The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. yakult

yakult Member

got it, thanks. based on the app, the middle node may be the problem. it's only getting 1 of 3 Wi-Fi bars, while the 3rd node in the bedroom is at least getting 2. Will play around with this. Thanks for your help!

2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

It just means running an Ethernet cable (CAT 6 for me) between mesh units.

So, from your PLDT Fibr modem, connect M5 no. 1, then run an Ethernet cable from this M5 to a Gigabit switch, then run two cables from that switch, one to each of the two remaining M5s.

If you're handy you could do it yourself. I'm not, so I needed an electrician to run the cables along the walls and hide them under those cable covers that run on top of baseboards and door frames.

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. yakult

yakult Member

Oh ok. To be clear, I already have part 1 of what you said down, with a CAT6 cable from the router to Node 1.

Would running another CAT6 cable from Node 1 to Node 2 help my cause? Running a cable from Node 2 to 3 would be outright impossible given the layout of our house.

Node 1 to Node 2 may be doable, but I don't know anything about gigabit switches. I thought just an ethernet cable would be enough to bridge the problem.

4. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

nag offer PLDT +200 from Plan 1899 30mbps to 50mbps,
    is it a good offer to get?
    anyone get this and how is the experience? di kaya may bago na naman sila plan na cheaper 50 mbps lalabas kaya nag offer na sa old subscribers?
    pls share your thought on this
    parang pag upgrade to 2099 from 1899 wala free mesh like 2499 na plan upgrade normally?

5. SE20

Hope this diagram, from Deco themselves, will clarify. What you currently have is a daisy chain network. What I am describing is a star network. In the star network, those two slave Decos would have a strong signal, almost as strong as the main one. Switches can be bought anywhere, and inexpensive. just make sure they are gigabit. Those cables that run from the switch can be up to 100 meters long.

[​IMG]

6. yakult

yakult Member

Oh yeah, Daisy Chain is the term I was looking for when I said I was using a serial connection of some sort haha.

Yes, thank you so much for the diagram. I may look into this switch if I can't improve the signal strength by moving things around this weekend.

Just a question, I think I can do a switch from the main to the second node. But I don't think I can run cable from the switch to the 3rd node.

If that's the case, I'll probably end up with Modem - main deco - switch - Node 2(slave) then Node 3 will connect wirelessly to Node 2. That being said, I can still probably enjoy better (although still minimized) speed from Node 2 to Node 3, right?

7. SE20

^Yes, should be better. how much better, can’t say, depends on how far 3 is from 2
    If you’re just connecting two nodes you could do without a switch, just run the cable from 1 to 2. Just make sure you’re connecting the right ports.

8. yakult

yakult Member

Oh ok! Yeah I'll probably try this reco of yours. I tried moving Node 1 closer to Node 2 earlier this morning, and the speed in the bedroom with Node 3 didn't change much.

Will look into the ethernet fix. Thanks for your help.

9. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

I just avail of the pldt fibr promo from 1899 to 2099 50 mbps via there hotline...
    how will i know if the new plan already take effect?
    Usually ba mga ilan days before mag take effect yun new plan?

do i also need to restart ba my modem in order to take effect the new speed?

10. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Usually, the CSR would just say the new plan will take effect in24-36 hours.

Monitoring by Speedtest is recommended.

11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone on a PLDT Fibr business plan that is less than 1699/month?

12. macjobber

Do you think Plan P2899 will get a speed upgrade soon?

This offer is so tempting but our current monthly bill is way too high already

Screenshot_2021-03-30-00-59-44-605_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg

13. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Whenever I see that I think of this

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lawofdiminishingutility.asp

better to maintain Mbps but lower monthly fee so I can use the saved money on other luho.

I want to maximize utility of any product or service.

200Mbps can be had for 3499/month with Globe with unlimited landline calls to Globe/TM, Converge and Sky

Highest-end application that you dont want buffering is 4K streaming. Before March 2020 that was 15Mbps per stream. Zoom's highest quality stream is 4Mbps.

If you have a household of 4 users then you'd need at most 60Mbps to as low as 16Mbps.

All your users will rarely do 4K streaming at the same time so keeping it at 60Mbps may be a luxury for all 4 users. But applying the Pareto Principle and rounding it up yields 50Mbps.

Have a 50-100GB download app, video or game that occurs every quarter or so? Download it when everyone is asleep on a 50Mbps connection.

At most it would take 6 hours? Cost of power from 6 hours of a computer left ON to download is cheaper than a fixed monthly internet speed.

What I'd love to see is ₱10.00/Mbps so for ₱500 would could get unlimited 50Mbps fiber with landline.

#1813 King, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    raypin and Shinahashirome like this.
  14. macjobber

Okay. Thanks for the advice Sir.

15. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Got a call from PLDT yesterday informing me that fiber is finally available in my area.
    Since I'm already on the 1,699 PHP 15 mbps DSL plan, the plan can be transferred to the 1,699 25 mbps Fibr plan without any additional fees.
    I hope the technicians come this week to install the cable and replace the modem.

raypin and macjobber like this.
  16. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Anyone here subscribed to the PLDT homefibr 1899(I think they discontinued this one already)? Do you get speeds between 55-60mbps? I've been getting it since mid-January of this year. Was there an "upgrade" that I don't know about or is it just for "padding" for the Ookla speed rankings?

17. catalysmic

catalysmic Well-Known Member

1899 Fibr Sub here.. BF Pque Area.. hitting 46 MBps & UP lately.. or since February 2021

Shinahashirome likes this.
  18. akosidumbo

akosidumbo Member

There is an upgrade ₱2,099 for 50mbps and 2,699 for 100mbps (300 discount limited time offer) with speedboost upto 150mbps until end of April.

#1818 akosidumbo, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    dacci likes this.
  19. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

I never opted for this upgrade and I'm still paying the MRF of 1899. I wonder what's happening with this.

20. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

The technicians arrived today and installed PLDT Fibr. Current plan is 25 mbps for 1,699 PHP/month. SpeedTest result:
    [​IMG]

Theus and Shinahashirome like this.