The new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docnico, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

Just came from BTB lucky Chinatown. They have one unit of the gold 512gb and two units of the gold 256gb in stock.

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the heads up. Danica of BTB told me that there was no stock left. Not very happy with that. :(

3. armel

armel Active Member

This happened to my when I was ordering the iPhone 6 Plus. She said they had no stocks but I found out Market Market BTB had. She explained to me that she doesn't have control of the inventory of franchise BTB branches such as Market Market. So she called up the franchise branch to check, then made the reservation for me.

4. antski

antski Well-Known Member

for me it's better to check each branch myself and reserve it first.

5. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

Under different management LCM branch. Same with Burgos. So regular price of 65k and 80k. Number is 708-9447. Look for Josephine.

6. Salaryman Ryan

Sent Larry of iStudio a text and got no answer. Oh well.

Just got an email according to Ms. Danica someone from their Century Mall Branch backed out from his (or her) reservation. So they have one unit available. She will now request to her boss authorisation to send the item to Virramall where I will pick it up. Many thanks for going the extra mile for a loyal customers Ms. Danica and BTB. :)

7. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

I need to stop visiting the store of our apple resellers. I really like the new Macbook but it is more of a WANT than a NEED. Hahahaha

8. Salaryman Ryan

Same here friend. When I first saw the Macbook at the store I was mesmerised. I even contemplated giving my newly bought Macbook Air 11 to my mom and get the Macbook for myself instead. Haha.

Can't wait for the second gen to arrive.

#328 Salaryman Ryan, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  9. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

Looking forward for the second gen as well. Typical Apple cycle. Hahahaha. I know the 2nd gen will be a LOT better. :)

10. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Posting this from a demo SG MB unit at PMC. No keyboard issues for me here..

-coming from a guy who just sold his rMBP just hours ago.

Any stores that have a SG unit available?

11. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

what are you guys exactly waiting or expecting the second gen will have? just wondering :)

12. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Better processor (heard that skylake coreM processors are awesome) and hopefully another port (even if its another usb-c port, that will do).

13. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

For me, I really don't have a detailed expectation. I just hope that they make a similar jump they did with the 1st & 2nd gen macbook air.

14. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

The 1st Macbook Air also had just one USB port.

So I'm assuming that the 2nd gen Macbook next year will have 2 USB-C ports, plus a faster processor which can be at par with today's MBPs.

15. Salaryman Ryan

Finally got the Macbook yesterday and gave it to my Mom. Man does this little computer make some great first impressions, my Mom and my aunts were all wowing and wooing when they saw the Macbook. Setup was a little fidgety though, at first the wifi signal was weak. I tried connecting it to our PLDT Fiber connection and it would not connect. I had to stand right next to the router to make it connect. At the first 15 minutes I was walking around the house testing the connection of the Macbook because wifi would die if I'm not standing right next to the router.

My heart sank when I really thought I had a lemon. In one last ditch effort I did a software update on it. I had to place it next to the router to download, I restarted it and suddenly the wifi worked perfectly. I could go around the house and the wifi properly worked. Go figure.

With that said, after walking around the house trying to fix its wifi, this thing does indeed feel lighter than my 11 inch Air. Probably not a big difference but a noticeable one. This thing begs you to put it on your lap and do your computing everywhere. Definitely a laptop in every sense of the word. :)

[​IMG]

A few more impressions. See the screen? I'm listening to the Best of Mozart and boy this little notebook has some of the best speakers I've listened to in a tiny portable. Very nice crisp and very warm sound, unlike the tinny inside a empty can of my Macbook Air. It rivals my 17 inch Macbook Pro's speaker (which was exceptional) in everything except I guess for bass.

When Spotlight finished indexing it got quite warm but never hot. Watched some youtube videos with it while playing some flash games on Facebook and so far it only got as hot as lukewarm tea your forgot to drink after eating the main course in a Chinese restaurant.

As for the keyboard, I'm starting to get used to it, one thing I realize is because of the nature of the keyboard you need to be a bit more committed in pressing the keys or you will miss some strokes. In other words, because of having almost no travel, the keys seem a bit harder to press than those on my Air. The feel of the keys' texture is a very nice and very premium feeling matte, it is also a finger oil magnet. After typing on this for a few minutes I notice oil all over the keys so make sure you bring some cloth and small bottle of alcohol to wipe the keyboard down after you type or all that yucky human oil will be all over your screen.

Well that's it for now, my Mom will be looking for her Macbook soon. I just got to play with it for while her under the pretext that I was "setting it up" for her. Heh.

#335 Salaryman Ryan, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  16. Salaryman Ryan

Hmm some bad news guys. Looks like my Mom's gold Macbook's wifi reception is legitimately spotty. After I restarted it the wifi signal was lost again. The only way for me to connect to our wifi is to stand right next to the router and although it stays connected it can't seem to receive data when I bring it over to our living room. My iMac, iphone, and Macbook Pro never had this problem. So I'm taking it back to BTB to have it diagnosed this afternoon. Bummer.

17. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^wow, just when i had already put 99.9% of my mind on getting one after #APEC2015...

18. jazon_pogi

jazon_pogi Active Member

oh man i hope it gets fixed soon. my macbook don't have any wifi issue, still get good connection even our router is on third floor of our house here in manila.

19. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's in the router config. Since you mentioned it got fixed after the update, probably there was an issue on the default installed OS version

20. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I've been saving up for a 13" rMBP but I will be travelling next year so a lighter notebook appeals to me so much. I prefer a large screen (I've been using a 15.4 MBP the last 7 years) but I don't want to break my back!

When are they going to have a coloured 13"? =))