The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Ouch.... They're probably swamped with new applications and decided to cash in on the higher-than-usual demand.

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Plan 1699 or 1899 should be unlimited 50Mbps.

PLDT Unlimited 50Mbps with Google Mesh was 2,299/month. Making it the cheapest unlimited 50Mbps account considering the landline is around 700/month and Google Mesh is a bit expensive.

Sky's unlimited 50Mbps without mesh or landline is 1999/month making it 299/month cheaper.

#1602 King, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  3. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

just as i sort of suspected all along. i would not be happy if i am pushed to pay +100 for my current tier. wishful thinking they open up the offer for old subs to be able to get Cignal at no additional cost, since i don't really need the mesh wifi devices as i just upgraded my wifi router.

even more wishful thinking is if they will offer the faster speeds at lower cost...

4. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

The Fibr Plus plans with Cignal does not have the NBA TV PH channel in its lineup. You're gonna have to add more to your monthly and have an upgraded Cignal subscription.

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

DITO Telecom's delay in launch and the WFH environment gave opportunity for PLDT to experiment on pricing. 1699 and 2399 now enjoys a reasonable price gap compared to 1899.

Technically, 100mbps was once priced at 3,500 for new subscribers so they did decrease the price. 2899 gets 100mbps as a sign of good faith (because most might be out of contract already). Also, the dream of 1899 @ 50mbps is officially dead. and here I thought PLDT is on the right track.

Internet shot up to everyone's priority list and PLDT's cashing in. If you notice, they decreased the price points of 50 and 100mbps but increased their potential average revenue per customer. Wise strategy rather than speed boosting 1899 and 2899 and stagnating revenue/profit growth.

Last year we got speed boost, this year PLDT got wallet boost. Next year when competition heats up, PLDT will most likely offer speed boost again to deter switchers.

chris2x likes this.
  6. King

Time to buy $TEL then.

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's a natural business strategy to stimulate growth. Apple employed the same strat with iPhone X and then intro "a cheaper" XR (which was still $50) more than iPhone 8.

8. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Lucky are those who managed to sign up for their Plan 2099 with 50Mbps and 3-pack TP-Link mesh WiFi. This one was pretty short-lived.

9. King

That's a deal if there was one.

It's also my basis for saying that 50Mbps should be 1,899/month by now if it did not come bundled with
    mesh hardware.

Because of COVID-19 it allowed PLDT to increase price.

Sky Cable has a 1,999/month 50Mbps account that has no mesh or landline. Quality of service is dubious.

PLDT Enterprise has a 50Mbps plan promo right now that has 3 months free, no install fee, 24 month contract with an average price of 2,187.50/month. Landline & Cisco Meraki wifi hardware included and business-grade after sales support. It needs to be registered under a company name though. So if you have a business landline without fiber internet I'd upgrade it to that plan.

I noticed that every 2-3 years the cost of Mbps is cut in half.

By 12/24/36 months from now I hope 50Mbps will cost less than 1,000/month.

I'm for common sense regulations but for fiber internet & 5G proliferation to happen & lower the cost of postpaid subscription govt needs to get all permits approved within 2 days and lower the cost of deployment. Ideally govt fees should be standardized nation-wide to 1 form so construction could be lowered.

The Thais managed to get unlimited 100Mbps (up/down) for less than P649/month.

We should pirate their internet model.

In my mind today's unlimited fiber internet with landline accounts should be priced this way.

• 25Mbps 499/month
    • 50Mbps 999/month
    • 100Mbps 1,499/month
    • 250Mbps 1,999/month
    • 500Mbps 2,999/month
    • 1Gbps 4,999/month
    • 10Gbps 9,999/month
    With over 80% of all households with a fiber internet account.

#1609 King, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    macjobber, Shinahashirome and chris2x like this.
  10. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm on Plan 100Mbps but only getting up to 88Mbps lately. When I sent a tweet to PLDT_Cares, I got a standard, "your area is included in outgoing system enhancement" BS. Anyone got the same response?

11. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

heyy i just noticed this too :( i'll try asking too and see if i'll the same response.

EDIT: i restarted my ONU, Mikrotik router and Mikrotik AP - i'm back to 100mbps :)

#1611 chris2x, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  12. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Same plan, no change on my end. Must really be an isolated problem.

This measurement was taken while at least three video streams were happening (FB video on a phone, Netflix on Roku, and Youtube on my PC)... and these are just the ones I'm aware of.

[​IMG]

13. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

guess it was an isolated case after all - that a reboot resolved. :)

14. Dekra

^ Okay, will try to reset the ONU, thanks

15. WickedMac

WickedMac Active Member

I'm also subscribed to 100mbps but I only get 41mbps. How do you reset the ONU? TIA!

16. King

When doing benchmark from
    Do the following
    • Tell all users on the network that you're doing a benchmark and internet will not be available for 10 mins, tops.
    • Temporarily change password of WiFi router this prevents any wifi devices to suck up bandwidth
    • Disconnect or turn off all wired clients like other desktops, NAS or smart TV
    • Reboot modem, router and device that is wired directly to the modem/router to be used for benchmark
    • Do not conduct the test through wifi as interference can impact Mbps throughput
    • Just operate 1 computer for running the benchmark that is wired directly to the router/modem
    Doing this focuses all bandwidth for the test to 1 device.

More often than not the reduced Mbps reported may be caused by other users/devices or piss poor wifi reception

After doing that if you still get less than 95% of your actual Mbps then send a report or complaint with details on the preparations on what you did to get the benchmark. Tendency is they will have you do everything I listed if you didn't mention it.

Be aware that some ISPs have modified their end user's settings to temper P2P file sharing and other bandwidth-intensive applications to allow for WFH & online classes. You need to write a letter of request to the ISP to restore these services.

#1616 King, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    JohannChua likes this.
  17. Dekra

I just toggled the switch on/off at the back of the modem.

Slight improvement at 90mbps, but still.

WickedMac likes this.
  18. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Is there any chance to make lan 2,3 or 4 of my pldt fibr modem tobe used for the wired connection?

cause i heard they used it for cignal tv subs...

19. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

In my experience with my own 100mbps plan, 88-90 mbps speediest results are actually good already, considering all the above. But sometimes, the upload speeds do go beyond 100mbps up to 150mbps even.

20. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

after replacing my wifi router speed tests hit 150mbps before presumably getting throttled down back to 100-120mbps.