The new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docnico, Mar 10, 2015.

1. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll go out now and buy that Sleeve.

2. dredful

dredful New Member

Good afternoon!

Just got the new Macbook 12" as well. The STM Scout 2 XS bag is on the top of my list right now but I would appreciate any other suggestions re perfect bag for the new macbook. Been looking for a discreet, small carrier but hopefully with secured padding too.

I'm tempted to just settle with a sleeve and use my current bags but this macbook is so light that I think it deserves an equally light carrier to go with it :)

hitme64 likes this.
  3. tx99

tx99 Member

I went to BTB Lucky Chinatown earlier to pickup the Macbook Pro Retina I reserved from Danica but couldn't resist the beauty & portability of the new macbook 12. Luckily, there were deliveries today of the new macbook space grey so I changed my mind and instead bought this gorgeous, super lightweight machine. Thank you Charlie & Danica for the discount & Josephine of BTB Lucky Chinatown for being patient with me while deciding to choose between the two MacBooks. Thank you also for this thread as most of my queries, especially on the performance of the new macbook, were answered.

jordan, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I was excited to see this at BTB Virramall:

[​IMG]

I thought I would give my Mom a small pasolubong gift for her new Macbook because she keeps on complaining how much of a hassle it is to plug use her regular USB Thumb drives so I wanted to make her life easier. As of this writing the 32GB one cost 6K pesos. A bit too much to pay for a 32gb thumb drive. That certainly dashed my hopes but I guess that is the high price of being an early adaptor. Maybe in a year or two....

armel likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^where'd you find this Ryan?

6. rafnexcorp

rafnexcorp New Member

I can't find this type of USB anywhere in Singapore..

7. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

image.jpg
    P6k here?

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yep let me reiterate. Beyond the Box Virramall at Greenhills. It is being sold there for 6K pesos last time I visited.

9. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

A month into using the new MB and I am in awe of how my computing experience has changed. Work doesn't feel like work anymore, and watching movies on the Retina Display makes up for the lack of real estate display. I couldn't be happier with the upgrade.

Oh and Mac for Office 2016 works very well too. No lags whatsoever.

hitme64 likes this.
  10. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I really preferred the Space Grey version (all my iOS devices are Space Grey) but when I stepped inside PowerMac Trinoma to sample the 12" again for the nth time, I was drawn to the 'regular' aluminium version... IDK if it's the lighting inside the store but it is shining! Contrast is best with that variant. Now I must know if I can move from 15.4" to 12"... Another trip to PowerMac again I guess...

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  11. hitme64

^make your trip worthwhile and get the aluminum now...and yes, you can!

Sunil_K likes this.
  12. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

My wife has had the MB12 for more than a month now and she's thoroughly enjoying it.

A minor software issue cropped up recently. Whenever she used "Save As" in MS Word 2011, the dialog box would flicker and it would take a long while before she could edit the filename. It turns out that a few others have encountered this.

The suggested workaround that worked for her: in the "Save As" dialog box, change the file view from Cover Flow mode into File List mode or another mode. Apparently the Cover Flow mode uses up a lot of resources generating all the thumbnails of the files in the current folder.

Also, the Microsoft Office 11 quirk is not isolated to the MB12 under Yosemite. A few others have reported having the same problem on an MBP.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  13. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Cusby adapters give you the building blocks to adjust to USB-C

[​IMG]

You can’t stop staring at the new 12-inch MacBook, especially the gold one. It’s lighter and smaller and while it has all the computing power of your suddenly-bulkier model, you’re not sure about life with a single USB-C port.

A Miami startup, led by an electrical engineer, has designed adapters that will allow you to plug in all your peripherals and then gradually cut back as you move to a more wireless future.

The Cusby Building Blocks plug into a USB-C port with each offering a more traditional plug-in, like the current standard USB-A port, another with an HDMI video-audio port or another with an extra USB-C port.

[​IMG]

USB-C is the future standard and Apple earlier this year introduced a new, thinner MacBook with a single USB-C port. USB-C offers a single connection for everything with a bi-directional cord that delivers more power with a uniform plug that eliminates the hassle of figuring out which side is up. A number of adapters are available on Google and in the Apple Store.

The Cusby blocks became available for pre-order Tuesday morning on Indiegogo, with a variety of donation levels to help the company raise $15,000. Backers for $65 can get two blocks and a USB-C extension cable.

“We’re invested in our devices and the future is wireless, but we’re not really there yet,” Cusby creator Albert Garvett told Cult of Mac. “The new MacBook design is beautiful. You don’t want to put a lot of bulky stuff around it. We’re trying to find a solution that fits everybody’s needs.”

Garvett said he believed the C needed to be upfront in Cusby and the Y at the end of brand name is “just to make it friendly.”

Future blocks will be friendly to Thunderbolt cables and photographers with a plug-in media card reader.

14. hitme64

i would actually like to live and make do myself without any other attachments to the new macbook...for now, my docs and files are in the cloud, my music in the drive, and all that is left in usb are my movies (because getting a 3tb cloud account is atrociously expensive...)

tx99 and Sunil_K like this.
  15. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

Anyone using a trackpad protector here? If yes, where did you buy it?

16. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

My very first Mac... all I can say is W-O-W. This machine is really some piece of work. I may never use my desktop at home ever again. Hehe

Thanks to Bro David @omarsytan for hooking me up :D

omarsytan and hitme64 like this.
  17. hitme64

^so our new macbooks are brothers, too...:D

omarsytan likes this.
  18. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

HAHAHA! if i miss the Macbook you might have another sibling!

19. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger PhilMUG Addict Member

David!!!! My trading buddy!

20. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

Miss our late night "coffee" Doc! haha, did you get the Macbook? it's an awesome machine!