The PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ronnel0918, Sep 19, 2014.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

DLSS and FSR should keep on fighting for implementation; better for us consumers as it gives our cards more value for the money and longevity. (y)

As I failed to switch to Radeon this generation, hopefully by the time I upgrade again (to a Radeon card in maybe in 4-5 years) FSR will be a lot more mature further as I think the technology is very promising especially how easy it is to implement for the developers. It looks like GPU prices and stocks have been normalizing a bit as my discord keeps pinging the microcenter group and I see images that shelves have stocks for both RTX cards and Radeons almost every week. Good to know as we all need a good card in this pandemic we're in.

Been quiet lately because I've been thoroughly enjoying The Witcher 3 so much that I've already spent 110 hours into it and I'm still on the second island. This game is amazing-- Lore, visuals, music, content, everything, busog na busog na ako and I'm not yet even done with it. Glad that I'm late to the game as I get to experience it in 2k 144hz on an ultrawide monitor, ultra on everything. Best 339 pesos I've spent on a game, comes with all DLCs as well. Whenever I watch some youtube guides for some certain events, I'd wonder why it kind of looks terrible and slow, only to realize that the guide was done via the PS4 version. :ROFLMAO:

After this, there's Battlefield 1 and Half Life Alyx up next. Wish I have time to play games all week. :whistle:

#861 warmgreentea, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    raypin likes this.
  2. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Been quiet because I got busy with work. :D I do plan on going back to gaming; my colleagues have been playing Valheim (and they have a private server), so I may join them soon.

Also upgraded my monitor recently to the Odyssey G9. Ultra-ultrawide 1440p at 240Hz... So wide, it feels immersive doing just productivity work. :ROFLMAO: Can't wait to play games on it extensively.

3. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

I noticed that the local pricing of the RTX 30-Series LHR models are a bit cheaper than non LHR models but still way above MSRP. Globally, the prices seem to be dropping. It's a promising trend that I hope, continues.

4. warmgreentea

Go triple Odyssey G9 just like what Lynus (LTT) did. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

5. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

I would need a bigger space even before looking at the cost. :ROFLMAO: But really, that video was one of the most ridiculous ones I've seen from them. I'm good with just one. Hehe

Speaking of space, thanks to this monitor's... girth (lol), I have this weird conundrum of whether it's better to have my secondary monitor at the side or at the top:

21-06-23 22-27-10 0294.jpg 21-07-06 23-40-37 0338.jpg

When it's on the side, I feel like it's not very useful there since it's pretty much outside of my peripheral vision. However, when it's on the top, it feels "weird" for my eyes to look up from time to time (or maybe it's just because I'm not used to it). It looks more visually pleasing though IMO.

eag, warmgreentea, Leon21 and 3 others like this.
  6. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

^Damn thats a pretty sight! (y)

Personally i think putting it on top is better. It would be easier to look upwards than sideways (maybe even turning your neck)

7. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Top seems to look better. Though admittedly your head would have to move perpendicularly - up and down for the 2 displays and left and right for the wiiide monitor:ROFLMAO:

8. warmgreentea

I also vote it to be on top unless you'd love getting stiff necks hahaha. UWA monitors are just so life changing (except for esports titles) for pc gaming, as my experience with Battlefield 1 and now Witcher 3 has been so immersive because of it.

9. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Personally, I'd choose to put it on the side because I find looking to the side more natural than looking up. It also depends on the nature of the work you are doing.

10. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Decided to keep the secondary monitor up top. Aside from the "eye exercise" (lol), maybe this will help me with my posture since this is kinda forcing me to sit upright (at least sometimes) instead of always leaning forward.

11. max_Moon

I received my RTX 3080 Ti last weekend. This is the first GPU I've owned where I felt the need to undervolt because the card is often hitting its 350W power limit and the GPU temp was in the mid-80's at load. Out-of-the box, the average boost clock is around 1755 MHz and the fans were louder than what I am used to.

At the moment, the undervolt is stable at 1815MHz @ 825mV in the frequency-voltage curve with a -290MHz core offset to avoid opportunistic boosting. In benchmarks and in games, the GPU clock is now around 1830-1845MHz effective. Temps went down by about 4~6C with a custom quiet fan curve applied. Average total system power consumption is about 50W lower more or less.

Undervolted, the card is actually about 2~3% faster than stock while running cooler, quieter and more energy efficient. I'm quite happy with it right now.

[​IMG]

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/k37rg

#871 max_Moon, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    bowman60 likes this.
  12. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Wow those are really high temps. Out of curiosity, which brand of 3080 ti did you buy?

