our Globe line is our primary internet connection, and PLDT only the backup connection.

At least with Bayantel before, in my experience, when they said a response within 24 hours, they really acted on concerns within the period.

6. King

Margins were better before.

Today margins are bad bad bad.

Kawawa the shareholders who believe in PLDT's dividends... they're in for a rude awakening

7. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

If you use a service like http://www.whatsmydnsserver.com you will see that the PLDT modem's DNS server will be the one that's used regardless of what DNS server you specify on your device or router.
    On the other hand, the Converge modem honors the DNS server specified on your device or router.

raypin likes this.
  8. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Maybe because the modem’s static routing is enabled or not cleared? Although I’ve set my modem to bridge mode I have always taken control of which DNS my network reaches out too, and I make sure it’s not PLDTs preferred or even the modem’s. Hmmm…this may vary on some setup.

9. King

Note to business owners/signatories: You can install business accounts at your homes or personnel's homes. PLDT only cares about your ability to pay on time, you not hacking their network and doing anything illegal.

Got some time today and made this comparison of almost all PLDT Fibr Plans from PLDT Home & PLDT Enterprise. I only included what generally are of interest to most people. Faster than 300Mbps plans are excluded to save space.

I'm moving from the plans in color orange to those in red in the next 8 months. Saving as little as ₱100/month to as much as ₱1,000/month. What I dislike about the ones in red is the 3 year contract and the service level is that of PLDT Home. There is a one time downgrade fee of ₱500.

The plans in red are cheaper than Globe myBusiness & GlobeAtHome. They are also a better value than Converge's Plans.

ISPs are known to change plan terms & conditions without prior warning so cross check with the current contract for what will be actually included.

[​IMG]

#1849 King, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    raypin, xtine, manager and 3 others like this.
  10. King

Note to business owners/signatories: You can change ownership of out of contract residential landline-only accounts & residential fiber/dsl accounts to business accounts. You can upgrade landline-only accounts to fiber accounts so you dont end up with another useless landline & additional cost.

I got DMs asking about which plans are useful for Zoom & Netflix so I added columns for that. My apologies for the smaller font... the added data have me make the letters smaller as to not distort the webpage.

This is arranged from lowest to highest monthly fee.

[​IMG]

As to which plans are worth it is largely up to your use case.

My use case is...
    • Least monthly fee possible for my # of users
    • No cable TV as we have not watched cable since 2001
    • No mesh as we standardized to Ubiquiti. Consumer solutions are... not that mission-critical
    • Backup Prepaid LTE router is a nice plus but I hope it's a CAT7 model and not garbage they just want to liquidate
    • Unlimited calls to all PLDT-owned networks is a nice plus
    • Prefer shorter lock-in period so I can downgrade to that year's least monthly fee plan
    • Use case has not changed in over 2 decades and will probably not change for the next 2 decades
    My wish... Basic Landline-only Plan 700 will have
    • Unlimited 70Mbps fiber
    • Unlimited calls to all Philippine landline & mobile # using AAC-ELD for audio quality & compression
    • 2 year or shorter contract
    • PhilSys ID-only document requirement
    Per PLDT's latest annual financial statement the ARPU for fiber/dsl is ₱1,414.38/month for the past 8 quarters.

There's a long ways to go for subs on Plan 1299 getting better than 10Mbps @ 100GB/month. To me they should be given unlimited 15Mbps today.

#1850 King, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    gaol and Shinahashirome like this.
  11. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Don’t wanna burst your bubble but affordable broadband + landline is no longer being taken seriously by our telcos. Plan 990 disappeared and now 1299 is no longer available. They are gunning for higher ARPU and better fiber slot utilization. They spent a lot only to have their gigabit capable fiber slots be filled with Plan 1299 and 1699 users which means slower ROI and less network utilization.

Fiber 2399 is their “honeypot” for residential subscribers (previously 1899).
    Base plans will always look awful/neglected in comparison as an upsell tactic.

yoh_hectic likes this.
  12. King

I completely agree.

All the telcos are desperate push up their ARPUs so their ROIs are quicker. Sad for them and their investors but competition is a boon for consumers like us.

You can still get Plan 990 & 1299 through independent PLDT agent you can find on Facebook. Of course it is offered in select barangays. I tried covert my largely unused copper landline-only account to copper prepaid landline and they flat out refused even when I complied with the technical requiremnts because "I'm a different market".

