The new, thinner iMac (late 2012)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johannes, Oct 24, 2012.

1. airmax32

airmax32 Member

so are you saying that they would release a new imac with a wireless n adapter. the thing is apple is a forefront when it comes to new technology.What's the point of releasing the new airport extreme that has wireless ac capability if apple would still release a new imac with wireless n capability just my 2 cents.

2. tungaw012

tungaw012 New Member

Do they give discounts to BTO products only?

3. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

my new imac now has black spots on the right lower edge of the screen. anyone else who has this?

4. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

How long has it been since you started using your iMac that you noticed the spots?

Could you also post photos so that other members could compare or be on the look out for those as well?

TIA!

5. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

My wife said she noticed it about a month ago. I saw it clearly when i restarted my Imac but not when I'm using it as my wallpaper.

[​IMG]

6. airmax32

airmax32 Member

the next imac comes out at the end of this month based on what i read on the net.

7. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Since I expect to do some work while at home and needed a bigger screen (than my 11 incher MBA), I went ahead and got a 27 inch yesterday.. our first iMac. I was playing around with the idea of waiting til the newer ones are available but I couldn't wait that long (I didn't even want to wait for a customized order online from the Apple store). Very happy with the purchase, impressed with the sound and display quality. While my husband was watching me (with googly eyes) unbox and setup the iMac he asked.. "where's the brain (CPU) at?" LOL!!

8. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope the 2013 iMac does not get released this early. The 2011 model lasted 19 months before the 2012 model came out. :\ Right now 2012 is barely 9 months old per announcement but actual shipped units arrived around 6 months ago.

With the Mac Pro coming out next month it is possible that the iMac would be pushed back (hopefully) past November.

Remember other Macs are older than the 2012 iMac that needs the refresh more like the Mac mini (10+ months), reMBP (6+ months) and MBP (14+ months).

Again, I wish Apple reserved the redesign for Haswell rather than delayed Ivy bridge by 6 months. :\

But then again Fusion Drive is awesome!

9. mike97a

mike97a New Member

My Late 2012 27" iMac(thin) is starting to develop this also. Are you going to have yours fixed? Im concerned that its going to take forever to replace/fix.

10. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

It's fixed already. I took it to Digihub and informed them. They took picture and file for warranty claim. I took the unit back home same day. I got a call after 2 weeks that replacement display has arrived and had to bring my unit back.

I left it morning and got it back in the afternoon

11. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

That looks like the inside of the glass is dirty. Just bring it in to Senco Link and they should be able to sort it out for you.

12. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

@carlos - its a defect on the display panel. Since my imac was still under warranty, Digital Hub ordered the part and replaced it. :)

13. mike97a

mike97a New Member

Thats good news. I got mine from DigitalHub also, so I'll bring mine back. At least we don't have to give them back the whole unit, just the screen.

14. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy the 27inch iMac as my desktop, I've been a PC user and it always break down in 1-2years or else upgrading them is painful in the a#@. Is the new iMacs good enough for gaming?thanks

15. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

What games will you play?

16. chosenbydestiny

chosenbydestiny New Member

I know it's not supported by Apple, but I am in a somewhat unique situation. I want to buy the new iMac 2012 base model, I know it's not the newest but there are some good deals out there right now. I already have the upgrade components (16gb RAM, and solid state disk) that I want to put into there, but like I said, it is not something Apple wants us to do. In the USA there's a company called OWC that will do the process for you, is there a company like that here? I've seen the youtube video but after watching it I feel like I may screw up, lol. Perhaps there is reputable place around that does it often and for a living that can save me the time and agony.

17. Ezurn

Ezurn Member

Hehe, I think wala po,, :) The thinner imacs has a soldered RAM po ata, if my memory serves me right, it's not upgradable. For the SSD replacing the HDD, it's way too complicated din since the thinner imacs have the poorest score in repairability accdg. to iFixit. However you could try your luck, baka me meron din.

Why not just get a Fusion drive anyway? (Just curious)

18. chosenbydestiny

chosenbydestiny New Member

Thanks sir Ezurn for your reply. I heard about the soldered RAM but it seems OWC found a way (probably a very dangerous way) around it. I guess I have no choice but to go BTO, gotta pay to play, hehe. The fusion drive is a great idea for most people. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. :) I don't need a big internal drive as I have plenty of external storage, including a scratch disk that I use for editing video. Also, I expect the computer to last longer with a pure SSD as I hear fusion drives have the same fail rate as traditional drives. When the platter based portion of the drive dies, the SSD part dies with it. That's why I prefer pure SSD though I know fusion drives are the best value in terms of money to storage size ratio with similar speeds to pure SSD. :) Thanks again.