The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

PLDT still issues public IPs on most of their residential plans, so there’s that. I was able to purchase a domain that dynamically updates so I can VPN to my home network, among other stuff. Also, their upload speed is typically twice that of the download speed so getting something from home like streaming from my Plex server is quick.

I still think that all telcos are selfish SOBs but for me at least, PLDT remains the most practical choice.

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

PLDT uses CGNAT in new markets and provinces, even with a huge pool of IPV4 addresses, they are still running out as home broadband adoption comes to rural areas.

I have yet to encounter it so I guess, NCR and surrounding provinces are safe.

Speed boost for Plan 2899 and up is underway (from 50mbps to 100mbps), but if it does require being locked up again, then no thanks. 25mbps seems to be the sweet spot for our household. With the help of the third telco, we might see it bumped to fill the 50mbps void.

#1482 rdy0329, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  3. oj88

There's is nothing in the communiqué that mentions anything about a) Whether the speed boost is temporary or permanent, and b) Any statement that implies that there's going to be a lock-in period.

4. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

General public does not understand, care or even know what those things are.

What they will understand is more numbers/Mbps per peso

Globe's 100Mbps plan is now 2,499/month but with partial functionality.

PLDT's 100Mbps plan is now 2,899/month is fully functional depending whether old sub or new sub.

ISP's are abusing their state-sponsored franchises. If you want things to improve then apply the Thai model of ISP deregulation where in anyone can run submarine cables from abroad to the Philippines and create a network so long as they comply with hardware/software requirements as designated by the Thai equivalent to our DICT or NTC.

The Thais doing this allows pricing like this.

[​IMG]

990 Baht is 1699 Pesos http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/

PLDT's Plan 1699 is now 20Mbps down.

Plan 6000 is 300Mbps down.

It's a sad & pathetic joke that a 3rd telco will not resolve.

It then forces people with 1699 & cheaper plans to depend on Free Facebook and the disinformation that they spew out.

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Again, speed does not equal to overall experience. There are a lot of factor that goes into advertising a speed.

My cousin in China has 1Gbps fiber to home but loads a US website slower than that of my fiber here at home. That's because their market is heavily localized which means less investment on international links.

Whereas our internet culture relies on a mix of local & accessing servers outside our shores. Telcos here are more careful to advertise speeds that they can't meet due to congestion of their undersea cables.

Few things that helped improved our speeds:
    1. Globe finally offered unlimited plans to coincide with the launch of their Asia-America-Gateway.
    2. YouTube and Netflix provided servers (Content Delivery Network) to Globe/PLDT - this means you get popular shows faster since it's within the same network.
    • I remember accessing Netflix via DNS Spoofing and was able to observe that the nearest server then was in California.
    • Yes, PLDT has a direct connection to CA but it gets congested at night.
    • Video quality would often be all over the place as it struggles to maintain 2mbps on a 5mbps line then.
    • A regular consumer might not know about these things and just assume that PLDT is blatantly slow.
    3. PLDT/Globe finally agreed on IP peering which helped keep local traffic from bouncing abroad and then back.
    4. Converge's entry set a new standard for speed (1,500/20mbps) back then.

Why Slower than others?

My optimistic/realistic take on this is that they need the money to expand coverage, part of the money we pay is for that. No one's going to get a higher plan if you could get 300mbps at 1,600/mo.
    • When Fibr was new, 8mbps costs P3,500 as opposed to 10mbps DSL at 4,000.
    Once the market is saturated and their ROI is covered, you'll see their gears shift to price/speed and gimmicks like "two routers" or *gasps* actually giving great customer service.
    • Markets like Singapore and HK are easy to cover, and since they have covered all corners and have excess capacity, Telcos are now offering insane speeds at cheap prices.
    • China, South Korea, Japan, Thailand also benefits from mostly being a single land mass which means easier roll out at lower costs.
    • For now, let's just rest easy we're already on fiber tech, upgrades are easier and bigger down the line without significant tech limitation like that of DSL.

#1485 rdy0329, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    lsalapare, gaol, Aargh and 1 other person like this.
  6. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Your points are correct but I am speaking for those who do not know, understand or care about nuances which is more than 90% of all subs.

pandecoco likes this.
  7. Ikon

Ikon Member

This is the new plan of sky. I think pldt should make their unli 1899 plan 50mbps.
    [​IMG]

8. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Thanks, updated my spreadsheet.

