The Nike+ Runners Club

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by elbert, Jan 18, 2007.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

Re: The Nike + iPod Runners Club

I thought I'd be starting from the bottom, but I'm now in position 2! Turns out it takes into account all my runs since the challenge started, even if I accepted the challenge only now. Cool! Now I wanna run more! hehehe.

2. elbert

elbert Active Member

I challenge my fellow PhilMUG Nike+iPod runners club members!

This challenge starts 01 February 2007. First to 100k wins a prize (we can discuss what that prize will be here in this thread).

Reply to this thread and post your Nike+ user name if you want in so I can invite you. What are you waiting for?

3. Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo Member

Talaga. i wonder why my previous run was not accounted for then. Daya. :p

Accepted your challenge by the way. have you invited more philmuggers to join?

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

Junior Tan is in. Challenged PeterOb too.

5. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

Joined the challenge too. I also tried out the create a challenge option in nike+.com. I'm not so sure how it works but I started the Manila Miles Challenge.
    The most miles from Feb 1 to Feb 15 (Manila Time). Open to Filipinos at home or abroad. Any takers? Let me know and I'll add you in.

Uy! Elbert started a challenge na pala. In that case count me in. I'm PeterOb in Nike+.

6. Fidel

Fidel Member

Count me in guys. fidelm is my screen name in Nike+. Gonna run tonight! :D

7. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Please add me to the challenge. My name is djames.

8. elbert

elbert Active Member

Can't seem to add you. Can you PM me the email address you used to register with Nike+? Thanks.

9. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

i'll join.

- bluesun23 (nike+ id)

10. dominiquejames

Thanks for adding me to the challenge, Elbert.

11. elbert

elbert Active Member

still can't add fids.

This is getting exciting though, and we haven't even started the run yet. I hope we can get more PhilMUG runners in.

12. dominiquejames

I ran this morning at Amoranto Stadium in Roces. It opens at 5 AM but you can persuade the guard to let you in as early as 4.30 AM. There's a P5.00 entrance per person (they issue an entrance ticket on the main gate. There are safe parallel slots for parking inside the area. The inner lane of the stadium is ideal for long and extended jogs/walks/runs because of the rubberized surface. The outer lane is paved with concrete surface. People starts coming in at about 5.30 AM. All sorts of people go there to workout-from kids to senior citizens. The venue also has a biking lane, and various sports activies are being held such as basketball, dance aerobics for senior citizens, tennis, and the like.

Pros: Rubberized surface for a run/jog/walk (although showing signs of wear). Motivating environment and non-distracting. No gas fumes from vehicles. Friendly guards.

Cons: About only 400m circumference in the inner lane and the view can quickly become boring. In which case, the motivation of the iPod music helps.

--

My favorite area for a run, so far, is UP Diliman. I will be there tomorrow as early as 4 AM. The cuties in UP, I noticed, shows up at around 5.30 to 6.00 AM. Hahaha! I'm also going to try the QC Memorial Circle. My neighborhood, which I tried once, is definitely not an ideal area for a jog. I keep inhaling the fumes from school buses and early commuters.

Can you guys recommend other places in QC for a run?

#72 dominiquejames, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  13. tjgato

tjgato Active Member

count me in tjgato is my nike account if I am not mistaken

14. Fidel

Fidel Member

Sent you a PM elbert. :)

15. Fidel

Fidel Member

DJ, try Ateneo? :) It's a pretty clean campus, has sidewalks and good scenery.

16. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

Check out the new stats of the Asia Challenge. It no longer is a 3 to 6 mile run 2-3 times a week as posted by the original challenger. :p

17. Fidel

Fidel Member

Mmm, I'm having the same problem as elbert had with regards to logging in the discussion forums. I already looked at the help page and it simply says click "login/register". How did you guys do it?

18. dominiquejames

Thanks fids! I'll try it out.

19. elbert

elbert Active Member

tjgato, I can't add.

fids is in!

PM me the email address you used to register at Nike+, that seems to work better,

20. elbert

elbert Active Member

I would like to thank the U.S., China and all other contributors of green house gases for this wonderful weather we have. It's so cool and windy, making running more pleasant. I'm tempted to purchase those long sleeved Nike+ shirts tuloy, hahaha. Seriously though, the weather really helps.

The deep area of South Forbes is a really nice place to run--the roads have a slight grade so there's some up and downhill, there are lots of trees, the air's clean, it's quiet, there are hardly any cars and at 5 p.m., all the cute babies (take note: not babes, but babies) come out in their strollers.

The nearest track to my home is Rizal Memorial, but I've never gone. Hve any of you guys tried it? Can anyone run there? I presume there's a small entrance fee just like Amoranto. What time does it open or close?

One of the worst places to run is in Baywalk, no matter what time of the day. It stinks, there are too many people, the surface isn't ideal (lots of opportunities for spraining your ankle) and it just feels so unsafe (I fear I may get mugged and lose both my iPod and my shoes!).

BTW, are there any more voices in the iPod than Paula Radcliffe or Lance Armstrong? Wala bang Maria Sharapova? I haven't heard any other Nike endorser besides the two.