The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Their official advisory did not mention a total loss of connectivity and they said services will remain available. Most isp would always have contingency plans when it comes to this. They will reroute the connection to other submarine cables. This may result to higher latency when connecting to some websites and possible slower connections.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just a bit of Google-foo and you'll find this: https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/0...tivities-in-intl-cable-system-from-sept-25-30

3. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

PLDT-hosted meaning the servers of the streaming services are in the data centers of PLDT in the Philippines.

WFH & online schooling may be impacted if the video conference services are hosted in the US and not in Asian countries.

4. makinao

makinao Active Member

Sky cable just announced the same thing on their FB page. Will Globe be next?

5. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^Nah... they (Globe) announced that they will NOT be affected :)

6. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Twitch kinda laggy right now. Gonna try to re-route to Globe.

7. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just FYI...

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia-America_Gateway

We're right up there with HK and SG. I'm besides myself. :coffee:

8. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

There will be more cable landings in the country in the next two years or so. a telecom company is buying 2 ship laying cables to do the cable laying within the country to new gateways.

9. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Just curious, what telecom would that be?

10. King

[​IMG]

Anyone on Plan 1299 getting this throughput?

11. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

applied the other day to upgrade from dsl to fiber because based on the link provided by pldt our area is fiber ready. called the hotline yesterday to get reference number because online application didn’t give any reference number. to my surprise, the agent told that our area is not yet fiber ready. i don’t know kung sino paniniwalan ko sa kanila the agent or the link provided! :(

12. King

Provide your GPS coordinates and they'll probably say yes. ;) Minsan the postal address given doesn't translate to their fiber port inventory system.

bhoyetjumpay likes this.
  13. makinao

makinao Active Member

Another variable is the installation contractor. When we applied, our contractor said there was fiber in our village, but no "box" on our street. But since our application was live, they made an effort and strung a cable to a box 15 posts away in another street.

bhoyetjumpay likes this.
  14. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Ugh! For more than a week now, I totally lose my internet connection (blinking LOS) for at least 2 hours every day from 11 AM onwards. What’s going on? Can anyone explain pls.? I called PLDT and they do not know either, so they’re sending a technician to check (which we all know takes forever). Techie people, would you have any idea why?

15. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Only one thing is for certain when it comes to LOS - it is definitely out of your control. Nothing you can do except reporting it, until the ISP somehow determines the root cause and resolves it. I've had my fair share of LOS issues regardless of ISP, and most of the time I just report them, and then sit around and wait.

You could try asking your neighbors who are on the same fiber ISP if they have the same issue, just to rule out fiber attenuation on your end (the cable from your house/building to the NAP cabinet).

raypin and witch_md like this.
  16. bhoyetjumpay

how long did you wait for them to install?

17. bhoyetjumpay

I’m surprised and impressed, PLDT called earlier (around 8:30 pm, yes not am) and told that my area is fiber ready. in order to process the request of upgrade, will just make letter of upgrade and send to their twitter account. :)

18. makinao

makinao Active Member

It took a week from our request. When PLDT showed up, they would only install until the closest opening (ex. window, door). Since we wanted it somewhere else, they left us a reel of fiberoptic cable and told us to have our own contractor install it. PLDT came back a week after our contractor installed and connected us.

eag, rdy0329 and bhoyetjumpay like this.
  19. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

can't say but it's one of the two established ones.

macjobber likes this.
  20. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Looks like standard procedure; they don't want to be liable for potential substandard installations by them, because it'll come back to them when issues arise.

Same thing happened to me when I had PLDT fiber installed recently. They didn't want to follow Converge's cable path because it was so jank (lol), so they left us with 60m of cable so I can route it from the box to the top floor where my server cabinet is located. I just tacked it to the firewall with nail clamps. :D

They came back the following morning and did their thing.

chris2x likes this.