The PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ronnel0918, Sep 19, 2014.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm surprised that camera equipment is also scarce these days. Is it because of small in-house businesses that need photo equipment? Since we really can't travel, I assumed that bodies and lenses are slow moving these days. What I've read somewhere though, is that lighting equipment is in demand because of conference calls and those who are into rising social media apps like TikTok and whatnot.

These are times where I envy USA for having Amazon, Newegg, B&H, and BestBuy for their tech needs. Oh well. :coffee:

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^^^
    I bought microphones for me and my kids to get some better voice online, and with RTX voice app it's perfect.

Any suggestions for webcam that doesn't give you the fish eye lens look and with privacy cover? I need four, and the ones I was looking at are expensive.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...gtx 1080 is what I have and a 144 hz monitor at 1440p. Still chugging alone just fine with the games I am playing. True 4K gpu heavy lifters like the Titan rtx is way out of reach (atrociously expensive pricing). Maybe in a year or two or three.

Theus likes this.
  4. warmgreentea

What is the model of your current monitor? This is something I haven't given much thought to.

I'm looking at either 5700XT or the RTX 2070. I'm leaning towards the 2070, but I kind of want to try a full AMD build since I've always been an Intel x Nvidia user. With the new AMD's upcoming Navi lines for GPU and 4 series for CPUs, let's see what cyber monday discounts has for the current generation.

To be honest, the reason that I play PC are times when me and my friends go on a game night for fun, and the games that I currently play on PC are Overwatch (maybe 500 hours spent here), Starcraft 2, Monster Hunter World, and Disco Elysium. Those GPUs are an overkill for those, but it is better to be overpowered than underpowered.

Then in the next 5-10 years, we'd be having a 49inch curved monitor with 8k resolution at 240hz and GPUs with 30gb VRAM. :ROFLMAO:

5. raypin

Mm....Asus ROG Swift 144 hz 1440p with G Sync 27 inches.

Before, dual 27 inch monitor and a 34” Dell for a triple monitor setup. Nakakaduling and not really important or useful to me so I simplified and I’m back to the ideal size for me which is 27” single monitor. I m a very slow shooter and my reflex has slowed down quite a bit and is inversely proportional to my frustration level (old age). Lol!

Sunil_K and warmgreentea like this.
  6. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Then in 15 years we'd be all working from home using high-res, high-response VR headsets. Spreadsheets in VR will never be the same... Well, we can dream, can't we? Hahaha

I'm on an all-AMD build, also using a 5700XT. I gotta tell ya, AMD has had growing pains with Radeon drivers, and it's only recently that they're finally releasing good ones. Aside from that, it's smooth sailing. I feel like I have to upgrade my GPU though; I couldn't maximize my high-refresh-rate monitor with it.

What my current setup looks like:

20200706_224646.jpg

#346 JMacalinao, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    lsalapare, bowman60, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  7. warmgreentea

That monitor is a BEAST! Probably the king among standard gaming monitors. I'm not sure what you do, but having that much setup is only really useful when you're in media or a content creators.. to some extent a programmer and stock investor as well. I'm actually thinking if I need a 34" if I plan to use Premiere/After Effects in Windows, which I currently use on my iMac.

Awesome mancave we got there! I can see you're big on RGB lighting and Razer hahaha! That's what I always hear about AMD's GPU in the past, so I'm glad they've been able to iron things out. 5700X is currently their consumer top of the line card right? Enlighten me, how can you not maximize your monitors with it. This is a jump for me so all opinions are factored in. :D

raypin likes this.
  8. warmgreentea

Sorry bro, I have no experience with webcams and sorts. I just use our lowres webcams on our macs and I'm pretty ok with it. Those logitech 1080p cams are popular nowdays though. :coffee:

9. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

More RGB = more FPS amirite? lol

Yup, 5700XT is their current TOTL card. Won't be for long though since there are rumors of "Big Navi" coming later this year (most likely next year for us in PH).

As for how I can't get the full potential of my monitors with it... Well, I just bought my main monitor, the ultrawide, 1440p at 100Hz, and there have been quite a few games where it can't stay around the 100fps range. It gets worse when I'm streaming - either I get lower frames in games or I get skipped frames in OBS... Don't get me wrong, those games don't go below ~60fps, and FreeSync also helps, but honestly, you really can't go back to 60Hz once you experience beyond it. :D

10. warmgreentea

My goodness. And here I am, looking for a config with just little pure white led colored fans or no colors at all hahaha. Fun to look at though! I just have this minimalism motif I need to follow (heck, I'm going to get the H510 elite case for my build).