PLDT knows that they have the largest fiber/copper network in the country so they can price the way they do.

If govt is really serious about competition then lower the bar of entry.

Let any company that have the capital land international submarine cable into the country then make them to comply to national security and technical standards.

I want PLDT unlimited 50Mbps & landline to cost no more than 1299/month.

#1488 tweek, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  9. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Anyone here in the old Triple Play plan 3500 with speedboost already? We have ours from previous 50u/100d, now at 100u/100d.

We have also our Cignal IPTV channel line up upgraded. From the Postpaid 490 line up, they upgraded us way up to Postpaid 1590.

https://pldthome.com/cignal-channels

10. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

How did everyone get the speed boost, did you need to contact them? I always got the speed boost automatically, unannounced.

11. oj88

You get a text message from PLDT (if your number is the registered owner of the account) with a link to a webpage. Clicking the link, it will go through some account validation and once you've satisfied everything, it will leave you with a message that your speed boost will be activated within 24 hrs.

I went through the exercise around mid-morning and my speed boost was activated by the time I got home the same day.

SE20 likes this.
  12. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

we got the same notification too....is this for real? the speed doubled from 50 to 100mbps?

i really do hope they are not taking us for a ride or anything like that lol

13. oj88

Knowing PLDT, whenever they give out promos, it includes stipulations on how long it will be in effect. For instance, when we first signed up with Fibr Plan 2,899 (50mbps), it was clear in the mechanics that the 100mbps speed boost was a promo good only for the first 6 months. True enough, half a year later (plus a month or two), my bandwidth reverted to 50mbps.

This time however, the speed boost did NOT include any mention of a time element. I truly believe that PLDT is doing this, probably amidst pressure from marketing, to close the gap with its competitors. That said, it would be safe to assume that this will be permanent... at least until the next time they'll give out another speed boost... whenever that may be.

This has been typical of PLDT since the myDSL years. We started with just 128kbps in early 2000's and by the time we switched to Fibr last year, it's been upgraded several times to end up with 15mbps. Although in actuality, we were only getting a measly 8mbps on a good day, due the nature of DSL running on old, noisy copper lines.

14. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I also got the same speed boost from 50Mbps to 100Mbps after following their instructions.

I remember SKY/Bayan DSL upgrading the speed of their existing clients to match their offerings to new subscribers BUT ONLY AFTER I called to specifically request for the speed boost (and it was unfortunate that I learned about the boost only months after it was available). They didn't upgrade their existing subscribers automatically, unlike what PLDT is currently doing, and hopefully, will keep on doing.

15. oj88

I was thinking of a reason why they had to go through the hoops of account validation before upgrading their subscribers. PLDT could've just upgraded all qualified subscribers. Besides, who's going to complain about getting twice as much bandwidth as before without shelling out an additional centavo?

But then, it occurred to me that they're probably doing this based on statistics that not all subscribers would take notice of the advisory. Meaning, they didn't have to upgrade subscribers who failed to respond. At the end of the day, they end up having more surplus bandwidth.

It's a grey area, but then again, maybe they have a more compelling justification why this process had to be done.

16. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^^^

I can only think of one thing. Marketing. By receiving a message you’ve gotten a speed boost, you will feel rewarded. Activating it yourself feels like you’ve accomplished something.

For those wondering if it’s temporary or permanent, it is permanent. I talked to a CSR.

17. oj88

Ah, the plot thickens. It's now clear that part of the reason behind the weird online sign-up is for PLDT to gather email addresses for marketing.

Thank you anti-spam filters. Hahaha.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

^ And contact blocking on iOS/Android :)

So after a week of speed boost, I think PLDT adjusted our speed profile. From 100/100, it became 100/250.

Triple Play 3500:
    [​IMG]

2019 "speed boost" for us:
    - From 50/100 to 100/250
    - Cignal channel line up from plan 490 to 1590
    - IPv6 /64
    - No additional charges
    - No account lock-in change

Except from the marketing tactic, I think this is not bad from PLDT.

chris2x likes this.
  19. oj88

^ Nice.

I'm not complaining about their marketing tactic. It's more of a "I knew it!" moment about a situation that's borderline too-good-to-be-true. Hehehe.

pepspeps likes this.
  20. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

"leverage" is such an ugly word.

goes to show how these people think.

I would have used " incentive" instead.