The new, thinner iMac (late 2012)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johannes, Oct 24, 2012.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

The thinnest iMac so far:

[​IMG]

- 21.5" (1920x1080 resolution) or 27" (2560x1440 resolution) LED-backlit display with IPS technology

- 21.5"
    -- comes in 2.7GHz quad-core i5 or 2.9GHz quad-coare i5, configurable to 3.1GHz quad-core i7)
    -- 8GB RAM, configurable to 16GB
    -- 1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive, configurable to 1TB Fusion Drive

- 27"
    -- comes in 2.9GHz quad-core i5 or 3.2GHz quad-core i5, configurable to 3.4GHz quad-core i7)
    -- 8GB RAM, configurable to 16GB or 32GB
    -- 1TB (7200-rpm) hard drive, configurable to 3TB hard drive, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, or 768GB Flash Drive

Fusion Drive:
    - combination of high-capacity hard drive + high-performance flash storage
    - frequently-used apps, documents, photos, etc are automatically moved to the flash storage, while those you don't use much are sent to the hard drive

Pricing:
    - 21.5" starts at $1299 (coming in November)
    - 27" starts at $1799 (coming in December)

2. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

now i'm broke. haha.. will buy the 27" with 3tb fusion drive. still thinking if i'll order a bto of and get an i7 and the 2gb graphics.

sayang hindi pa retina. kelan kaya ang release nun?

3. Ezurn

Ezurn Member

The retina's pricing is still at it's peak, so probably we have to wait more than a couple of years pa... hehehe,,, perhaps, the 27"s resolution will do for me now... I was thinking of getting the 21.5 only but the hype makes me thik twice of getting the 27" nalang with a fusion drive.. ehhehe

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

a 27" retina display would be *pointless*, pun-intended. :)

retina display makes best sense on compact devices, where physical display size is limited, which a RD essentially extends.

a 27" display is not lacking in pixels, so RD loses its price justification. not that there wouldn't be buyers, but it would be a small set of money-is-no-object gear sluts. :D

still, the iMac was the most stunning product announced today, IMO. little hype and hardly any leaks helped spring the surprise. too bad not everyone needs a desktop, because this had plenty of thunder, whereas the ipad mini only had lightning. ;)

5. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

When I first saw the picture, I thought "iMac Air"? My current iMac is jelly seeing this.. But I don't see the use of upgrading yet. Fusion drive is amazing though. :)

6. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I was awestruck thrice in this Apple event. First was with this georgious iMac, 2nd with the fusion drive (w/c is essentially an improved hybrid drive), and lastly with the iPad 4's announcement (I feel bad for the people that bought the iPad 3 I.e. the iPad 2 HD :p).

Needless to say, I love this new iMac! But I'm usually weary of new designs because it has yet to prove itself in real world and long term use. Good thing I have already learned to conquer my gadget lust otherwise I would have swiped my card in an instant for this one regardless of the risk of being an early adopter. I'll let others be the guinea pigs first then reconsider if I really need one later :D.

7. macbookproi5

macbookproi5 Member

I'll save up for this.

8. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

a desktop that's 5mm thin is an engineering marvel! need to save for those new mac hardware! 2012 is an expensive year to be an apple fan!

9. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree with rbenzon - having a retina display on a 27-inch iMac would be pointless. - you won't be viewing it near your eyes the way you would with an iPhone, iPad, iPod anyway... also, 2560 * 1400 ain't bad. -- However, it could have been better if it sports a 16:10 resolution :)

I'm more excited on the picture quality improvement - thanks to the lamination of glass on the display.

I also hope it no longer has the smudging issue :)

10. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

It also doesn't look like it has a user access for memory slot.

11. splukutum

splukutum Active Member

i wonder if there would be heat issues here.

12. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

I love this imac! My 2011 imac looks so fat :)

13. Escritor

Escritor Member

I can't wait to have this SWEET AND SEXY imac on my desk NOVEMBER will be a BROKE month for me ahahah

What I love about this sexy "thing" is the GT 650M =) now who says we can't play "WELL" on a MAC hehehe =)

14. zildjansg

zildjansg Active Member

also saving up for this sleek and sexy iMac...high time to replace my 2009 iMac 24"

15. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

you gotta love Apple's Mac division. they're always on the cutting edge, always fighting for market share, always innovative; though never selling as many as it should despite how wonderful and being so far ahead of the competition.

can't say the same thing about the iOS group whose upgrades have always been meh but still sell in the millions anyway.

16. outaru-go

outaru-go Member

Now that Apple made Tje imac so thin. Imagine what will the LED thunderbolt Cinema Display will look like.

I just hope the resolution is big enough that I don't get to see those ugly pixels..

17. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

It's funny that the Thunderbolt Display is now thicker than the new iMac "air".

18. outaru-go

outaru-go Member

I think a Thunderbolt Display upgrade is imminent.. It need to have USB 3.0 since the iMac, MacBook, and Mac mini have gone USB 3.0 already.

19. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

so, no more superdrive...

20. zildjansg

zildjansg Active Member

@Juice if im not mistaken, the SDXC card slot is at the back lining up with the USB 3.0