The new, thinner iMac (late 2012)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johannes, Oct 24, 2012.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Do it at home. Hassle to do an unboxing in the store. You have 7 days to return naman eh.

Buying a new Mac should be mana from heaven. But do not be naive to think everything that is slightly less reflective is 'gold'.

2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

LOL, i guess i'll pass on that one.....i'm too chicken to do it :p

3. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

4. ReddVFX

ReddVFX New Member

Hello Philmug! The last day of February was my day! ;) My BTO iMac is finally in my hands. Placed my order on Jan. 5, 2013 at BTB Galleria from Sir Charlie and I'm very happy with the purchase. :) I hope you get yours soon, it's a beast!

5. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

finally, got mine today.. it's a beauty. wala ako masabi sa ganda.. hahaha..

6. nouvomx

nouvomx Member

congratulations ReddVFX and ikitub , what did you guys get? 27 or 21 incher?

7. nouvomx

nouvomx Member

Anyone with a retina macbook here? Will the screen look fuzy when you switch to an late 2012 iMac screen?

8. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

Mine is a 27" BTO 16gb ram 3tb fusion drive 2gb vid card and the 3.4ghz i7.

9. ReddVFX

ReddVFX New Member

Thanks nouvomx! I have a 27" BTO 8gb ram 3tb fusion drive 2gb vid card and the 3.4ghz i7. I don't have access to a retina macbook pro, but I can compare it between an Apple Thunderbolt Display I use at work and all I can say is that I'm very impressed with the new iMac. The 2560x1440 resolution is enough for my visual effects and motion graphic works. It's really less reflective than the previous displays. I can't barely see my own reflection even if the brightness is all the way down.

10. tungaw012

tungaw012 New Member

where did you buy those iMac with i7 processor? and how much?

11. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

it's a BTO bro. try ordering from Sir Charlie.

12. jmtubera

jmtubera Member

Hometown: Cabanatuan City. Current: Sampaloc, Mani
    Before, the estimated shipping time on the apple ph site is 3 to 4 weeks now it's 7 to 10 business days na lang. So i hope my BTO iMac will arrive earlier than expected. Can't waaaaait :(

13. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

I'm so busy tinkering my iMac. Set it up as a new Mac so that its fresh. Migrated iOS apps already now time to build my iTunes library again. BTT is so useful. Just started using 1password for my Mac and iPhone. Loving it so far. Bought parallels 8 also for my sometimes Ms needs. Just using it for gaming. i have no choice but to buy parallels cause boot camp isn't supported yet for 3tb fusion drive..

14. Bluekaze

Bluekaze Member

im in Tokyo right now and just went to akihabara.

the imac here is only 108,800 yen (21" base model) thats around 50k only right ? is it OK to buy an imac here? apple has worldwide warranty right? any compatibility issues i should worry about ?

tia :)

15. jmtubera

jmtubera Member

I'm on my 7th week of waiting and still, there's no news about my BTO iMac, i am really getting impatient :(

16. ReddVFX

ReddVFX New Member

Maybe you'll get it next week. I got mine on the 8th week. ;)

17. jmtubera

jmtubera Member

annnnnd you're right, i got a text from lorriane and it will be arriving this saturday daw :redface:

18. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

Di ka na makaka tulog nyan. Haha. Still haven't tried boot camp for my fusion drive.

19. strutot

strutot Member

Guys, i need your opinion. I'm planning to get a 21"imac to replace my almost 10 yr old imac. Currently I don't use any memory intensive programs but i might dabble in LR in the near future. Should i upgrade the RAM and/or fusion drive? My only concern is that the imac should still be serviceable 5-7 yrs down the road. Given that the new imac is not user upgradable, I'm not just sure if the RAM/fusion drive upgrade is a need or a want :confused:

20. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Now that all my devices (iPad, rMBP, etc.) have SSD, I would not get a computer without it. I now get impatient with anything other than that. So my next iMac will be SSD. I can always get external HDs for storage and backup, but the computer itself must be SSD.

As for more RAM, like SSD, I would classify that as a need, not a want.