The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

honestly you're better off getting a different router and rolling the dice with having your ONU set to bridge mode. :)

2. Xcalith

Xcalith Member

Anyone know how long it takes for PLDT to install Fibr during this period? I'm on my 7th day of waiting and still nothing.

3. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I applied for 1 dozen locations in July to upgrade from DSL or data-capped connection to unlimited fiber because of the business requirement of video conferencing.

1 location took 11 days from form submission to 1st activation.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

5. King

2nd location took 15 days from submission of all documents to 1st activation.

Be aware that MECQ has some commercial buildings not issuing work permits for health & safety reasons.

6. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

So glad our area has about 10 PLDT Fibr NAPs with each NAP with just 2 connections max, so these corrupt contractors cannot do this on our place.

Subcontractors of cable and internet have a long history of corruption.

I remember the days of "one-time payment
    SkyCable connection" :)

raypin likes this.
  7. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

sadly my internet connection here has been “upgraded” to CGNAT. my internet speeds are a bit all over the place right now.

8. King

Anyone on a unlimited 1Gbps fiber connection? Is it true that it's just 9,000/month?

9. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Really!? It used to be 20k something rightt?

10. King

It appears that PLDT offers it for less than ₱13,000/month. From January-July they had a discounted rate of less than ₱9,000/month.

Home accounts are 36 months while business accounts are 24 months long contracts.

Install & other fees may be free if you apply directly to PLDT or have additional fees if you go through 3rd parties like an agent.

Globe offers it at less than ₱9,500/month.

With 1Gbps you can have
    • 200 concurrent full HD video streams from Netflix
    • 67 concurrent 4K video streams from Netflix
    The cost of unlimited 0.0000288Gbps (28.8Kbps) dial-up back in 1996 was ₱3,000/month. In today's money that would be the equivalent of ₱8,586.74/month.

As most people who can afford these plans tend to be business owners then just apply for a business account to be applied at home.

But then again I do not see these accounts being fully utilize in places other than in a dormitory, school, office building or other place that have at least 67 to up to 200 people working/living/visiting them.

#1630 King, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    rdy0329, Aargh and JohannChua like this.
  11. Aargh

With the ongoing pandemic where most would be working from home and having online classes, it has become a lot more important for the public to have access to an affordable and reliable internet connection at home. I hope we can fast track making internet connection significantly cheaper this year. I think PLDT and Globe should offer plans right now at less than <Php500/mo even at just 5mbps speed. I think that should be enough for most to do their online classes and work. Also is it not possible for the government to initiate roll outs of fiber network to those still not being covered by our existing isps and just let them lease out those networks to distribute to end consumers?

12. King

I totally agree with you but to reached that amount you'll need to reduce overhead.

The national govt & LGU needs to reduce the paperwork, red tape and regulations to the bare minimum and make it all online and paperless. It would help if there is some transparency as well so we can see who the hell is screwing around with us.

Bribes, greese money and other SOP needs to be stopped.

PLDT, Globe and any other business whether larger or small are constrained to whistle blow on any govt body that causes red tape, delays and additional costs as there is a risk of retribution from the signatories of these multitudes of permits.

Remember the squirming of Globe's CEO when Duterte did his nightly speeches? PLDT's CEO did not chime in para di sila balikan.

Countries like Thailand were able to reduce their cost by allowing anyone and everyone to become a wired & wireless telco/ISP without need of a Congressional Franchise. The Thai equivalent to DICT/NTC was the sole body to regulate but only in line with following technical specs.

This allowed more than 3 telcos to happen.

In Bangkok you can get unlimited 100Mbps fiber internet for as little 399 baht/month. That's ~₱615/month or ~20% of the ₱2,899/month typical in Manila.

It isn't less than ₱500/month but it's a step in the right direction.

I'd be so happy if unlimited 50Mbps fiber was ₱500/month.

It's been my practice to downgrade to the cheaper 50Mbps plan whenever my contract expires.

From 5,800 to 3,500 to 2,500. By now 50Mbps should cost 1,899/month. COVID-19 pushed up prices, sadly.

I've noticed that every 3 years the cost of bandwidth drops by 50%

#1632 King, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  13. Xcalith

Xcalith Member

I'm currently past 1 month waiting for the Fiber upgrade I requested. That's not even including the previous request I had another month ago which an agent dropped me from without notice. This is just beyond frustrating. It doesn't help that our household has been stuck to the same 1 mbps plan for over a decade now.

14. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

so far making a bigger fuss on Twitter has helped me - but not sure if in this case it's the same old "agent vs line contractor" delineation problem.

15. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

500 pesos/month for 50Mbps wouldn't really happen because it will lessen the Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) for PLDT. The trend is always increase the ARPU. Maybe next year PLDT would remove the 1299 Plan and just increase the bandwidth by 10Mbps of 1699 Plan.

16. Aargh

Probably. But it may also mean a significant increase of user base. I think the Philippines still have a small of number of home broadband users relative to our population. If they can get hold of those that still do not have home broadband connections then that will be new revenue for them and a small revenue is still better than 0 revenue. But of course the plan offering should ensure it wouldn’t cannibalize on their higher tier plans otherwise majority of those would just downgrade their plan. Perhaps Php500/mo for a 50mbps right now isn’t practical for the ISPs but in the future that 50mbps bandwidth wouldn’t really be considered as fast anymore especially with the popularity of 4k video streaming, then 8k, then cloud gaming. So I guess start at a modest bandwidth for such a price point and focus on growing their market share then gradually increasing the bandwidth of the plans. But we really need a significantly cheaper home broadband plans in order to penetrate lower income families.

17. King

Any business & their share holders wants a higher ARPU but that is not feasible when the duopoly is being destroyed by new players.

Namely $DITO throught wireless & Converge's future IPO through fiber. $NOW also wants to expand their wireless offer for 5G from business to consumer users with 10Gbps over 5G.

With more players creating competition & govt hopefully reducing red tape would result in a lower overhead would mean cheaper plans.

If other countries can do it. Why cannot we?
    You would be surprised. A lot of business & consumer postpaid copper/fiber subscribers do not actively manage their subscriptions. They'll cost cut left and right on other matters but they ignore the utility bills.

They treat it like a landline/water/power bill rather than a postpaid mobile # account. I guess they do it that way because there is no tangible reward like a new iPhone every 24 months.

Examples of first activation & never modified until last year to Plan 1699 unlimited 15Mbps dynamic IP with landline
    • January 2007 - Plan 2049 unlimited 3Mbps static IP with landline.
    • August 2008 - Plan 4480 unlimited 6Mbps static IP without landline.
    • December 2010 - Plan 5528.78 unlimited 4Mbps static IP without landline.
    • March 2014 - Plan 5528.78 unlimited 6Mbps static IP with landline.
    • October 2014 - Plan 8960 unlimited 12Mbps static IP without landline.
    Streaming 4K resolution takes up 15Mbps/stream using H.265. Video compression standard H.266 was published last July 2020. It's supposed to reduce data rates by up to 50% which is useful for streaming 8K resolution. So the 15Mbps/stream could be maintained for 2026-2036.

Aargh likes this.
  18. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Bad news and this really concerns me:
    69887ACC-3B5C-47DE-B8AC-A967F8999F89.jpeg

19. King

Streaming to a PLDT-hosted Netflix/Prime Video/YouTube/etc will not be impacted.

20. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

So this is not a total loss of connectivity?
    I hope they put more context in these advisories so as not to create unwarranted panic in these times of WFH and online learning.