The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

WickedMac likes this.
  2. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

3. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

didnt know pa because PLDT not yet installed. will keep you posted.

Shinahashirome likes this.
  4. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Are you on PLDT Enterprise? It's relatively easy to do the first one if you have the right equipment, since enterprise broadband uses PPPoE when bridging (not sure about their new BEYOND FIBER offering, but their standard enterprise plans for sure). Just plug the fiber to a GPON SFP module, then to a router. Or get a decent router with a GPON port. After that, connect using your PPPoE credentials. That's what I'm planning to do once I receive the stuff; been inspired by this guy (he's a huge nerd, and so am I :ROFLMAO:):

PLDT Home is a whole different ballgame though. A big PITA, as far as I know, as they usually don't allow replacing the ONU (modem/router) other than what they've provided. In that case, the second option is the only viable option -- connecting your third party router to the PLDT ONU via LAN, then request to have the ONU operate on bridge mode, maybe also disable the WiFi radios on it as well.

#1684 JMacalinao, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  5. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

What are the advantages of using a subscriber-provided GPON SFP module rather than the one supplied by PLDT?

PLDT Enterprise FibrBiz Plan 1699, 1899 and 3000 all use PLDT Home GPON ONUs.

I was looking for Ubiquiti GPON FSP and it presented me with some options.

What I wonder is how will PLDT or any other ISP do when troubleshooting a bad connection? They may end up blaming your GPON FSP rather than their network failure.

Parang its an unnecessary expense to get the last 1% of performance and having 1 device rather than 2?

#1685 King, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  6. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

I guess it's all about who takes responsibility and who gets full control of the equipment.

With subscriber-provided equipment, the ISP can still monitor the link down to the ONU (i.e. they can see if an ONU is connected to the network), they just can't remotely access it. If the link is down, they'll treat it as any other link issue. But if the link is up and there's a slowdown, they can certainly blame your equipment; they would at least ask you to use their ONU first to confirm that it is a problem on their network.

Also, the subscriber can have full control of VoIP provided by the ISP (assuming the ISP gives those credentials too). You could, for example, forego the landline phone they provided and instead, put a sophisticated phone system behind it. Answering machines, phone extensions, IVR... it can go deep real quick. lol

Of course, the downside is that since you own all of that equipment, it'll be up to you to configure everything. There's no support from the ISP... unless you pay for that as well.

Btw... even their gigabit plan uses PLDT Home ONUs. Such a shame; I was expecting something more robust.

7. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

How would you know if your fiber connection is of the pure type vs the hybrid?

8. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

In other words.... if it's a hobby of yours or something you learned at work then just stick to a more simple "bridge mode".

So at the very least its you can fall back on PLDT-supplied GPON ONU if the subscriber-supplied router goes wonky.

It all depends on a use case.

JMacalinao likes this.
  9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I am using the PLDT-supplied ONU in bridge mode and the landline from the ONU (POTS) is hooked up to a Cisco CallManager Express (FXO). We have 6 IP phones sharing that one outside line. My system also has provisions for wired extensions (FXS), one of which is currently used by the help (local/extension calls only, no outside line).

You'd want a clear demarcation between your equipment and the CPE so that changes applied by you (downstream of the CPE) or by the telco, will have minimal effect on the other.

chris2x, rdy0329 and JMacalinao like this.
  10. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

If you have an ONU (the handset is connected directly to the modem) then you have a FTTH connection. The hybrid one has a splitter from the line jack where one connects to the handset and one connects to the modem. Mine is the latter.

witch_md likes this.