13. max_Moon

Yes, I was describing the absolute peak load temps I was getting out-of-the box in the most demanding games and benchmarks when I was doing the initial testing of the card. Now, it's mostly in the low to mid seventies average in actual game play which is in line with the previous high end cards I've used which actually had lower rated TBPs of 250W. I also have all the fans in the PC configured to spin at lower rpms for low noise. I'm fine with the temps as long as they're under 80C.

I got the Palit RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Pro, btw.

14. warmgreentea

Anyone here knows where I can get lights on mechanical keyboards repaired/replaced? Some sort of shop that deals with these problems? My K2 that I use for mac has two conked out LEDs on the Z and H button. It's white only so it should be easier to match with a replacement LEDs. It is a long shot but yeah, it triggers my OCness very much everytime I see it. :eek:

15. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

i'm following this question - one of my LEDs also broke. will let you know as well if i find someone who can do it. :)

warmgreentea likes this.
  16. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

I always have my KBs serviced by mechmania. They’re based in BF homes so if you’re from the south or anywhere near it it’s an option. I know someone who had his KB milmaxed and IIRC one of the leds got damaged and they repaired it, not 100% sure though. They have an FB page. I suggest you ask them thru FB messenger.

If not and you’re a fan of linear switches, use alpacas. Wow those things are great but they greatly diminish lights, to the point where you can no longer see them! :ROFLMAO:

On an unrelated matter, what utility do you guys use to control the fan curve of your gpus? And care to share your quiet fan curves and temps? TY!!

17. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

I use MSI Afterburner for monitoring and control of GPU fan.

max_Moon and bowman60 like this.
  18. warmgreentea

I checked their FB page and they seem to be a bunch of avid hobbyists of mechanical keyboards, which I really like since you know their service is mixed with passion! Will give them a message when I'm not that occupied with work. I live in Scout area in QC so BF Homes is somewhat of a journey for me, but I do have a friend who I want to visit there someday when I can, and this gives me extra excuse to do so, hehe. Thanks for the hat tip bro!

I use gateron browns with there and I'm pretty okay with them. Not for gaming, just for work and typing, designing, the usuals haha.

Lastly, I don't really tinker with my fan curves or fans at all with my machine. I leave it to autopilot and to spin as much as I want to, as I don't hear them naman when I'm gaming since I'm always in headsets. But I do use MSI Dragon Center to tinker with things and I can control my fans there, given that my parts are mostly MSI. Sorry if that doesn't help, I try not to modify my PCs settings too much cause I'm scared to burn it or anything. I'm already happy with 144fps in Ultra, and my temps move around 60-70c. That's just okay temps right? (y)

EDIT: Sorry, like shity_md, I saw fan controls in MSI Afterburner. Dragon Center is where I control the lights and other tweaks. I just checked hahaha. Whoops!

#878 warmgreentea, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    bowman60 likes this.
  19. max_Moon

[​IMG]

This is the fan curve I'm using for my current card. Since it's a bit noisier than my previous card, I lowered the fan speeds a bit but generally for all my graphics cards, the curve that I start with is:

below 45C, the fan should stop with a 3-5C fan hysteresis (passive cooling)
    50C @ 40%
    60C @ 50%
    70C @ 60%
    80C @ 70%
    90C @ 100%

I would adjust these higher or lower on a graphics card to graphics card basis.

I have noticed that with the RTX 30-series, the fan stop in software automatic fan control mode does not work unless you tick the "override zero fan speed with hardware curve" box at the bottom. I have mine unticked at the moment because my new GPU's idle and hw accelerated video playback temps are all over the place so rather than applying a wider hysteresis, I just let the fan spin at the Palit 3080 Ti's minimum 30% which allows the GPU to idle at around a constant 35C and only go up to about 40C during video playback. Most AIB manufacturer's vbios firmware has the stock fan stop set at 50-60C which causes idle or low load temperature fluctuations and spikes that I think, may cause more wear and tear on the card in the long term.

#879 max_Moon, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  20. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

I read that the current afterburner version supports bios firmware of the newer cards. Tick the “use firmware control mode” and see if it’s to your liking. It will still follow your custom curve but will also support the fan stop function if your card firmware supports it. I have been getting better temps and noise levels with it ticked. My curve is very similar to yours with around a +-5 difference. This is actually for a new gigabyte 3080 that I’m using. I don’t know if the 3070 is generally a cooler running card but my evga ftw3 3070 ran very cool with a very quite fan curve which topped out at 65% fan speed with my custom fan curve. On average, it ran around 5-6 degrees cooler than the 3080 gigabyte - no biggie really but it was also quieter.

max_Moon likes this.