The Photographer's Learning Thread: Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by LeoCastillo, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

The camera is definitely the X-T100. With regards to what accesories, do you have an idea what the owner has already? What is the profile of the owner(age, gender)? What’s the main purpose of the camera? Does the owner like shooting portrait? Landscape? Take video?

2. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I think the family just bought the camera itself. They’re family oriented, that like to travel a lot, mostly to the beach. Portraits, too. Videos, parang not that much. And I think this is their first “real” camera, mostly used their cam phones lang all the time.

3. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

^^
    I would really recommend a good sd card. Most of the shops just include an 8gb sd card to new camera buyers. I suggest at least 128gb sd card, I highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme UHS-I Card.
    It may not be the most exciting thing that a new camera owner would want to have, but the only time they would realize they actually need one is when their current sd card gets full or worse gets corrupted. Next that I recommend are extra batteries, if they travel a lot then they definitely don’t want the camera battery dying on them while they are doing some sightseeing. I do not recommend an original fuji battery cause they are ridiculously priced, get a reputable third party battery like wasabi power np-w126s. You can buy two of those at almost half the price of a single original fuji battery. Next I would recommend a good bag and a strap, check out peak design everyday sling bag 5L and peak design leash for the strap.

4. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Awesome! Thanks for the specific tips! :)

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Can I have your thoughts on Optical Flash Triggers?

I have an Olympus compatible flash (TTL works fine)

But during our last party, since some use Nikon & Sony RX100s, they cannot use my flash+umbrella set-up.

If I use an optical flash trigger, will it work on any camera... as long as they have their flash on?

6. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Questions from a mirrorless camera user with an 18-55mm and 35mm lens:

1. Do you have tips for photographing sunrise and sunsets? (what ISO, shutter speed and aperture to use)
    2. How about night photography (cityscapes)?
    3. Does one need a dry box to keep cameras and lenses when not in use? (i keep seeing these in posts for sale of camera stores and i'm not quite sure if i need these)
    4. Apart from Manila Bay (for the sunset), are there any picturesque/photogenic :LOL: spots in Metro Manila that you can recommend?

7. ericb

ericb Active Member

Sir Leo, complete beginner here, do you still teach photography classes? :)