Is that the ROG swift monitor you have? You are all high ballers when it comes to monitors it seems. It's good to hear that the 5700XT can hold water against those games, but what settings are you using for these games? High and Ultra? And yeah, I'm still stuck at 70hz gaming on my setup and whenever I play at my friend's house with his setup, the buttery difference is so obvious that it massages my eyes rather than strains it. He's the same friend who convinced me to upgrade actually.

He also told me to wait and see how Xiaomi's monitor is going to be priced, which is this one:

[​IMG]

I was already set on getting the Asus MG27QA, but he says that this will be priced at around 18-22k pesos (not bad!), and I like how clean the aesthetics are. I just want Overwatch to run at 144hz and I'm going to be really happy with that. :ROFLMAO:

11. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

can’t go wrong with ASUS ROG displays. 20 months since, no issues with our PG348Q.

0653015D-4BD5-4B90-8E8E-1E47751EAAC5.jpeg

best part, it came with 3 years warranty (y)

Sunil_K, raypin and warmgreentea like this.
  12. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Only caveat: they’re too damn heavy to lift and lug around. ;)

13. warmgreentea

ASUS ROG monitors are hands down the best out there, but man I just can't get over those gaudy monitor stands. The screen is the most important part of it, of course, but when I'm going to look at something everyday at home, gotta be something that I like as a whole. :censored:

14. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Its almost here! Death Stranding PC. This July 14th. Yeah!

raypin likes this.
  15. isaak

isaak Active Member

Just want to update you guys, finally got my son his first rig. These were the parts I got:
    • CPU-AMD RYZEN 5 3500 (3.6GHZ) UNLOCKED
    • MB-MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
    • RAM-TFORCE DELTA TUF 16GB 3200MHZ RGB BLK (2X8GB)
    • SSD-KINGSTON 250GB SA2000 PCIE NVME M.2
    • HD-SEAGATE 1TB SATA (ST1000DM010)
    • PS-SILVERSTONE SST-ST70F-ES230 700W 80+
    • VC-ASUS GTX1650 PH O4G 4GB DDR5 128BIT
    • CASE-XIGMATEK ASTRO RED LED TG ATX
    • OS-WINDOWS 10 HOME 64BIT OEM
    • OS-MS OFFICE HOME AND STUDENT 2019 PC/MAC
    Bought these from PC Express Market Market where I'm closer and since prices are comparable with PC Gilmore (thanks @raypin for the link). I wanted to have me and son put them together, but decided to let the store do it as I may not be able to install the software at home)

Total cost of this is 50k but I got 3k discount because I paid in cash.

I haven't bough a monitor yet (son is currently using a 32" Sony TV). Upon research, I realized there's a lot of things to consider--resolution, refresh rate, response time, curved or not, size, brand, etc, etc. So any recommendation for a sub 10k monitor will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Theus and raypin like this.
  16. raypin

Mm..minimum: 27”, 1080p, 5 ms response time, 60 hz refresh rate.

Recommended: above 27”,1440p, 1 ms response time, 144 hz or above refresh rate. Brands: Asus ROG, Dell, LG, Viewsonic, BenQ.

Query dealer and manufacturer’s warranty and procedure to repair or replace. Important to ask about RMA.

Around php 1,000 per inch screen diagonal. Sub10K monitor price is possible but pre-owned.

Buy good quality surge protector to protect all your equipment. Dirty electricity kills often specially computers. When there is localized thunderstorm, always unplug from the outlet. A five second effort and insurance that cost your nothing.

#356 raypin, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Dekra, Sunil_K and isaak like this.
  17. warmgreentea

With that budget, I think this is enough for either a 24inch 1080p 144hz monitor, or a 27inch 1080p 60hz monitor. If it's a kid, I think 24inch is good for now. Just get either Samsung, Asus, MSI, Dell, Benq, LG and the other known brands just to be sure. A GTX 1650 won't be able to do 1440p 144hz comfortably anyways, so go 1080p for optimal experience. (y)

In relation to this thread

[​IMG]

How far we've come from specs to cover CS 1.5 and Diablo II and sorts. :D

catalysmic, wem272, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  18. raypin

Mm...next to a GPU, a nice monitor is a necessity. Get the 144 hz monitor for future proofing.....save you the future expense of upgrading the monitor.

Juice and isaak like this.
  19. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

20. warmgreentea

Quick question, what kind of arm are you using for your vertical monitor on the right? Also, how big are these monitors? Planning my big purchase quite soon. :)