The new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docnico, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

The scape gray one is gorgeous!

2. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

Been thinking about this a lot. I've tested it out on BTB stores and the gold looks gorgeous! However, my main and probably only concern is- the 128gb storage and the processor? Isn't it a downgrade from the MBA and the MBP? I'm also thinking of the MBA 2015- it weighs just as much with a little more storage. But the retina is missing. WAAAAH!

I don't do much with my MBP now- mostly downloading movies, apps, emails and photoshop. That's about it. My 2012 MBP can still hold up to it but I find that it's a bit slower than Im used to.

For those who bought already, is this really recommended over the 2015 MBA?

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I can unequivocally say that the new MB is the better choice over the 2015 MBA....

why? Because it can and because its retina...

4. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Barring the brief FarmVille 2 issue I mentioned above, my wife is enjoying her new MacBook. It even feels a bit zippier than her old late 2011 13" MBP. I was expecting it to perform more or less the same based on the benchmarks. For her needs, this is great.

So no regrets choosing this over the 2015 MBA. What tipped us to the MB was that the MBA was only half a pound lighter and also handles (because of similar length and width dimensions) almost the same as the 13 rMBP (the MB12 handles more like an iPad, in fact it's even lighter than my iPad Air with a Logitech keyboard case). So to me, the rMBP appears to be a better choice if faster performance vs the MB is the deciding factor and not the size.

5. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

Really? It is? I'm worried about the storage? and the USB Type C connector. Is the storage going to be a dealbreaker?

6. gaol

Well, we went with the 512GB version as her files won't fit anymore with the 256GB base model. As for the USB C connector, we bought the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adaptor, which has thus far proven useful only for installing MS Office via the SuperDrive, and probably for connecting to our projector in the near future. She would need it also for an external drive for Time Machine backups, but I'm looking also into these so-called wifi drives as an option. Other than that her usage doesn't involve plugging in a lot of USB peripherals so there. Hopefully if ever her needs change, there would be more workarounds available by then.

7. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

So you upgraded the storage? From 256gb to 512gb?

8. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

I'm also looking for this. :) All resellers are out of stock right now. :( Will check Hong Kong when I go next month but I doubt I will be able to purchase there as well. Made reservations already so I'm hoping I get a call soon.

9. gaol

I got the higher end model:

MJY42PP/A MacBook 12''/1.2GHz Intel Dual-Core Core M, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz/Intel HD Graphics 5300/8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM/512GB Flash Storage/Space Grey

10. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

Oh right. Let me check with BTB if they have stocks of that. hehe. thanks for reco. My initial gut feel was to get the MB instead of the MBA. I was just really taken aback by the storage but since they have a higher end model anyway. Might as well just get that.

11. gaol

Good Luck!

I got it from BTB also through VMall. Stocks might still be a little scarce, as in our case, we reserved last week of May and got the unit only last week. And according to Mae Ann of VMall only 1 unit--the one we got--of the 512GB Space Gray was sent to their branch.

12. hitme64

You'd have better luck with iStudio but their reservation list is now in the 50s
    ...unless someone here sells you their unit

Hmmm

13. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

Made a reservation with Danica. I'm still waiting for her confirmation as to the availability. I've made a reservation with PMC too but I dont like their after sales service so I'm probably not going to get from them.

I still prefer BTB over any other reseller.

14. hitme64

Two weeks using the new MB and am still enamored by it...one caveat tho': typing on the keyboard leaves oily marks and it needs to get wiped lest it stains the edges and other unused keys...overall it's still a 10 for me...

[​IMG]

oh, and logging in to PhilMug is a bright and clear affair thanks to retina...

[​IMG]

15. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally got to try one at PMC MOA. The space gray is beautiful! :D

I am not sure if it's the unit or what but it's laggy especially when closing and opening apps. The keyboard feels okay to me. I need to adjust the way I type since the keyboard is flushed compared to MBA/MBP. The screen is gorgeous. Like, really gorgeous. Side by side with MacBook Air and the MBA looks like a joke. :p

16. hitme64

i don't seem to have experienced any lag time for any app so far, ronnel...mine also boots up in less than 10 secs and down in less than 8 secs...i've tried doing handbrake, transmission, chrome AND quicktime player all open at the same time and found no sustaining heat from the MB...as it is, it works like a charm...

17. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. That's weird. I guess that's just an isolated case...

Still, there's no stopping me from getting that amazing laptop after that experience (of course not now...probably next gen? One can hope. :p ). The craftsmanship on that thing is unbelievable.

18. hitme64

if you're looking for the 512gb model and is available now, i know of someone who is letting go of theirs plus freebies...almost a day old like mine...

omarsytan likes this.
  19. hitme64

call it success but i'll say its a miracle...the new macbook has been on standby for 13 hours, while on wifi and with handbrake, transmission and chrome open and doing encodes...plus i watched End of Days just now and i still have around 8% left in the tank...and not yet on the red (but will be in exactly 8:35 minutes)

amazing...

Sunil_K likes this.
  20. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

Thanks! Will consider it. I actually prefer the entry level model but the 512 model sounds like a good deal. Will let you know.