The PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ronnel0918, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

It's really been COD MW and BO the past few months for me. Been playing so much multiplayer that I didn't even finish the BO campaign :LOL: Aside from that it's just been Cyberpunk and the occasional Master Chief Collection, The Division 2 and Destiny 2. True, so much games (and ssd storage space available) but so little time.

What's the length of your desk? That's my next target upgrade. Space constraints so I'm dreaming up options. I want to go at least go 200cm but 150cm is my absolute max.:cry:

2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

It is AVMake's Hamilton Mahogany Desk. The dimensions are 60x152x76cm. / 23.6x60xx30 in., which is their longest option. I initially bought one for my iMac setup, and I liked it so much that I got another one for my PC as well. It is very well made and I like the fact it is locally made; very solid and sturdy for a generous price. I'm not sure if you can have the tabletop in white finish (they have an option to have white legs and they do have different wood stain finishes though), but they make a lot of other furniture so maybe you can make a special request. You can email their sales rep [email protected] and tell them Bim referred you for the special requests.

#702 warmgreentea, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    bowman60 and Quest4dgoodlife like this.
  3. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Fantastic! Thank you for this! Lots of customization options from their website. Will definitely help in my WFH setup.

warmgreentea likes this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm... I am a dumbass. My 2017 system asrock z270, 8th gen core i5 and an nvidia 1080, watercooled etc. State of the art back when. So, one day last month, my gaming rig started started acting up. So, I utilized Windows 10 reinstall (basically restoring to default Windows 10). Reinstalled the drivers as well. No improvement. So, I opted for the nuclear option and go for a fresh reinstall using the media creation tool. Problem was I needed to reorder the boot drive option with the bootable USB drive as the first option upon bootup. Major problem was I FORGOT the UEFI password. I tried restoring to default bios using clear cmos and removing the CMOS battery. Still did not work because the password is stored in the chip itself. No recovery option. I locked myself out. Dumbass mistake.

Defeated, I had no choice but to purchase another motherboard. With that, I also purchased a 10th gen Intel cpu and an nvidia 3070 gpu. Total damage: php 65,000.00. All because I was dumbass enough to forget a damn password. I ve been a PC gamer since the 1980s. First time this old fogey made such a rookie mistake.

About the 3070. If you are planning to go 4K gaming and max out settings to ultra and enjoy all the latest nvidia gpu goodies, DON’T. It does not have enough power. Go 3080 or 3090 for buttery smooth gameplay.

#704 raypin, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Sunil_K, Hero33 and Quest4dgoodlife like this.
  5. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Have the same motherboard but core i7, just a 1060. still chugging along as I do light gaming. currently playing gear tactics and command and conquer remastered. that sucks that you got locked out but a blessing in disguise as you have a brand new mobo, proc and gpu. haha. I'll probably upgrade next year my rig. Thank's for the tip but hopefully next year's gpu 4070 or amd's version can handle 4k and ultra. don't want to spend for the top of the line card as I only do light gaming.

raypin likes this.
  6. raypin

mmm...I was really saving up for a 3090 once supply problems settle down and prices go down. I guess that will never happen. Lol! Anyways, it is half-new system since I reused my 2 SSDs and 1 nVME flash storage, my robust corsair power supply and my reliable 16 Gig ram. The cpu is core i5 10600K Comet lake S (unlocked for overclocking), set clock to 4.5 Ghz. (4.1 base and 4.8 Ghz boosted although I ve seen examples of overclocking up to 5.2 Ghz stable), more than good enough to take care of anything.

Playing Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War.

#706 raypin, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  7. warmgreentea

Is crucial a good memory/ssd brand?

A friend is asking me for opinion for a 1tb m.2 stick, more on the budget side and doesn't need to be gen 4. R/2400 x W/1800 is good enough I guess. Budget is 5k pesos and this is the only one that I can find:

[​IMG]

I was initially looking at Samsung 970 but wow the price is twice here in pinas! oh and this is for her gaming laptop by the way.

EDIT: Done some thorough research just now at it seems that they're one of the top 3 reputable brands for memories and such. Called softboxsolutions and they said that it is 5,300 on pickup. Just a heads up to those who live near ABS-CBN area, they're within walking distance from there.

#707 warmgreentea, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Shinahashirome likes this.
  8. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

@war
    That's fine for storage. Problem lang is pag nag constant transfer ka, NVME to NVME, 1TB to 1TB of content, it slows down towards the end of the copy process. But that only happens once in a while for me when I upgrade/change storage.

I'm currently waiting for my 1TB Aorus to arrive from Amazon. So will be rocking a WD SN850 for system. And will use the 1TB Aorus fro my game drive. Will still keep my fave games in my system drive though. It's also good to stick with 1TB as I noticed there is significant benefits in RW and in drive life.

9. jayar04

jayar04 Member

napakaganda.. pero napakamahal naman, Bim haha

thinking of trying deskbros - another local startup. You cant customize,grommets and stuff though..

10. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

F014804A-1929-49E5-83EB-F1D59A09AD67.jpeg

Yey! Amazon loot arrived earlier than scheduled.

11. warmgreentea

It's almost priced the same kaya. Well, theirs has lots of freebies.. But AV's has a thicker wood. :LOL:

Last day of lunar year Steam sale today. Bought around 8 games this time. Witcher 3 for 300 pesos for the game and all DLCs was the most worth it of them all.

12. jayar04

jayar04 Member

True true... I actually realized that price is relative lol -> canvassing some stuff for a full rig and it hit me 'gawddd ang mahal ng PCs ngayon! parang 16"mbp narin'

Prices I've canvassed so far:
    Ryzen 9 5900x - 40k
    ASUS TUF x570 plus wifi - 10k
    Sapphire RX 6800 XT - 47-50k
    1TB SG Barracuda hdd - 2,250
    Sammy EVO 500gb - 4,550 (di ko sure what model to - forgot to verify)
    Kingstone Hyperx fury 2x8 16gb DDR4 RGB 3.2Mhz - 4,900 -> not sure if this is good.. my brother wants me to get a TF instead

Sigh. I don't have a 4k monitor now but I'm just guessing to get some high/mid tier stuff just to future proof. I think i'm going insane haha.

Parang overkill na lahat due to high reseller prices.. so maybe i should go ryzen 5 or 7.. or intel since layo ng price.. as for GPU, di ko na talaga alam.. gulung gulo nako sa dami ng choices now

#712 jayar04, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    raypin likes this.
  13. raypin

Mmm...that Ryzen 9 cpu is pure overkill for gaming (this is the pc gaming thread). Downgrade a little bit and and spring for a water cooling solution.

4K monitor is worth the investment.

jcsantamarina and jayar04 like this.
  14. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

I just got a Ventus 3x 3090 OC at PH srp this afternoon, adding to my 2x 3080s, 2x 3060 Tis and 5700xt. Wasn’t expecting to go into mining, but it’s also a game in itself

[​IMG]
    they also showed me some 3060 non tis that were not allowed to be sold yet

15. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

I agree with @raypin , BUT if you really want a Ryzen 9 5900X, go ahead. Just make sure you give that beast the proper RAM.. Go for 2x16GB 3800Mhz or 4000Mhz DDR4. It has been tested that dual channel, dual rank can give the best pairing for Ryzen CPUs.

For the NVME storage, go for at least 1TB, if you can PCIE Gen 4. Better lifespan and faster R/W speeds vs 500-512GB variants.

You didn't mention the power supply that you were planning to get, but make sure you also go for a Gold or if you can Platinum rated one. The "cleaner" the voltage output the better for a heavy-hitting system.

HTH!

jayar04 and Sunil_K like this.
  16. jayar04

jayar04 Member

passed by Gilmore kanina just to get a quote.. so opted for something cheaper...

they dont have stocks of midtiers much and GPUs are overpriced. I plan to either get ryzen 7 5800x and either the rx6800 or 3070 - pc palang, aabot na agad ng 100k haha.. so I'm gonna try building piece per piece from folks online until such time I can build it na siguro

17. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

The GPU market right now is a total sh*t show anywhere and everywhere. Prices here are better than in the US if compared to scalpers/resellers. Getting one at SRP in the US now is practically impossible. At the current prices locally, the AMD cards offer more value at least in what I saw in Lazada - around 48k for a Red Devil 6800 and around 59k for a 6800 XT. But for me, nvidia cards are more valuable now for gaming because of DLSS 2.0. They say AMD's answer to DLSS is due out next month. Let's see if they can match nvidia's more mature DLSS. Honestly, I hope they do as it will offer more (whatever "more" means nowadays) for us poor gamers:cry::LOL::LOL:

Provboy, Sunil_K and jayar04 like this.
  18. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

Nvidia will be releasing mining-specific cards soon. They will also be throttling the 3060 if used for mining. Hopefully this will make it easier for gamers to get GPUs.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/cmp/

Sunil_K, jologs and raypin like this.
  19. jologs

jologs Active Member

They should have done this a long time ago but this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully Intel and AMD will follow suit with their own cards. It's a win-win for miners and gamers.

Provboy likes this.
  20. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Need your thoughts on these: x570 Rog strix f gaming or b550 vision d? Priced almost the same.
    Pluses for ASUS - it’s an x570, ASUS boards are compatible with corsair’s icue (only mb brand compatible). Cons: no Wi-Fi, standard black ( I have a mostly white build) and I don’t like the placement of the bottom x1 slot which I would have to use with my Wi-Fi card since it has no built in Wi-Fi.
    vision d - pluses - built in Wi-Fi, and it’s a total looker haha! Cons - mainly it being a b550 (if that even matters in actual everyday use?)
    I’m gonna be using an old 3700x - will eventually upgrade to a 3rd gen ryzen.