The Nike+ Runners Club

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by elbert, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Fidel

Fidel Member

Re: The Nike + iPod Runners Club

Thanks for adding me Elbert. :)

Have fun DJ, going to try Ateneo this weekend. My village has been my running ground so far and it is getting a wee bit boring already.

2. Fidel

Fidel Member

Thanks for the suggestion Elbert, south Forbes does look promising. I'd suggest La Vista village too (my village) near Ateneo. The roads are pretty alright and there's enough room for cars and people; by this I mean you wouldn't feel cramped due to the cars. It also has a lot of trees. Just avoid the main roads and you'll be alright in terms of avoiding automobile exhaust and noise as well.

3. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Welcome fids to the challenge! It's going to be fun competing with all of you guys. I'm sure everyone's formulating a strategy already! Hahaha!

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

Don't forget the cardinal rule when running in the streets: run on the left side of the road, opposite the flow of traffic.

5. dominiquejames

Anyone know if the book "Running/Walking for Dummies" is available locally and at which bookstore/branch?

6. Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo Member

The wonderful weather is bringing freezing temperatures here in HK though. The northern part of the territory where i live is at 8C. Today is more pleasing, mahabol naman kita ng konti Elbert. :D

7. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

thanks for adding me in the challenge.

the weather has been really great this week!!!

8. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

Aw, I would love to join this one but I can't run until it gets a little warmer. Right now, we're still hitting -9 C not considering the wind chill factor (and man, do we have some pretty fierce "da feng" here in Dalian).

I'll get my kit and get my running legs back into a respectable level of fitness. More PhilMUG challenges in the future please!

9. jfshandler

jfshandler Guest

Am gearing up, just got my Nike+ Sport Kit from Miss Gale of PMC G3 yesterday. But after some punlic service and duties ( NOBILITY!BRAVERY!INTEGRITY!), I should be up and running again in UP Diliman Campus or CCP grounds. Hope to compare stats with you guys!!

10. elbert

elbert Active Member

You should join our challenge then, which started today. DJ has a strong lead, we can't let him get away with this. haha.

PM me the email addy you used to register with nikeplus.com so you can be included in the challenge.

11. tjgato

tjgato Active Member

just got the challenge thanks

12. dominiquejames

Strong lead? Haha! It's the first day, so, anything can happen. I'm just applying the lesson in "The Turtle & The Hare" fable. I am so out of shape that you guys can easily beat me! Hahahaha!

#92 dominiquejames, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  13. elbert

elbert Active Member

Yeah, but an 11k run? Man, I just go for 5k, and yesterday, I snuck in a 2k sprint just to create a best mile record for myself. You've just achieved 11% of our race to 100k. :)

14. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

Just wait guys, wait... : P

15. dominiquejames

Well, it takes me forever to do that. I jog very leisurely, enjoying the scenery, the music, and the cute boys. I take about an hour-and-a-half to two hours to reach that distance. It's the program that my brother (a health professional) has prepared for me which is designed for my level of fitness. His best advise: "Don't burn and don't wear yourself out." Anyway, we're competing for distance and not speed, are we? If we are competing for speed, I'd most definitely be the last.

A little OT, to those who also run the UP oval, here's a little trivia question for you: what makes lamp post number 120 different from all the other lamp posts? Hehe!

16. polar_bear

polar_bear Member

hahahaha. guys, i nearly popped a artery yesterday running with someone from Nike*. We spent some time on the track calibrating our Nike+ first**, and then went for a couple of 5Ks. The whole time we were talking - actually, he was talking, and i was just trying to keep up the pace, continue breathing, think about our conversation and replying. Man!

SO! no bets??? how about the winner buying dinner for the rest??? (am of course here hoping i'll win!!!) however, all involved must clock in at least a run.... hehehehe

* they are awesome folks
    **p/s post calibration, i am clocking 395m for actual 400m, and 4950m for 5km actual. VERY VERY DECENT accuracy... Do calibrate on an actual running track, not on a treadmill...

17. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

You're right about the calibration and using a running track to calibrate. The trick though is to really run/walk our normal pace. IMO we have the tendency to run faster than our normal pace when calibrating.

18. elbert

elbert Active Member

I like that idea, that the winner has to buy everyone dinner. If Dinkydoo wins, he'll have to spring for the airfare to HKG too. hahaha.

19. jfshandler

jfshandler Guest

Just calibrated my sensor & transmitter this morning. Did the required walk and run ( I set up .4 K only ) and went on to a 3 K work out. Man I am out of shape, barreling my way to a measly ( and shameful ) performance of 45 mins for a 3K!!!!<---Perhaps this is the result of years ( 4 to e exact ) of sedentary and passive as well as inactive 8-5 office work. Ages ago, I was running like a deer ( Loyalty!!! Integrity!!!Bravery!!! ) with morning road runs, battalion night runs ( se Ma, no flashlights!!!), monthly PFT run and so on.

Now the love for the pavement strikes back and this is the beginning of a trail of challenges and rewards!! Gangway!!!!

20. dominiquejames

Ouch! I'm sore all over! Hahaha!