[​IMG]

I computed ₱ per Mbps of my fiber's increased throughput of 149.05Mbps to 162.1Mbps and its ₱18.51-₱20.13/Mbps. Making this the best value in terms of of that specific metric.

Vs

Fibr Plus Plan 6099's 300Mbps of ₱20.33/Mbps. The best of of the table.

Though I rather pay ₱1,999/month for 55Mbps... the connection's just too fast. Law Of Diminishing Marginal Utility magnifies.

By 2024 I could see myself on a ₱1,599/month ~50Mbps plan if competition continues in the next Presidential term.

#1852 King, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    rdy0329 likes this.
  13. rdy0329

I don’t compute price per mbps because it’s skewed towards higher plans for obvious reasons. I calculate by overall value I can get without much sacrifice which is very subjective.

For better context, get a smart-ish wifi router that can track your daily, weekly, monthly usage volume. Plus points if may device breakdown.

This is the first thing I do and turn off WIFI from the telco modem/ONU. I also configure google DNS and set it up optimally so any weird behavior can almost always be assumed as provider’s fault.

Some insights include:

1. Netflix/Youtube’s adaptive quality has gotten reliable and indistinguishable when quality drops or improve +1 or -1.

2. I analyzed data during peak hours @ home and as long as no one complains about the speed, you are at your optimal plan speed for your home needs.
    • Check monthly total volume on current plan
    • Check monthly total volume on speed boost promo period.
    • If both are about the same, you don’t need the extra speed. You can also do it in reverse (downgrade plan) to see if you can save even more.

3. I’m the only one who is “techy” enough to actually toggle 1080p or 4K as soon as I start a YT video, most will just be happy with the default 720p on mobile and 1080p on Apple TV.

4. The only time I have to “wait” nowadays is when updating my devices with developer betas or reverting to mainstream builds of iOS/iPadOS. I still have some loose change of patience from when we had 384kbps dsl as our first internet service. 15 minutes is nothing compared to overnight downloads just to be considerate to people at home.

5. Consider the lowest plan available first. You can always upgrade but never downgrade within contract periods.

6. 2-3 years reassessment of needs, and telco offers (and financial sitiuation). Never subscribe to more than what you need or what you “might need” It’s just a waste.

A college friend got stuck @ 8mbps plan 3500 and PLDT never upgraded their speeds until we talked about it last year. He said it never felt slow per his family’s use case but felt cheated after being made aware of new tiers. Ignorance is bliss pag non-techie?

7. Never pay for status/prestige, that’s what the telco wants. No one will notice but you.

#1853 rdy0329, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Hero33 and King like this.
  14. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

I use google dns on my pc, left my modem dns as is, here is the result:
    dns.JPG
    looks like google dns is in use

rdy0329 and King like this.
  15. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

My ONU is in bridge mode and so it can do nothing to alter my DNS requests. I did the check above and it's correctly showing that I'm using Cloudflare's DNS.

16. rdy0329

+ 1 on Google DNS and Bridge Mode.

PLDT's DNS has been unreliable ever since and employs weird routing tactics that makes some website and downloads slow as hell (iOS updates for example sometimes get stuck).

PLDT's old ONUs tend to run hot on router mode, which sometimes affects performance due to heat management. Now its just warm on bridge mode.

Bridge mode might be a little tricky to request these days because:

1. Public dynamic IP is running low, your area is already under CGNAT routing.
    2. The operator is not knowledgeable about the request / they wont cater to lower tier plans.
    3. You'll lose GUI access to manage wifi and view line stats.

I got lucky during installation as both installer and technical office know what I was talking about and I was on Plan 2899 back then. Thankfully, it sticked when I changed to 1699.

These are the aspects that might contribute to complaints we keep hearing online.

King likes this.
  17. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Triple like. No one cares that you pay a lot to the telco except you. Only time preference or prestige matters is for financial transactions where opportunities and service makes a difference... cause if you’re holding my money you better move the earth and sun for what I want lol.

rdy0329 likes this.
  18. lamski

Here are my settings and the DNS being detected by outside servers:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the PLDT modem overrides the DNS settings with its own.
    If I switch to my converge modem, the DNS is the one I set on the mac:
    [​IMG]

#1858 lamski, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  19. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ OT, what credentials do you use to access your PLDT ONU?

I used to have access to it but they changed it a while back. Back then, I was able to at least monitor the temperature, link status, etc.

20. lamski

I use the "admin" user to login. I think the default password is 1234.