The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Should be okay. A friend shared with me that their 25mbps was enough for his family of five. He and three three kids (teenagers) use Zoom with video on alot. His wife is just a relatively light to moderate Internet user. Family time is spent using Netflix. Not sure though if it's 4k movies but if you're okay with HD, then shouldn't be a problem.

manager likes this.
  2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Are they concurrent users?

If all the users watched Netflix at the same time then 25Mbps is plenty.

Per Speedtest most PH households are using 22.31Mbps connections.

For a typical consumer household going beyond 18Mbps hits into the law of diminishing returns.

In the mid-90s dial-up modems (0.014-0.056Mbps) was so slow that any increase was welcome.

When we jumped to DSL (0.128-0.256Mbps) in 2001 was more very nice as it frees up the landline for calls/fax. Fast enough for Napster.

Coming from DSL 3Mbps to Fiber 100Mbps then it becomes too fast that your consumer-grade wifi router would overheat and require active fan cooling.

So you drop down to Fiber 20Mbps then settle at the sweet spot of 50Mbps.

Then just maintain that Mbps by downgrading to the next 50Mbps plan.

I'll be out of contract by next year. Hopefully by then 50Mbps costs 1,699/month or less.

What would lower the cost of internet, cellular data, SMS and voice calls further would be doing away with Congressional Franchise for telcos and international fiber cables and reducing red tape to the bare minimum. That's how the Thais did it.

#1582 King, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  3. manager

manager Active Member

@King thanks for all that data. My office used to pay for my 100mbps connection. Maintaining it till I can recontract end of the year.

My only worry is if most are on the 25 or 50mbps plans it might be congested? Is that still a thing?

4. manager

manager Active Member

My TV is too small for 4K so we're all HD in the house.

coolpix32 likes this.
  5. King

Ask your ISP the date of 1st connection and expiration of your plan. It's surprising that you're actually out of contract.

If you need a landline only PLDT or Globe can offer fiber + business landline.

Business Plans 50Mbps
    It will only be congested if you do not have a whitelist/blacklist on your network equipment that blocks sites like YouTube, Netflix and other non-work related sites.

Each use case is different so I cannot recommend this or that.

At my friend's company I suggested they have redundancies per location. So they use a network gateway that allows for connections to two ISPs. One account is unlimited while the other is 100GB/month. When the unlimited account goes down it failsover to the 100GB/month. Our expectation is that the unlimited account will be up within 7 days and wont eat into the 100GB entirely. Both fiber accounts have landlines.

braindeadph and manager like this.
  6. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Mu brother uses a special router to load balance their company's connection. They subscribe both to Convergeitc and PLDT. The converge is

7. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Yes, as far as I know. Kids use Zoom with video concurrently. I think for Netflix it’s just one at a time or two simultaneous at most.

8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Our internet connection now tops at 160Mbps because of the temporary speed boost.

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm getting around 160 mbps down and 480 mbps up.

10. quakercountry

quakercountry Active Member

11. quakercountry

quakercountry Active Member

12. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

13. oj88

Maxing out the WiFi 802.11an on my 2013 iPad Air. Probably the best treason to upgrade? Lol.

[​IMG]

14. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m getting a 150mbps dl and 480mbps ul! I hope the speed boost will be permanent eventually. I remember a few months back they also offered a temporary speed boost but it eventually become permanent.

15. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

i find something weird on my connection. if i use speedtest app, i can't go beyond 100mbps, but when i test it from google wifi, i'm getting 150mbps.

finding it weird

16. King

Be aware that certain ISPs have took up to blocking ports to curb bandwidth consumption to help with WFH.

So you need to reach out to your ISP and request that ports be unblocked & bridge mode be activated.

17. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Speedboost gone now hehe.

[​IMG]

18. oj88

Back to "decent" bandwidth. lol

[​IMG]

19. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

i wonder if this means we will get permanent speed boosts again in the coming months (possibly to continue staying competitive)...

JohannChua and Aargh like this.
  20. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

A new set of plans for new subscribers. Now it's 2999 for 100 Mbps (previously it was 2899 for 100 Mbps after the speed boost). I hope they don't raise the price for old subscribers at 2899 for 100 Mbps. There's also Fibr Plus plans. Add P100 for Cignal (Plan 290) and a mesh router. They switched to TP Link from Google WiFi.[​IMG]

#1600 kinse_44, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    JohannChua likes this.