The PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ronnel0918, Sep 19, 2014.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Ok, I now have a final dilemma. Given the two choices of monitors, which one will you pick:

1. 21:9 ultrawide, 1440p, 144hz, VA panel
    2. 16:9 standard, 1440p, 165hz, IPS panel

I've always wanted to try the immersion of ultrawide monitors, but I prefer IPS panels. Just learned that all curved ultrawide panels are VA panels, but honestly, I don't have experience with VA panels, only some research about them.

I'll be using a 24inch 1920 x 1080 75hz monitor as a second screen (vertically) so that's another thing to factor in. Hmm.

2. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

First the easy stuff, for a second screen in vertical orientation, a 60Hz is more than enough. Since you'll be focusing mainly on your primary screen in game, that's where you'll need all the fast refresh and fps. The second screen is mainly there for reading stuff, or monitoring stuff, which basically 60hz is ok.

Now, for the main screen!

I've tried TN, VA, and IPS and IPS > VA > TN for me. For gaming, I'm using a 27 inch IPS Viewsonic Elite 165Hz monitor now and it is beautiful. I have it beside my 4k HP27f now and even if it's just 1440p, it looks way better than this 4k 27 inch based on my Fallen Order testing yesterday.

If you really want to go UW, LG has their Nano IPS that's curved, but they're still quite pricey. If you come from TN to VA.. you'll appreciate the "upgrade". But if you go from IPS to VA, you'll definitely notice the difference and you may want to go back to IPS again.

Hero33 and bowman60 like this.
  3. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Yes on everything here. I currently use a VA 144hz and its not bad mainly because I came from a TN. Last June a got a cheap 24 inch 75hz IPS monitor for my son, both for his online classes and gaming na din. I find the IPS superior to my VA even if its a cheap off-brand monitor. Whether you go 16:9 or UW, go IPS if money's not an issue because yes those nano IPS panels are still expensive. I'll upgrade to a decent 27 inch IPS next year, 16:9 lang my aging eyes cannot take the UWs anymore.

And a note on the 4000x...it gives great thermals! At least compared to my 280x crystal. GPU never reaches 70 Celsius even when ambient is at around 30 when playing CP 2077. GPU fan curve is set to quiet, intake is custom but basically in quiet also, same with the exhaust (top mounted AIO rad), and I haven't even installed a rear exhaust yet as I'm still waiting for it.

4. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Any recommendations for a gaming monitor - 30k budget?

I'll be placing it on my WFH desk which is in a very bright area. the monitor will be used "mainly" for work but will use it for games when i need a break. Not into First Person shooter games. i usually play RTS or city builder games.

i have not had a monitor for 10 years already. I currently use my tv in the bedroom - 55" Sony X900e for my desktop gaming the past three years.

Was initially eyeing the 32 Samsung G7 Odyssey monitor but wary on curved screens (this one is 37k, i just won't let the wife know how much it is. hehe). never had a curved screen monitor or tv.

5. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Hmmm.. if you'll be gaming on a desk, I feel like the 32" is gonna be too huge. But, I'm mostly into FPS games and I want to limit my next movement as much as possible when looking at the entire screen. I think Samsung has a 4k 27 inch that might fit your budget. Of course there's ASUS but they have too much of a branding "tax" on their products. The Viewsonic Elite I got is 1440p, IPS, 165Hz and it has a Gsync module. It was a little over 30k.

Quest4dgoodlife likes this.
  6. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Where’s a good local respectable place to source a 3090 and a ROG motherboard good for i9s and maybe some m.2?

7. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

The Xiaomi 34 inch is the best value IMO—esp if you'll be mainly be using it for work.

If you want a 4K 27 inch one I'm very happy with my Asus VG289 (bought it from the official store in Lazada for 28k). Although you'll need to stomach paying almost 2x the SRP (it's around $350 on Amazon). But it's 4k and has HDR support. Only caveat is it's 60HZ.

Dell monitors are great too. I've had the Ultrasharp for a couple of years already. But again these are 60HZ monitors.

