The new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docnico, Mar 10, 2015.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

coming from you, that gives me a better perspective of getting one, ray...for my needs, i think the new MB
    will definitely work for me...

2. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

This kind of post should be avoided. Too much poison. :p

I can't unread this. Hahaha!

3. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

ikitub can't get over the beauty of the 12inch display when I brought his unit over. But then again, it's his first OSX device with a retina display. For non-heavy usage and always on the go user, as long as you can live with the lack of ports, this might be just what you needed.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Dropped by SM Megamall and passed by PowerMac to see their new gold Macbook on display. Man it certainly looks gorgeous in the flesh. Played with the unit for 10 minutes and discovered a few things. Oh yeah at the moment I wrote this, the PowerMac stall at Cyber Zone was under renovation so they temporarily moved shop to the 3rd floor Atrium, under the Megamall Church.

1) I can see (uh feel?) now why the keyboard is so contentious. The keys have absolutely no throw but they are bigger and clicker. I'm a touch typist and it took me a few minutes to adjust because I was making mistakes despite of the keys being bigger. I guess it felt a little off so I was hitting the wrong keys. However it does have a very nice tactile-clicky feeling. Honestly I'm conflicted, I'm not sure I will like it or hate it. Maybe if I spend more time with it...

2) The force touch pad is very impressive. It felt I was actually clicking on a physical clicky button. The great thing about it is that unlike the old Macbooks (Pros) where only the bottom half of the touch pad clicks while on the Macbook, it evenly clicks everywhere! Very nice. I did notice that they made some changes in the gestures. Some of the four finger gestures are now only three, and the settings for the three finger drag seems to be missing... (After a quick Google, the option for 3 finger drag can be activated under Accessibility in Systems Preferences. Why do that Apple? To encourage people to adapt the new three finger gestures?)

3) Best looking Macbook ever. You have to handle it and see it in the flesh to appreciate its beauty. I dare say that the build quality of the 12" Macbook seems a step above the old 11" Air. And the Screen, oh my. The screen is gorgeous! Very much like my retina iMac's screen. The funny thing is the new unit sits besides an old display model of a year 2011 11 inch Macbook Air and compared to the sharp, colorful, and crisp retina screen of the Macbook, the Air's screen looks very washed out.

For some reason handling the 12" Macbook gave me flashbacks on how impressed I was when I first saw and tried the 12" Powerbooks when those things first came out.

[​IMG]

#304 Salaryman Ryan, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

I got to try the new Macbook at PMC MOA earlier and I must say it is really a beautiful piece of machine. I like the size and weight. Perfect if you're after portability. Sad to say that I'm not. I still need the raw processing and graphics powers of the 15inch rMBP since my job requires it.

I will definitely consider getting this one instead of an iPad if I'm after productivity and portability. Yes an iPad is still more portable but the added keyboard and trackpad is better for productivity related stuff.

Will wait for the next gen 'coz I still can't justify buying additional cables because of the one usb type c port. And I believe that Apple is doing the same strategy just like what they did with the original MBA.

And oh btw, the new Force Touch trackpad is magical! I absolutely love it!!

6. justinsan

justinsan New Member

7. mr.butch

mr.butch Member

I agree. My iPad Air 2 seldomly gets used since I got myself a MacBook. And I am really impressed with the performance. It is an upgrade from the non-retina MBP that was my work machine before.

8. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

What strategy is that related to the macbook air?

9. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

I've been trying to research online but have not been successful. Do you guys know the type of glass they use for this new macbook?

I've gone into the habit of putting screen protectors to every macbook that I had simply because I had an issue before with my old ibook or macbook where the screen will be marked with keyboard stains. When I tried to remove them, I had a hard time and I can't complete remove them. I don't know if recent screens have done away with this problem.

10. Salaryman Ryan

Bad news guys, I canceled my Apple Store order of my Mom's Gold Macbook because I thought Beyond the Box had stock. They even sent me a quotation list which gave me the impression they still have some in their inventory. Looks like it was bought quickly and I was placed on a waiting list. Sorry Mom, looks like we are going to wait for a little bit longer for your Macbook. :(

11. justinsan

justinsan New Member

Check out iStudio in Shangri-la bro. I checked 5 days ago and they had 2 stocks of each color. You can even call and reserve one (at least that's what I thought I did): Contact Us

Speaking of Beyond the Box: I also emailed them 5 days ago to offer that I'd cancel my online order in place of their sale if they could offer me a cheaper or faster alternative of the custom 1.3ghz variant. Instead, they simply forwarded me the standard price list you'd find online without details of the custom variant I was asking for.. Guess they didn't want my business :rolleyes:

12. Salaryman Ryan

Thanks I will. The thing is, when I checked the price BTB was a little bit cheaper though. I asked BTB when the next batch will arrive and they told me they don't have a ETA.

13. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Ryan -- See if you can speak to Larry. I'm sure he can match their prices

14. Salaryman Ryan

Thanks Sunil may I have Larry's email? Please send it to my PM.

15. empty

empty Active Member

I just tried some generic USB Type C cables and its not good news.

USB C to USB A Female - Not working

USB C to Micro-B Male (the end that plugs into USB 3.0 hard drives) - Not working, the drive wont even power up

USB C to USB A Male
    - Working*** as a power cable from a powerbank/USB wall adapter
    - Working as a Target Disk Mode Cable (with Macbook as the drive)

*** It does not have enough power to charge while the Macbook is on. The macbook only draws .44 A or 2 watts over the cable. The current is the same using a powerbank, Apple 12W adapter, Samsung charger. I have tested all three power sources and they are capable of at least 2.1 A so its the Macbook that is limiting the draw. When the Macbook is off it will charge but very slowly. I left it plugged into the Apple 12W adapter for an hour and it only went up from 84% -89%. In the few minutes it took me to type this post the 29W Apple USB C charger brought it up from 89% - 96%.

I was able to mount the Macbook as a drive on my other Mac using target disk mode. Speed was slow, using Blackmagic I was only getting 60-70MB/s read/write speeds. I couldn't get it to work the other way around as other macs use Thunderbolt or Firewire in TDM.

#315 empty, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  16. mr.butch

mr.butch Member

Are there locally available sleeves for the MacBook? Thanks!

17. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Pm sent [emoji4]

18. empty

empty Active Member

Try looking at sleeves for an 11" MBA they aren't that far apart in size. I use my Tucano neoprene sleeve and it fits quite well.

19. Salaryman Ryan

Hmm so that means we going to have to purchase the more expensive "original" cables and adapters for a while to get full functionality out of USB C? Yikes!

20. mr.butch

mr.butch Member

Thank you!