The new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docnico, Mar 10, 2015.

1. papajamba

papajamba Member

Just a short 1-year review of my early-2016 rMB 1.1 ghz and compared to my 2011 11-inch MB air.
    Pros:
    Graphics-wise, no contest and the rMB is beautiful hands-down!
    rMB is also lighter than the MB air.
    Battery lasts 5-6 hours with continuous use as compared to 3 hours on the old MB air. Bitin pa rin since my wife's 2014 MB air lasts 10-12 hours.
    Built like a tank since I bring the rMB in out of country and town trips.
    Cons:
    I feel that the processor is still sluggish and not a complete upgrade from my old MB air. Booting up has a lag for several seconds. Sometimes, I still see the spinning wheel lag.
    Keyboard use is still difficult and tactile feedback is really poor. Still having a hard time typing on it without errors. Almost always may error in typing. Had one button that got stuck but spontaneously resolved.
    The most major flaw is the lone USB-C port. Had to buy a 3rd party adaptor that is 3-in-1, which has USB-B, VGA and power. Didnt buy the apple branded one since review is just 2 out of 5 stars.

Conclusion:
    I'll take this time anytime since it's my wife's valentine's gift last year =)

mikeyllorin, jayparalejas and Sunil_K like this.
  2. milyonaryo

milyonaryo New Member

Mind sharing saan ka naka score ng UAG for MBP bro?

3. Rain Man

Rain Man Member

Had similar problems. My Macbook wont power up even though I press the power button multiple times. It just seem to power up after some time.

4. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

When I first got my rMB 2016 it happened to me twice. About to freak out but the software updates fixed it.

I think its related to power nap. check your power settings and disable power nap, then update your system. and re enable power nap.

That solved my issue. Hope that helps!

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Remember that keyboard issue I had some months ago? Well it's back and it's aggressive as ever...

Apparently, even a reboot, refresh, hard boot, reinstall couldn't keep the Horses' Men away...

This coming from that Apple Genius at The Apple Store in L.A. where my daughter brought it for repair...
    Verdict: "Bili na lang daw ng bagong MB. Mas maganda Ma'am iyung MBP with TB." - sabi ng Pinoy Henyo sa Genius Bar.

Sabi ni Anak: "Ano? Me TB? Magkasakit pa ako niyan no!" (Ang sabi ko: Hinde ka rin nagmana sa akin ano?)

jhonas015, learbaniqued, wulf and 3 others like this.
  6. enki_

enki_ Member

it does have in the center for like a mm. But it doesn't bother me at all...hardly notice it...until this post :)

7. denzzurcaled

denzzurcaled Member

I've been planning to use an external monitor for my 2015 MacBook. I just can't find any monitor in SM Megamall Cyberzone (not necessarily in 4k) that could support USB C connection and power at the same time. Any leads where I can buy one?

Gianna Dimson and coffeeboy like this.
  8. enki_

enki_ Member

best to acquire a usb-c hub which comes with either VGA or HDMI ports. I got me one from BTB for around 2.5k-ish (withstadard usb and usb-c charging port)

9. jayparalejas

Not recommended to use it in 4k. I used mine on my samsung sUHD tv using a Plugable Usb C to HDMI 4k 60hz Adapter. and the heat through the roof!

denzzurcaled likes this.
  10. mojako

mojako Member

Same experience here. I watched kodi on the external 4k TV. Heat thru the roof and ang bagal ng macbook. Hindi nya kaya mag multi task.

I tried streaming thru the apple TV, ganun rin. My macbook was the 2015 1.1ghz model. Upgraded to the new MBP non touchbar - flawless. :) hehehehhe

denzzurcaled and jayparalejas like this.
  11. jayparalejas

The reason it slowed down is the thermal throttling in place. go watch Linus Tech Tips when he tried to water cool the macbook.

So far I am happy with my 2016MB 1.1ghz - serves me well while travelling and coding. hehe

I will upgrade maybe the next refresh of the MacBook Pro

mojako likes this.
  12. denzzurcaled

denzzurcaled Member

I'll probably settle for a full HD display then :) It will just be used for some web browsing and binge watching.
    Thanks for the input guys!

13. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Any one here using any sort of power bank with their Macbook? Just got myself a 12 inch i5—my 15 inch MBP now serves as my home desktop. So far haven't missed anything from the 15 inch. Butterfly keyboard's starting to grow on me too.

14. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

For those looking for one as well, I found one in Digital walker. Xpower PB15Q 15000 mAh. My Macbook 2017 detects it as a power adaptor. Charges at around 20W which is more than sufficient.

Price is 3990 gross of Philmug discount.

15. Geego

Geego Member

I recently purchased an iMac to replace my 2011 MBP, but decided to keep my 2011 mbp just incase I needed a laptop. And yup, it failed me. So i'm thinking if getting a second hand 2016 rMB 12 would be worth it? How much does it run for, and what model would you suggest?

Not much budget for this as this will be a back up (and a portable) computer, and I just got an iMac last month

16. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

If you're on a budget, instead of buying second hand, maybe it's more affordable to buy a brand new one payable on installment basis. As far as I know, certain Apple authorized dealers there in the Ph offer 1 year installment at 0% interest. If you don't have a credit card, I'm sure it would be quite easy to find a friend or relative who does and can help you.

Another option is, if you have a friend or relative who resides abroad (ex: HK, SG, US, Japan, etc.), ask him/her to purchase a refurbished rMB from Apple's official online store using a credit card and payable on installment. You'd get it much cheaper that way, although you may not get your hands on it as quickly as if you were to buy it directly in the Ph.

Note: if you're dead set on buying an rMB, I strongly recommend that you consider the 2017 ones instead of the 2016 or earlier models. The 2017 models use the 2nd gen. butterfly keyboard mechanism and has more powerful CPU options (i5/i7), as much as 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM. I know it's meant as a backup unit--I'm just saying you have these options in case you need them.

Alternative: another option is to try fixing your 2011 MBP yourself. Provided you know what the problem is and which parts are busted, you can buy replacement parts at AliExpress.com and even fix it yourself by following the MacBook Pro repair guides at iFixit.

#916 Qin Zhi, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Sunil_K likes this.
  17. Geego

Geego Member

Thanks! I'm not skilled enough to fix my computer on my own. Might end up damaging it more.

Checked prices for the refurbished and they offer 2016 models only for now (US site).

I might just hope for an EOL sale from btb soon!

18. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

Don't get your hopes up about BTB's EOL sale. Only opportunity sellers get to buy anything at those promos. Stocks are mostly gone in the first hour.

Sunil_K and Qin Zhi like this.
  19. Geego

Geego Member

I noticed that. Same goes with PMC's sale. I hope they don't mark up the prices too much so we can purchase from them instead!

20. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

Check out the Apple Singapore Online Store for refurbished items. I can see 2015 refurbished models, one of which is the same as what I got months back. The only difference is I had to wait for months just to see the item for sale. Now, it's effortless shopping for those who wish to avail them anytime now. Good luck :)

https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15