The PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ronnel0918, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Shhh they don’t know what part uses what but it helps my zoom video clarity when I conduct stockholders and board meetings and I’ll side use it to mine Bitcoin daw lol

hard part is looking for 3080 stock and i9s

Sunil_K likes this.
  2. Hero33

when you get the time can you post blow by blow photos of the build?
    Tech geeking out vicariously till I get my own lol

3. Hero33

For the tech geeks

4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry, I wasn't really able to document the process of my build, but currently in its WIP state, here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still figuring out a color combination that I like with my lights. Haven't downloaded the Glorious keyboard/mouse software so their effects are still stock. Still figuring out how to control that RGB strip on the 3080. Nonetheless, quite happy with how it turned out. :)

jcsantamarina, Leon21 and Hero33 like this.
  5. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Nice!!(y) Since it’s mostly a Corsair build you may want to buy wallpaper engine from steam. Aside from having a ton of “live” wallpapers for download, it has icue integration so if turned on, the light changes according to the colors of the wallpaper. What I like is that most light configs are subtle. It would save you a lot of time figuring out configs and it’s really easy to change your theme anytime you want. ;)

what utlrawide is that? You didn’t go with the TUF 27 inch?

6. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Oh wait...is that wallpaper engine already? I noticed your wallpaper and I just saw that same one last night when I searched “Japan” in wp engine :LOL:

7. Hero33

Sweet I think I had my office order the same case lol

8. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Cool! Which displays did you end up getting?

9. warmgreentea

Oh! Glad that you reminded me of that. I was actually looking at that beforehand and forgot about it. Already purchased it, quite cheap for $3.

It's actually just a the 34" xiaomi gaming monitor, but I'm actually very happy with it so far and the colors really pop. I've read a lot of reviews on it and they preferred it over the other budget UWA that gigabyte offers, but not sure about the new cooler master one. I got it for 17k so it quite a bargain. The vertical screen is just a Samsung SF350 1080p 75hz screen, which was the monitor I used with my old setup. Just using that for web browsing and chat clients. :)

jcsantamarina likes this.
  10. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Again, nice!! I heard a lot of good things about that Xiaomi monitor. Even their 27 inch 2k 144hz monitor is getting good reviews. Great time to be Pc building with all the options at every price point available now (EXCEPT for gpu’s:LOL:).

11. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

After replacing a few parts -- and adding some new ones -- of my build over the past few weeks, I think there's nothing else to do until I get that new desk and revise the whole battlestation. I'm still eyeing a stronger GPU (in 20 years when scalpers die off) and maybe a secondary monitor, but I guess that can wait... (ha! lies!)

What a black hole this reignited hobby has been, but it sure is fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gotta get more combs....

[​IMG]

Original build album

12. warmgreentea

From the materials I've read online, they use panels from Samsung so that gave me the confidence to actually purchase it. I played Witcher 3 on it yesterday night to test it and the wide angle immersion is something else. GPU prices have been really terrible with the increases and tariffs all throughout, even our local suppliers spiked prices by 5k+. Glad I was able to supply my friends and myself with GPUs through my purchasing skills while they were priced right.

I guess my only gripe right now is that I can't seem to sync the timing of my G.Skill ram lights to the Corsair iCue light effects, which bothers me. Maybe I should have gone Corsair rams instead, but I've always used G.Skill ones since before. Oh well. :coffee:

13. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

I don't get why local resellers are increasing prices even more and blaming tariffs. The tariffs are applicable to the US for GPUs & motherboards that are imported from China since they were exempt in the USA. Now local sellers are using the same excuse to raise prices? Sounds to me like all of them are simply grey-market sellers at this point. Not once have I encountered any store actually sell at the suggested MSRP as seen here (https://www.yugatech.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-priced-in-the-philippines/) before any of the price increases even hit the USA at the start of this year.

They're simply ripping everyone off at this point, knowing that some people simply don't care about our hyper-inflated prices and some are simply desperate enough to have one of these cards and are willing to pay whatever price in order to complete their builds.

