The new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docnico, Mar 10, 2015.

1. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

was able to try the demo units in Greenbelt. it looks amazing. too bad it's too underpowered for my needs. otherwise, it's gorgeous. the thing that impressed me most was the Force Touch trackpad. took me around a second before it registered that the trackpad isn't truly clicking. it does a damn good job of imitating the classic trackpad click.

also, the keyboard feels too shallow. it's responsive enough, key presses register crisply, and the larger key size is nice. my only issue with it is the very shallow travel. i'm a mechanical keyboard user so key feedback is an important criteria for me. among all macbooks, the 2012 Macbook Pro has the best keystroke in my opinion.

i hope apple sells space grey macbook pros soon. it looks really good! :)

2. mr.butch

mr.butch Member

Thanks, Salaryman Ryan and Jason_pogi for the responses.

I went to Powermac MoA this morning and got myself a gold MacBook. Gorgeous! I am satisfied with the performance and the keyboard. Suits the work that I do mainly: word processing, internet browsing, emails.

I have already cancelled my online order and will just wait for the USB adapter to arrive on the 13th!

3. jazon_pogi

jazon_pogi Active Member

gorgeous right, indeed!!!

4. Misterclutch

Misterclutch Member

Everything is so compact. This is ok if you're on the move all the time.

5. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm torn between the space gray and gold the space gray looks good too. It's darker than the space gray of my iphone 6+ when i compared them side by side

6. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

a friend of mine is offering his 1.2 8gb 512 Space Gray unit to me for $1500. It was an impulse buy for him but after 2 days of using it, he prefers the rMBP. He's adding a couple of USB to USB-C adapters with it. Dunno if i should get it. If i order from the apple store, including taxes comes around to $1740. Thats 250 savings right there

7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

take it, take it!

the world becomes a better place once you get it...of course, you'll tell us how good it is and that we need to get one, too...

8. Sunil_K

Lol. I still am on the fence regarding this.

The tested.com review posted by Salaryman Ryan is still in the back of my mind. He said now is not the best time to buy any mac notebook as everything is in transition.

9. omarsytan

omarsytan Active Member

Was so tempted to pull the trigger on the 256gb model yesterday when I saw one at BTB, but got a brand new late 2013 MPBr 256gb for 12k cheaper. The practical side of me is happy but the gadgetgeek side of me is crying haha!

10. summertango

summertango Member

Tried the new MacBook in PMC MOA gosh i resisted myself. It is sooo sexy!! Wondering if I'm getting an Air vs this.

The new MacBook seems too luxe for me [emoji16]

11. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

I was at BTB rockwell too and i was impressed. Planning to get one soon.

12. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

Echoing the sentiments here. Tried it yesterday at BTB and now fighting off the urge to get one.

Its so small and light! I tried out force touch and its amazing. The past few years I've not been clicking my trackpad but just tapping as I've thought the mechanism might be subject to wear and tear. Force touch doesnt have moving parts from what I read so I hope nothing breaks long term.

13. empty

empty Active Member

My wife initially decided to switch from an 11" air to the new Macbook. But when we went to BTB to try the demo units she decided that she needed the USB ports more than the weight savings. I on the other hand decided I want the 16:10 aspect ratio. So now I'm the one going to switch from my 13" MBA. He he.

Has anyone tried running virtualbox or some other VM on the base 1.1ghz Macbook? How is the performace?

14. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

got my MacBook also.. coming from a 2011 11" MBA. i'm so loving the new MacBook. it's so beautiful.. and the screen is really awesome..

15. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

^ Bought locally sir?

16. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

17. empty

empty Active Member

If I ever feel any buyers remorse about getting a Macbook I just have to compare it to my 17" MBP and everything is good. :p

The lack of a standard USB A port and the fact that there are no adapters available yet at BTB was a major hurdle for me to get things set up. Then I remembered my Kingston Mobilite Wireless. Its turns SD cards and portable hard drives/flash drives into wireless storage. I just conected to it via wifi and my hard drive appeared as a shared folder under network. And its "Space Gray" too. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sunil_K

Damn thats so beautiful!

19. mree

mree Well-Known Member

Should not visit this thread! Hahaha. I really want that Space Grey Macbook.

20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm......after putting it off for a while, I finally got some quality time on the New MacBook. I was highly impressed by its portability and features. Really, really nice. It makes the MacBook Air look fat and obsolete. Everything felt just right. It is a definite winner.