The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Our landline's been with us for early 4 decades so somewhat difficult to let go.

Thankfully I was able to convince PLDT to upgrade our landline-only account to fiber with landline thus saving us ~700/month.

I think if it werent for the sudden demand for fiber 50Mbos would now cost 1899/month.

As a kid I always looked forward to the doubling of my throughput at the same monthly fee. As I grew older I look towards cutting bills in half and yet getting the same level of service.

2. manager

manager Active Member

1. Yes. I connected my TV via lan to my first mesh.
    2. If you're on wifi 5ghz it should be fine. You can also set QoS to prioritize gaming, or set high priority for just the PS.
    3. 2 bars is fine.

Just test and move until you're happy. I experimented a lot during the first few days till satisfied, but our needs changed few weeks ago and moved the mesh again.

3. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can just turn off the ringer of your phone. I had mine set to off since I don't give away my landline number to anyone. PLDT's the only one calling for promos and bill reminders so I just turn off the ringer.

4. John cid 42

John cid 42 New Member

Thanks for all your inputs....
    Now Im thinking what if, my 2nd mesh which is on the 2nd floor, I will hardwired it to the 1st mesh (which my 1st mesh is the main mesh connected to my modem/ router) so that the 2nd mesh will have a full signal; then from there the 2nd ethernet port of my 2nd mesh I will hardwired again to the ps4, would that be possible?

5. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, the TP-Link Deco mesh system allows for wired or "ethernet backhaul," i.e., the mesh points communicate and are linked together via ethernet cables instead of using wifi. It's faster and more stable than wifi backhaul.

Here's a general FAQ about this:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

6. John cid 42

John cid 42 New Member

i tried hard wired ethernet my 1st deco (main) to my 2nd deco, but it doesnt work when i check the status its still on wifi mode..
    do i need to configure something on the setting? or do i need a switch before connecting to the 2nd mesh?

also another issue is my main deco is connected via ethernet on my pldt modem/ router, then my 2nd deco is connected wireless on the main deco, now my third deco which is more closer on the 2nd deco still gets the signal source on my main deco, which is just now one bar signal, is there anyway that i could choose my third deco to just get the signal source on my 2nd deco, which more closer to one another than the main deco

7. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

Sir how much is your plan 300 Mbps? I'll check in google also. Thanks

8. gaol

You might need to change some settings; I'm afraid I can't help you with the specifics since I use a different mesh system (Orbi at home with dedicated wifi backhaul, Asus AIMesh at work using ethernet backhaul). Googling might bring up support forums specifically for TP-Link's mesh. Good luck!

9. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Hahahaha the one calling me is for LPG. Haha will take their order next time they call :p

10. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

PLDT offering 200 pesos additional for upgrading 1899/30mbps to 2099/50mbps, but I think its not that significant and it might have another 2 years lockout period when you take the upgrade,
    anyone did that? is it worth it?

11. gaol

Same here, and the worst offenders are PLDT's own telemarketers!

Finally got them to stop calling when I set up an answering machine with phonebook. If the number is not on the the phonebook, the call goes straight to the answering machine. Besides people we know will text or call our cell phones anyway, or ask first for our landline so we are expecting their call.

The other frequent calls we get are from the village guards regarding deliveries or guests; we know it's them since the village office and gate numbers are on the phonebook so we answer.

12. manager

manager Active Member

Telemarketer will only wait till 4 rings then hang up. When my landline rings, I wait for a 5th ring before picking up.

This has worked for me couple of years now.

Hero33 likes this.
  13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Is it normal for tp link deco m5 to feel always warm?

do you use some sort of like a “fan” or stand on it? Cause i think the fan and also exhaust of this device is underneath it but how will the heat escape if you like place it on the table, matatakpan un parang butas nya di ba?

or does this kind of a device can hold this kind of heat, even if many devices simultaneously use the net?

14. yakult

yakult Member

Hi, just gonna piggyback on this thread. Have a few questions regarding our Deco setup at home.

We have PLDT Fibr installed, currently plan 200mbps, but due to a promo they offered, we're bumped up to 500mbps til end April.

Thing is, our router is connected to our main Deco M5, which is located on the 2nd floor of our house. Then the second deco node is halfway down the stairs, and the third one, is in our bedroom, which is a ways away from the main deco node. Effectively, I think of it working as a serial connection (hope this gives you a visual picture of the setup).

But with that said, even with the 500mbps plan, which is enjoyed by the 2nd floor node, proven by speed tests done on the second floor of the house, the speeds in our bedroom (which is connected to the 3rd, and farthest node), top out at 60mbps on a good day, but usually just 40-50 mbps.

I was wondering if adding a node would help? But given the layout of our house, It's like one end will always have the router and main node, and the 3rd deco will be at the opposite end, with the 2nd deco somewhere in the middle. Any tips?

15. manager

manager Active Member

my M5s are always warm and hot in the summer. No problems.

16. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

It sounds like your bedroom node is two nodes away from your main one. If I read that correctly, then it would surely be much slower. Adding another node in between would make it even slower.

Yeah, the Fibr speed is fast but it fades away fast with distance, true for me too. (Maybe true for all 5G mesh, I wonder?)

I would run an Ethernet backhaul to your bedroom from the main M5, and while you're at it, run another one to the second node as well. Cheap and can be done in a day.

17. manager

manager Active Member

Your bedroom is on the 3rd floor? I would try moving them around.

Node 3 should have full speed if it has a good signal from either node 1 or 2. If you have the app, check the signal strength meter for each node.

18. yakult

yakult Member

Yes, correct. Main node is in the same room as the router.

About ethernet backhaul, what does this entail exactly? Do you have a diy link you could help me with? I was hoping to not have to run cable, but that sounds like what you're suggesting will solve the problem.

19. yakult

yakult Member

Yeah, technically just the 2nd floor, but our second floor is like a good distance from the rest of the house.

I have the app, and did speed test and it does say I'm getting 500mbps, but I think that represents the speed of the main deco node coming direct from the router.

When I use speedtest on my phone in the bedroom, it usually shows just 40-60mbps.

Where in the app can I check the signal strength meter per node?

20. manager

manager Active Member

On the app main page click on the globe.