Sunil_K, warmgreentea and jologs like this.
  14. Hero33

What’s your wide screen model?

15. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

LMAO.. It's more kangkungan in the Philippines that's why!

Anyway, have any of you tried the new NVME PCIE Gen 4 Drives? Just got a WD Black SN850 and will try it out for the next couple of days. It's about 2.5x faster than my previous Gen3x4 one when I did the Black Magic Speed Test. Thinking of adding another one for storage. Right now my system is on it and a couple of games. Where should I put the games though? With the system or with the not as fast storage?

16. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

I'm waiting for the 1-2TB Samsung 980 Pro/Sabrent Rocket/WD Black SN850 to go on a big sale on Amazon before I buy Gen 4 NVME drives to replace my current game install SSD (Samsung 860 Evo). Since the PS5/XSX are touting their SSDs, it's only a matter time before most PC games will take advantage of gen 4 speeds as well.

17. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

I’m also waiting for a big sale to get a gen 4 (though my mobo doesn’t support it yet). I’ll use mainly as a system drive. For my games I use a 1tb intel 660p nvme and a 2tb teamgroup sata ssd I got for cheap. It loads cyberpunk pretty fast so no complaints here.

18. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Side-stepping the hardware discussion for a bit:

What online games do y'all play? My friends and I usually play CSGO and Apex, but I'm slowly getting into Valorant more but my friends aren't so into it (yet). That game is hard to win with randoms and some basic teamwork, not to mention A LOT of randoms are toxic AF, so it would be nice to grow my friends list outside of my IRL friends. Maybe we could all trade discord names or something!

#698 Leon21, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  19. warmgreentea

This is what I use: link

I use a 500gb WD SN850 as my boot drive and important apps and 1tb WD SN750 for everything else and game installs. With honesty, I barely notice any differences coming from the Samsung 860 evo that I used in my old computer, I mean they all boot less than 10 secs and opens apps as fast as I press them. Maybe with big file transfers, I'd see the speed difference, but so far it's hasn't been game-changing for me.

I used to play Apex as well, but that got sidestepped because of Valorant with friends. Valorant just reminds me of CSGO days than Overwatch (which is still the main game I play on PC), but yeah the toxicity in that game is so rampant mainly because of its free-to-play nature. We used to play Phasmophobia but without new content, we fell out of it after a couple of months.

Star Wars Battle Front II was free via the Epic Games launcher a few weeks ago. I played that for a few hours, but I'm not a Star Wars fan so I felt out of place with all the pew pew pew and the pew pew pew, hahaha.

I'm just waiting for the next steam sale and I'll buy the ff games: Command and Conquer Remastered Collection (childhood fave!!), Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Outer Worlds, Tell Me Why, Life is Strange 2, Total War Three Kingdoms, and Disco Elysium.

There was an announcement of the Mass Effect remastered collection just a few days ago, and I'm looking forward to that since I only played Mass Effect 1 on Xbox 360.

Ugh. so many games so little time. :ROFLMAO:

#699 warmgreentea, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Sunil_K, Hero33 and Quest4dgoodlife like this.
  20. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

As our office will most likely transition to a hybrid work setup, I'm thinking of building my WFH setup. We're issued laptops by the office but my personal "gaming pc" has been neglected (gtx1060, i7 7th gen I think, have to look up the specs) so this is my perfect chance to make my own battle station and upgrade some components in the future.

Initially was bent on getting a Samsung G7 but I'm not into FPS, so I'll be going ultrawide with the Xiaomi. Money saved can go to buying the monitor arm and for the desk. Nice desk there btw @warmgreentea, what desk and is there a white version of it?

I recently bought in the last steam sale - Command and Conquer Remastered Collection and Gear Tactics. Just played 1 hour of gear Tactics, will hopefully play command and conquer next weekend. so many games, so little time, so much work.

Hopefully, I get to post my build here in the future. First things first is clearing a space in the condo for my WFH setup - by selling my recliner (which I'll post soon in the marketplace here).