The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

My friend was "lucky" to be one of the few to get PLDT fibr first, they were paying 3,500 for 8mbps back then. I asked him recently how's the speed and got surprised that it was still 8. I told him he could get 50 at 2899, PLDT changed him over the new plan. Methinks PLDT is sitting on a huge /early/ adopter who could care less about speeds and are paying old prices. No wonder they target new tech @ the rich first. They also helped pay for rollout for us mass-market consumers so I don't mind.

Globe's offering is better but they're nowhere to be found. Mas nakikita ko pa converge TBH.

PLDT's Netflix server has been a huge PITA during the holidays, my 50mbps can only stream 5-15mbps, when viewing Netflix content. Quality changes are noticeable or stops altogether. Speed tests are normal, btw. Reflects the growing pains of Netflix in the US when it was new. Seems like everyone's on board. PLDT might need to request for a second CDN (yes, Netflix gives them to ISP for free).

Globe has Cebu and Manila CDNs.

They can offer x2 speed upgrade all year long and no one's going to be the wiser, until such time that your resources (backend) are under stress (Netflix, case in point). Load management is key. advertised speed is no longer a major factor, I'd like to think we graduated from that thinking.

#1381 rdy0329, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. King

King Well-Known Member

Come to think of it I normally contact PLDT to initiate speed upgrades when rollouts are noticed by end users on forums like Philmug. It was only during Christmas week where in the speed up was done without my intervention.

Once my contract ended 4 years ago I opted for to end it as I did not want 100Mbps. I then applied for a new contract to get 100Mbps for 12 months then 50Mbps from the 13th to Nth month. A simple downgrade would not allow me to get the 100Mbps for 12 months perk.

My hope last month was the doubling of speed during Christmas would stay the same for at most 3 years instead of 3 days to allow me to downgrade to 1899. Cutting my bill by half.

I think it is about time that telco and ISPs should be excluded from the the public utilities act to allow anyone and everyone to be able to have a submarine communications cable to other countries & create their own ffiber and mobile network. Have DICT just dictate hardware and software infrastructure standards so their is interpolation among all networks.

Thailand did that and unlimited 100Mbps down/up with landline costs less than P1,300/month.

PLDT and the other telcos do not appear to have the financial or logistical ability to rollout the service everywhere.

In 2017 only 3.24 out of 100 Filipinos have a fixed broadband subscription. In Thailand it is 11.889 out of every 100 Thai. If all that govt red tape was removed then I am fairly certain we can easily catch up to Thailand.

3. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

BF Paranaque XP

^ Did the above tips back in June 2017 > to upgrade our PLDT my DSL..

lots of Phone calls + 1x a week Visit to our nearest PLDT Branch Office ( Las Pinas )..

Did look like a stalker "kuryente gang" :sneaky: looking for pldt fibr box at our village streets..

referencing a few co-villagers address who've already got fibr cables subs during follow-ups help too..

*** Took a lot of patience really.. but the biggest push PLDT for them to process was..

when Globe fiber & Converge started posting tarps + leaflet ADs on the main avenue.. :D

4. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Those who upgraded to Google Wifi plans how was your experience? How long did it take them to deliver the google wifi routers? Thanks

Dipp likes this.
  5. kerravie

kerravie Member

Super frustrated with PLDT right now. We’ve been having intermittent connection for a week, I’ve called their customer service hotline for 6 times already, and the agents that i was able to talk to said there’s no problem on their end. They said they’ll have a technician swing by to check, 3 technicians already went here in different days but they said they’ve fixed the problem on the box and that our internet connection should be ok now. Still disconnecting!

6. iJav

iJav Active Member

Anybody know how to setup up bridge mode for the PLDT ONU? I have the Huawei HG8245U unit. I had been on bridge mode for the past year or so but seems pldt may have recently upgraded the firmware and reverted all settings to router mode on the device. I tried to switch it back to bridge mode but it is saying that 'the current service type is not supported in bridge wan mode'.

7. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

used to have to call PLDT to have it done remotely... have you tried reaching out to them over Twitter and such?

8. iJav

iJav Active Member

I was hoping not to have to go through the hassle of contacting pldt knowing how long it takes for them to handle requests. In any case, thanks for the suggestion..

9. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

i know, it's always a pain to go this way... my brother had this back and forth for weeks to get this done. and am dreading the time when i'll have to call in to have my ONU looked into (seems to be having fits lately).

10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Our entire condo block on PLDT FIBR just conked out after that earthquake on Monday. Until now that damn company hasn’t fixed their connection there. It’s been 4 days already. This ranks as the second most excruciating pet peeve of our complex since management allowed residents to use the swimming pool water during that idiotic Manila Water-inspired daily interruptions.

11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Is it true that PLDT will lower your speed when in bridge mode?

12. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

i personally haven't seen any change to my internet speed on bridge mode. YMMV.

13. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

crap. :(

14. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Nope

15. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Any speed bumps schedule for 2019?

16. rdy0329

75mbps is in the pipeline for Plan 2899 to compete with converge's recent upgrades. Sadly, they can't be bothered to make it an even 100mbps. 5G is looming, it'd look bad for fiber to have LTE-like speeds when 5G is out.

17. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

a speed bump is still a speed bump... :) any idea when this will take effect, or is this something that you have you "apply" for?

18. rdy0329

Am not sure, but it's in line with 5G upgrades of PLDT-SMART. Historically, they usually upgrade towards the end of the year to get those holiday pogi points.

19. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

they have a new promo now not sure if im late or new...
    30Mbps @ 2.2k w/ 3 Google WiFi or 60Mbps @ 3k something... funny, 3-year contract or 3 x monthly + outstanding to discontinue the service. :(

20. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Looking forward to that so I can downgrade to the new 50Mbps account. So long as I have enough bandwidth for 3 4K Netflix streams I'm happy.