The Photographer's Learning Thread: Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by LeoCastillo, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Active Member

Not really a question but I'm posting it here just so the new guys will also learn and not become a victim themselves. The industry itself is going on a downward spiral with some people thinking photography and photographs are cheap, and cost nothing more than a cup of coffee or a siopao-and-Zest O ex deal. Let's do our part:

PHOTOGRAPHER'S SHOT PRINTED ON SOUVENIR SHIRT -- WITHOUT PERMISSION

http://www.digitalphotographer.ph/n...-printed-on-souvenir-shirt-without-permission

2. pael

pael Well-Known Member

Recently, a friend of mine found out that someone is using his photos in Instragram (by simply searching on the hashtags he used). He created a dummy Instagram account calling out the imposter, posted the screenshots of the Instragram post vs the original source, and some witty caption. Based on the screenshots, there was clear intent to steal the photos since the watermarks were cropped.

After several minutes, the imposter DM'd the dummy account, begging to take down the posts, and he even had the nerve to say "not all of my photos are stolen."

Shadowfox likes this.
  3. rage30

rage30 Member

Hi. Any suggestion where to take photography lessons for kids around 12yrs old? Leo, still offering classes?

4. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi Rage30, I'm currently in Tokyo taking my MBA so no photo classes for now ;-)

I'll expect there'll be some photo classes that'll come out for summer!

Leo

macjobber likes this.
  5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Any recommendations for a camera with a short shutter lag for carrying around? Mirror less or point and shoot. I used to carry around a 50D and it was fine until my third child. Now, I have to carry other stuff too. I need something that can take a shot fast right after the autofocus locks in.

#425 Juice, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  6. rage30

rage30 Member

Hi anybody still remembers the shop in hk where we can buy cameras? Forgot to the name and address of the shop.

Hi Leo any model of video cam that you would recommend? Just for family use :)

#426 rage30, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  7. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

New Sankyo at holiday inn TST?

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

If it's just for family use, then your iPhone is fine ;-)

shutterbug likes this.
  9. rage30

rage30 Member

Thanks Eag.

Leo, my iPhone is full already :) How about this model? Sony HDR PJ675?

10. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

looking at buying a sony a6000 but contemplating on which lens to buy with it. options are the kit lens (16-50mm f/3.5-5.6) or the samyang/rokinon 12mm f2.0.

i read that mf is not too much of an issue in a6000 because of its focus peaking.

my main use will be to learn a bit about photography and just take decent pictures of my trips (landscape and some activities) as well as night photography (stars, city lights) etc. nothing too serious.

my budget is just around that figure (~1000 usd).

i can close my eyes and buy both but I'm thinking with the kit lens i might just always use auto and wont try to learn :D

appreciate your feedback. thanks!

11. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

Get both lenses if you can. The wide prime for your landscapes and the kit lens for your other activities :)

12. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Since you'll be shooting landscapes, get the A6000, a sharp 24 2.8 ( or wider) manual focus lens with adapter, set to F8 or F11, focus to infinity and fire away! MF is fun with focus peaking.

13. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Active Member

Any feedback regarding the Canon 5D Mark IV and 50mm f/1.2L? I'm particularly curious about the Mark IV's ISO invariance and exposure latitude, the dynamic range, and how it holds up against the benchmark by which others are measured against -- the Nikon D810 and D750. Upgrading to full frame soon and looking for a 5D series body & 50mm f/1.2L combo.

14. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Active Member

Hello! My apologies if for some reason it's in the wrong thread but I'm posting it here because I'm directing this question specifically at fellow photographers who use the Mac for post-production work.

My old laptop finally "retired" and I'm looking for a replacement laptop. I prefer OS X since some of the software I use is only available for Macs. I was originally looking at the MacBook Pro 13-inch 2015 model but it's no longer in stock now, replaced by the newer late 2016 model. Yes, I admit the lack of legacy USB 3.0 ports and a built-in SD card reader was a deal breaker.

In the event I'm unable to purchase the older rMBP 13-inch, would you recommend the entry level rMBP 13-inch (no touchbar) as an alternative? I won't be using it as a desktop replacement but I'll be running Lightroom, Photoshop and the like for minor editing work or perhaps photo retouching when I'm on the go or shooting on location? I'll be upgrading the RAM to 16GB. Specs-wise, the older 2015 model had better specs, at least on paper, but they new 2016 model may have a new few tricks under its sleeves considering the newer technology under its hood. For peripherals, the only device I plan to hook it up with would be a graphics pen/tablet and then the Apple wireless mouse. Thanks!

15. MannySee

MannySee New Member

Very informative thread Sir Leo. Thank you for all the tips and insights that you are giving to all specially newbie photographers like myself. I just got a Pana MILC (M43) camera this Christmas. I tried to take photos of my daughter while in a ride in Enchanted Kingdom. The ride was going in circles and it was kinda fast. To top it off it was around 7pm and the place was dimly lit. Tried shooting on Shutter mode with a 45-150mm f4-5.6, all the pictures were either blurred or too dark. I also tried to follow the movement of the ride, it also did not work. Would you recommend a flash in this situation to freeze the motion?

16. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi Shadowfox, I still have a 2012 MBP that is still doing very very well on Photoshop and Lightroom. The technology has reached a point that even if you get a basic computer right now in 2016 it'll do well for PS and LR. For that purpose, either the 2015 or 2016 model will do fine, the decision point will now be what other specs you'd like to have (like the SD card reader or the touchbar).

Leo

17. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

As a rule, to capture subjects frozen in action requires that you need a LOT of light. This is why you never see great frozen shots in badminton courts but see a lot of them in say, beach volleyball.

Flash will work as it adds light in the equation, but it'll act as a single light source. If you know how to use a tripod, and combine flash with slow sync speed and can have the flash fire not on top of the camera you'll be able to capture some great stuff. It won't be easy but it'll be great!

Leo

MannySee likes this.
  18. MannySee

MannySee New Member

Sir Leo, Thank you for the pointers. I will try this next time and hope I can pull it off. Just need to buy a suitable flash first and a stable tripod. I appreciate all your help.

19. glennba27

glennba27 Active Member

I'm using the 2016 13-inch MBP without touchbar (8GB RAM) to process my RAW files, and just like Leo said, it will do well with photo editing apps. With regards to the missing memory card reader, I just bought an Apple USB-C to USB adapter worth 450 Pesos and a Transcend USB 3.0 memory card reader to solve the issue. I don't hook my macbook to an external monitor so I didn't bother spending on more expensive adapters.

20. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Active Member

Thank you guys! I'll see if I could still get the rMBP mid 2015 (MF840) but the late 2016 model sounds like a good option too with its better Retina screen that has more color gamut. I'll do fine without the touchbar, old habits die hard as they say -- I kinda prefer the F keys. Haha! Will just use the savings to beef up the RAM to 16GB and then maybe get a Wacom Intuos.