The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

When is this speed boost going to end? I don't want to get my hopes up too much. I'm getting 500mbps up and 900mbps down.

raypin likes this.
  2. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Till they get enough ookla reviews and lock ins to boast then it’ll drop lol

rdy0329 and Juice like this.
  3. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

I feel like they manipulating speedtest results. There are times that I can't get to run youtube in 4K and websites loading so slowly but the test is giving me 150 - 190 mbps.

rdy0329 likes this.
  4. Hero33

Yup get the same feeling. Have different subscriptions for different houses one is the top getting 500-1 gig the other is the lowest but getting 100. The one getting screwed the most is the middle plan cause the boost is barely double.

seems like they are trying to get an average of at least 100 to boast. If they do so they better make it permanent and at least make the middle plan a bigger jump cause the current speed between the middle and lowest unli plan isn’t as big as the difference between the middle and top unli plan.

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

+1 on manipulating speed test results.

Aside from t*rrents, I rarely get reliable speed from major media sources. Even simple FT calls with overseas friends would lag.

We’ve entered the age where our telcos are just maximizing fiber/LTE tech but not paying attention to their back end connections to the outside world.

6. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Fault isnt solely on the telco.

Govt placed too many restrictions to limit competition by allowing a few to have international backbones and not impose interconnection between local telcos on a per province basis.

7. rdy0329

I’m pretty sure local interconnection is *almost* solved save for some smaller players not being able to have leverage with major telcos. This is evidenced by testing PLDT to Globe servers and vice versa and recently, even DITO server in Makati is giving full speed on my PLDT fiber connection (previously 5-6mbps with high ping).

All of the improvement in tech must be backed up by improvement in international bandwidth which is seriously falling behind. Converge is a prime example of being squeezed for bandwidth as they have aggressive rollout strategies and low price.

8. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I would really believe with my testing that the issue isn’t with the interconnection infrastructure but on the routing policies. For example if I do all network connections on raw PLDT config with OpenDNS I get less than half my Speedtests on PLDT servers (100Mbps) when testing on servers in CA, US for example (9-50Mbps erratic). I turn on my expressVPN then I get the true speed at almost 70% (60-90Mbps), but reveals an above 100ms latency (expected as California is really far).

so I have put my streaming devices on VPN and browsing to just default non-VPN network so I get consistent experience on my PLDT Fibr.

rdy0329 likes this.
  9. King

How many decades did it take them to solve that problem though?

I spoke to Globe and PLDT about mobile phone number portability. Both telco can convert same network prepaid to postpaid numbers and vice versa. They can even do from 1 network to another as well.

What is holding them back is govt IRR that will start either in July or September.

In a highly regulated industry there are so many limitations common sense and non-common sense.

Ideally I personally think that interconnection between ISPs should be at the provincial capital level and in Metro Manila it should be done within per city with a backbone capacity of at least 30% of all subscribers of each interconnection point

So if there is X number of subscribers within region 8 with a total bandwidth of 1Tbps then at least 300Gbps should be the bare minimum for interconnection.

10. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

We have a PLDT Fibr 100 Mbps plan. Currently we are renting at a condo. Next month we are planning to rent to another condo just in front of our current condo. I've already talked to PLDT if their services can be transferred there and they said I need to wait for their email within 2 days if it can be transferred there with a fee of 1,100 pesos.

Problem is what if they said it can't be transferred to the new condo? Should I cancel my PLDT Fibr subscription? I think I need to pay for cancellation fee which might be high.

11. Hero33

Vice explains why PLDT is boosting lol:

12. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Does anyone know how to change the DNS server settings on the fiber modem? I would like to change it to the more secure 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 servers if possible. Currently, the admin page is very limited to what can be configured.

13. King

Thank the Lord! My 50Mbps FibrBiz 3000 plan is now 155Mbps! It's up for renewal this month or the next so... should I update to a 50Mbps Beyond Fiber 2500 plan?

As nice as having more than 15Mbps per user I rather have money to spend on something else like a iMac 32" :LOL:

[​IMG]

#1833 King, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    raypin likes this.
  14. rdy0329

You could save an extra 400 if they allow you to downgrade to Asenso Fiber Plan 2099 which is already at 60mbps. That's 900/month or 21k per 2 years contract.

https://pldthome.com/biz

15. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

its better to let it that way and just change your device's dns instead

16. King

Wow! Thank you very much randy! This will go a long way with my renewing dozens of accounts in the coming weeks.

From Plan 1699 at 15Mbps & landline to Plan 1599 at 35Mbps, backup prepaid LTE router and landline with unlimited calls to all PLDT networks.

I was applying for new account earlier this year and their rates were sadly these expensive expletives. So had to get Plan 1699 at 15Mbps & landline.

[​IMG]

When did PLDT Home start offering a business account at these rates below?

I tried googling for it and the best info I found gave a date of 90 mins ago.

So thankful I shared my thoughts or else I'd have to settle for another round of expensive plans...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Sayang! Our company landline was just upgraded (took quite some time though from my first inquiry) to Enterprise Fiber Plan 50 as a secondary/backup internet connection.

18. rdy0329

Enterprise lines have dedicated bandwidth and static IP (if applicable) + dedicated same-day resolution teams.

Ka-Asenso plans are rebadged residential plans great for non-critical applications like free Wifi for Cafes and Hotels/Motels. Ka-asenso plans have above average customer service.

Also with Ka-Asenso 1599 being at 35mbps already, I'm expecting residential plan 1699 to get 50mbps within the next rounds of speed upgrades.

1699 50mbps
    2399 100mbps
    2999 150-200mbps

gaol likes this.
  19. King

Be aware that PLDT's Beyond Fiber Plan 50Mbps is 2500/month.

Randy... I almost forgot to ask how long is the contract period of those PLDT Asenso Plans that are under PLDT Home? PLDT Enterprise plans are traditionally 24 months long while PLDT Home is 30-36 months long.

The shorter the contract period the quicker you can switch over to a superior Peso per Mbps plan.

Because of COVID we the telcos are now allowed to upgrade facilities with less red tape and less official and unofficial govt fees.

20. King

Thank you for the further clarification.

Randy... I almost forgot to ask how long is the contract period of those PLDT Asenso Plans that are under PLDT Home? PLDT Enterprise plans are traditionally 24 months long while PLDT Home is 30-36 months long.

The shorter the contract period the quicker you can switch over to a superior Peso per Mbps plan.

Because of COVID we the telcos are now allowed to upgrade facilities with less red tape and less official and unofficial govt fees.

For my use case I want to stick to 50Mbps as closely as possible so 1,999/month looks to be my choice this year. Last year I was trying to align my monthly service fee to Beyond Fiber 2,500/month from 3,000/month but PLDT refused to do so.

This year... they got no choice. :D

kyubi likes this.