The PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ronnel0918, Sep 19, 2014.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm,...Farmville. :ROFLMAO:

2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Phasmophobia :coffee:

3. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

COD beta is up for free till Wed 1am. 40Gb download to try out the multiplayer. Its ok. Try it out with friends.

raypin likes this.
  4. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

I noticed I needed to add some clearance between the bottom of the TU150 and my table to allow the GPU to breathe in more air.
    Thanks to @bacchus_3 and his 3D printing service I turned these:
    IMG_2419.jpg
    Into this:
    IMG_2422.jpg
    Will check if there will be any improvements in my temps tonight!

raypin, warmgreentea and bacchus_3 like this.
  5. warmgreentea

I need a last opinion. What's the real (performance) difference between AIO coolers and CPU fan coolers aside from aesthetics?

6. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

In my limited experience, your choice would depend on the processor TDP that you will be managing. For example, Air coolers can easily handle the current and the future gen Ryzen 5 series because they are averaging below 200 TDP with some decent to aggressive overclocks. AiO's would easily handle TDP's above 200 like the 10700 and 10900 or 9700 and 9900 series when they are aggressively overclocked while Air Cooler's would struggle already.

Oh and to add to this, it also boils down to your case and the options that you have with it. Some cases are more accommodating to AiO's while some are limited to Air Cooling. So check that as well.

warmgreentea and JohannChua like this.
  7. warmgreentea

Looks like I hit the checkbox of not necessarily needing any AIOs then since I'm aiming for a Ryzen 5600x and Corsair 4000D airflow case. Originally, I was looking at an NZXT H510 case, but one of my friends suggested that I look at the newly released Corsair case which looks like this:

[​IMG]

There's a non airflow version of that case, but might as well get the airflow one since it is the same price and, well, functions better right. It's either Corsair H115i RGB Platinum Liquid AIO CPU Cooler 280mm or an Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro4 for me, but AIO is looking to be an overkill then.

8. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

What's the air cooler clearance for that case? Why not the Noctua DH15?

- Although since the 5600X is only 65 TDP the H15 might be overkill :D

9. warmgreentea

Oh shoot, I forgot about Noctua. Their colors were granny cream/brown so I never looked at them again, but I realized they make black products now. Clearance of the case is at 170mm, while the DH15 is at 165mm. That's pushing the clearance to its limits.... :ROFLMAO:

10. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

It’s ok though. I made it work with relatively small TU150. Chromax version is really nice. Just waiting for my white Heatsink covers to “brighten” up the insides.

11. Xcalith

Xcalith Member

Have you ever considered just putting it on a vertical orientation? I saw this post before about someone just flipping the case vertically to reduce temperatures.

12. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

No I haven't seen that post. After getting that much clearance underneath the case, I was actually able to put in two 120mm fans "underneath" the case to blow cool air in. Seems to be working for me though. Temps haven't gone over 74C with today's gaming session.

13. warmgreentea

Thank you for the enlightenment. Looks like thee DH15 it is, and I've always wanted to try Noctua.

5 more days till RDNA2 announcement, can't wait for the last big event for gaming this year. (y)

14. warmgreentea

Radeon RDNA2 announcement right now. 6800XT looking good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's 6900XT vs 3090XT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If these results are true, 6900XT is the current king of GPUs at the moment.

Quoted by a friend:

"RX 6800XT giving same performance as Nvidia RTX 3080 for $50 less at less power usage. Radeon RX 6800 giving more performance than RTX 2080Ti/RTX 3070 with 16 GB RAM for future proofing at just $80 more. RX 6900 breaks the 3090 for just $999. We got a great competition this time around!"

#474 warmgreentea, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:16 AM
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020 at 12:44 AM
  15. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

^

At this point, I'm just trying to grab the first card that's gonna be available to me that's near SRP, whether that be a 3070, 3080 or 6800XT. I've begun buying the parts for my new PC but the GPU is proving to be the trickiest to acquire.

16. Xcalith

Xcalith Member

Same problem here. I started buying parts in Shopee/Lazada next week and are slowly arriving part by part but I haven't decided what to do for the GPU. Right now it's either to get a cheap/secondhand last gen GPU like the 5700XT or 2070 Super then upgrade sometime next year or take my chances with local retailers on which one gets stock.

17. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Question for all the builders here:

There's quite a premium for us here in PH when it comes to GPUs. It's usually USA MSRP + $200 to $300. The ASUS 3080 TUF on Lazada (from ASUS PH and other official resellers) is Php 41,000 which is ~ $200 more than MSRP. In the absence of all these AIB cards releasing actual PH MSRP, -- I only know of ASUS releasing such figures -- how much is "patong" is acceptable? I've already begun to see scalpers selling 3070s for 41,000 which is plain absurd, but even local retailers are using the "low supply" excuse to price these cards just like scalpers are. PCHub, for example, has 3080s priced at $1200++!

18. warmgreentea

I'm on the same boat. If I'd see a reasonably priced 3070/3080/6800/6800XT out there with at least just >10% patong than suggested price, I'd jump the gun on it. I'm just sure that I'm going AMD Zen 3 series for processor this time rather than Intel because of how they build motherboards that can accept processors for at least three more generations. CPUs are the lesser upgraded things than GPUs, so the true hunt here will be these elusive cards.

If I live in States, I'd camp out for one for sure. :cautious:

19. warmgreentea

HOOOOOOO

I got myself an MSI 3070 from Newegg!!

I got this model because this was the one that responded to my clicks:

[​IMG]

Got it sent to my sister's home in Florida (and using her card), which she says she's coming home this year for christmas. My goodness when I came back to the 3070 page it was all wiped out.

[​IMG]

I'll be trying to get my hands on a RX6800/RX6800XT next month, and if that plan doesn't pan out, at least I have a good GPU by the end of the year. What's next is for me to secure a 5600X and finally I can build my PC afterwards. :cry:

#479 warmgreentea, Oct 29, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020 at 9:27 PM
    shifty_md likes this.
  20. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Lucky! I was able to add a 3070 FE on Best Buy only for it to crap out on me when trying to check out before it just magically disappeared from my cart and all the cards were out of stock. Newegg went from IN STOCK and the moment I clicked it was OUT OF STOCK. These GPU launches are a complete joke.