If you know someone from SG, the PRISM monitors are great value. I have their 27-inch 1440p 144hz with GSync which only cost me 14-16k IIRC.

8. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Thank you guys! Very helpful!

My sister lives in Singapore. Might take a look at it.

Also, "mainly using it for Work" is just me justifying to myself I need a monitor to use for emails and worksheets.

Was looking at Asus as well and note the branding tax as well.

So I'll narrow it down to:-

Splurge
    32 and 27 inch Samsung g7 odyssey monitors
    27 Viewsonic elite

Budget
    Prism(?)
    Xiaomi

#608 Quest4dgoodlife, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  9. snipes

snipes Active Member

10. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

Finally got a Galax 3080 (the one with 4 fans ). Nice upgrade coming from a 5700xt that’s been relegated to mining duty.

[​IMG]

11. warmgreentea

Thanks for the reply friends!

The 1920 x 1080 that I'll be using is a current 24inch monitor screen that I'm using right now, so that'll be regulated to a second monitor once I get to be building it soon. I really want to go UW because of immersive singleplayer games and due to the fact do video editing and VFX, so the screen estate would be of great help. I've actually decided that I'll try the Xiaomi 34inch UWA first then decide if it is indeed for me or not, as it should be an easy sell if I'm not happy with it. For the IPS monitor, I'm actually looking at the ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ. It's really the color profile that I'm worried about, if only we had shops like BestBuy and MicroCenter to actually see these in person.

I've been reading about it lately and it does look like Corsair made a really good case this time. From thermal performance, to the ease of building and cable management, and overall build quality, I'm quite happy with my decision even if I haven't built anything on it yet. Will post pics when I get the thing is complete and running. ;)

My usuals are either PCHub, PC Options, AyosComputer, and DynaquestPC. (y)

Hero33 likes this.
  12. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

For the budget alternatives, if you’re ok with a 2k monitor, the ASUS tuf VG27AQ as warmgreentea mentioned is a good alternative at 20k. The viewsonic VX2758 got really good reviews at only 18k. Both are 2k, IPS, 144hz monitors.

13. warmgreentea

Would like to add that the Asus VG27AQ is G-Sync compatible and it is 165hz. :D

Another option is the Gigabyte G27QC (27" 1440p 165hz IPS). I think the Samsung G5 is good as well but as of I know, it is $100 more expensive than its conterparts.

bowman60 likes this.
  14. isaak

isaak Active Member

Hi guys, looking for recommendations on a comfortable chair (not necessarily gaming chair) worth 5k. Appreciate any leads on brands and where to buy. Thanks!

15. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

If you can go higher, try the Ergo chairs. They have a showroom in Megamall.

isaak likes this.
  16. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

17. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Check out FURNITURA over on Facebook. Got my current chair from them a few months ago.

isaak likes this.
  18. warmgreentea

This isn't 5k but here's what I can recommend

[​IMG]

My girlfriend got this for herself (as she loved the feeling of my gaming chair, which is a DXRacer as well) and it is pretty wide and comfy. I like this better than what I have because this has fabric seats rather than faux leather ones. Prolonged sessions with my current gaming chair make my ass perspire, so lesson learned on my next purchase that I'm not going leather. :ROFLMAO:

We got this mid-year though, not sure if it is still for sale or in production. But if you want something more breathable, mesh chairs are the way. I use a Herman Miller Aeron at the office and that's the one first thing I'm going to take home/steal in case a fire breaks out there (LOL).

Sunil_K and isaak like this.
  19. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Can anyone recommend where to buy good cable extenders? I know CABLEMOD is popular in the US, but do we have alternatives locally/in Asia?

20. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

I would recommend custom ones na lang from Cold Iron PC on Facebook. Better than most non-brand ones. Worth it din naman to invest to protect your expensive GPUs from possible QC problems.

It's ok but not the best. Viewsonic Elite is 165Hz, IPS (same panel as the popular LG IPS QHD) and an actual G-Sync module (not just a G-Sync Compatible One).

Leon21 likes this.