The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don’t think 50mbps is sufficient for a home streaming 4K to 5 different TVs. I find 300 just right, preferably 500-1 gig.

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

15Mbps per 4K stream x 5 4K TVs = 75Mbps at minimum.

My goal is higher than 80% utilization of bandwidth.

Our setup is 3-4 users at 15Mbps so 50Mbps fits like a glove.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…25 Mbps minimum is the recommended speed for 4K streaming. But really, the 4K content that is available is severely limited, making 4K practically useless. 99% is still HD.

4. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Guys need your opinion, im planning to get a mesh because i have some deadspots of internet here in my home...

is it advisable to get a tp link deco via pldt?
    Or just buy it on a computer stores?
    What are a good brand of mesh? Does a tp link deco m4 or m5 good enough?

5. raypin

Mm…I like mesh (Luma system) and it works in eliminating deadspots. It will be more expensive to get it from PLDT. Get it from retail. TP Link is an old brand and has good reputation. Depending on the size of your home, start with 2 mesh units and add more as needed. Google is too expensive.

6. Hero33

If you game mesh systems create lag. Nothing like a good router for the home. Before I went full Ubiquiti I was using the asus rog ax11000.

7. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Actually im not more into gaming, just want to have access internet on my whole house... cause im starting to apply some smart home on my house..

mostly i will used internet for social media, checking mails, surfing and streaming 4k shows...

actually im planning fo start an ideal of 3 mesh...

I also read that the 1st mesh must be near the modem router and connected via lan?

is the range of one mesh the same as the range of the router/modem provided by the pldt?

so what are good brands of mesh?

8. manager

manager Active Member

I got my Deco M5 from Lazada two years ago. Am very happy with the system.

We have the same use case (email, streaming, staying online). There's only one gamer in the house and he doesn't complain about the lag.

Yes the first mesh has to be LAN.

My Deco's one mesh is about the same signal strength as the PLDT modem/router.

When you set it up get a good separation between the meshes like 2 bars strength. If they overlap too much devices can't decide which mesh unit to join. Lots of experiments before we found the sweet spot.
    HTH

raypin likes this.
  9. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Thanks a lot in this info...
    Anyway what is the difference between the deco m4 vs m5? Is the m5 a better choice?

then you said that the 2 mesh must be in a good seperation, so you mean to say also i might encounter a problem if the two mesh let say are a little closer to one another?

10. raypin

mm...you have to do the placement of the mesh units on a trial by error method until you achieve full house coverage. And there is no point in putting 2 mesh units in close proximity. One centrally placed mesh unit per floor usually suffice.

manager likes this.
  11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

On paper 25Mbps is the recommended throughput for Netflix 4K.

Actual throughput as displayed on a 4K TV is under 15Mbps. During first 6 months of lockdown Netflix, Youtube, Prime and other streaming services reduced their bitrate to below 10Mbps to lessen the stress on ISPs as everyone was struggling to work from home.

My guess that 25Mbps was recommended was to provide additional overhead for IoT devices and other unknowns.

raypin likes this.
  12. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Wonder what happened to PLDT this morning. I'm on the lowest plan of FTTH (fibr to the home, I suppose), 999 + the landline total of 1331. Started with 5mbps in 2016. gradually increased through the years. To 10mbps a few months after installation. Then it went 15, sometime early last year to 28-30mbps. And when I woke up this morning, 90mbps! Not complaining, just surprised.

Hero33 likes this.
  13. antski

antski Well-Known Member

M5 has better speed and form factor.

14. Hero33

The competition cause of Dito boosting has begun. Yay.

15. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

They are doing that for their Ookla ranking.

16. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

I'm subscribed to PLDT Fibr Plan 3k for 100 Mbps. My usual speed test is 90 Mbps Download and 35 Mbps Upload.

Is the 35 Mbps Upload normal or it is slow? I'm located in BGC area. Thanks!

17. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

If you are testing it with the PLDT Makati or Pasig server, that is not normal. It should be symmetrical.

18. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Same with fast dot com. Confirmed further by file downloads.

19. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

What I meant to say is that I think they are purposely giving free speed boosts to their customers so that their Ookla world ranking goes up. Between PLDT and Globe, I noticed that the former is more active in pushing our press releases about their Ookla ranking. Didn't mean to say that the speeds you're getting are not real :D

20. manager

manager Active Member

The upload is slow. It should be more or less 90 up and down.

If you need the upload speed try hard resetting your modem. If it doesn't work call 171.