The new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docnico, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

#221 Salaryman Ryan, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

ahh yes, the new sleek macbook is really begging me to be taken...

ryan, you just added me to the list of soon-to-be owners...

3. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Latest model 13" rBMP and the new MacBook have the same price: P64,990 (base model)

Both have 8GB RAM but the MacBook has a 256GB SSD. The rBMP though has a faster processor.

Decisions, decisions

4. rockion

rockion Member

the most Comprehensive Review!

a side by side comparison of all the Macbooks of 2015!

Macbook Pro 13" Base Model, Macbook Air 13" Base Model, Macbook Air 11" Base Model, Macbook 12" Base Model, Macbook 12" High-end Model

[video=youtube;xRGxC9_I1K4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGxC9_I1K4[/video]

Benchmark, Disk Speed test, Cinebench, editing and exporting a 4K video at FCPX what else more?

okey I'm sold Apple! I am! LoL hehehe

btw, 480p cam isn't so bad at all! and you can hook it up ok a 4K monitor at 60hrz

Just watch it! and you will be sold too! hahaha :p

5. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Me too! I still havent bitten the bullet for the mba 11" maxx. The macbook is quite tempting. Just trying to see if i can get away with one port.

6. Salaryman Ryan

The Macbook is a very tempting second or third Mac indeed. Its taking all my will power to refrain as I can't deny that this Mac is more of an emotional than a practical purchase no matter how much I justify it.

I have a dark dark secret to share with you guys, I actually lusted and even bought one of the first generation 13 Air back in 2009. Boy did I regretted it when Apple did a massive update on the Air and came out with the current design of the 11" and 13" inch which was much more superior in both design and in specs. I'm not about to repeat history again.

7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

well i have the SAME MB Air of 2009 and it's still going strong, despite its limitations...its hinges are not as crisp as they were when new...it's boot-up time is longer than a dog's pee...and it's screen is just as bright as a Nokia 1300...

but it was the first of its kind, and like Ryan said, looking at the MB (particularly the Air) is an emotional than practical ride...that's why it's so hard to let go (both of owning them and buying another)

8. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Maaaan, I can't wait to see one in the flesh. These things look gorgeous!

My mommy bought the 2008 Air. It was one fragile notebook especially the hinges. We had to take it to PowerMac because the hinge failed and almost snapped off. It was slow as molasses too.

9. Salaryman Ryan

Video review by the Verge

[video=youtube;gnqYiHCS3Sc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnqYiHCS3Sc&src_vid=noZAqbn92gM&annotation _id=33ff0e89-4ff3-441c-9379-34db87cc6227&feature=cards[/video]

10. WickedMac

WickedMac Active Member

GAS kicking in again!

11. rockion

rockion Member

An overview with Photoshop CC with multiple apps opened

[video=youtube;3IFLw3m1kKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IFLw3m1kKw[/video]

now who says the new Macbook is slow? :p

12. Misterclutch

Misterclutch Member

For photo editing yes its ok but not for video editing.

13. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

For very light Photoshop work any kind of modern Mac will do okay. Serious editing? Hmm probably nope.

14. Salaryman Ryan

Unfortunately using even moderately power hungry apps like Chrome could heat up the fan less Macbook and throttle its performance. I can imagine getting this message often if you do a couple of edits in Photoshop, Aperture, or Lightroom...

[​IMG]

15. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

Yikes! So if you even moderately push the Macbook it slows down to reduce heat? Not a good sign. The anandtech review was correct, these things are decently fast but only for a short burst, once the Macbook heats up its performance suffers... (and I like Chrome too...)

16. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

My wife's 11" 2011 macbook air (128gb hdd, 4gb RAM) can handle my normal photoshopping duties so your video is invalid.

17. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Ugh Ryan, your post sank my heart. Performance throttling due to heat is never a good thing... :(

Honestly, I"m very tempted too. I have some extra go to heck cash from my last job and I'm itching for an upgrade. The gorgeous retina screen, the small size, and even the keyboard feels super nice raw according to impressions around the web are great temptations. However Imma gonna wait cause its first gen hardware on every level: (ex. new motherboard design, new enclosure design, new everything) so its going to have its bugs which will be eradicated and perfected in the next update.

If you can control your excitement it is probably most prudent to buy the second gen of this thing.

I second PJ, my SDD upgraded 2010 white Macbook can run Photoshop smoothly too.

18. Misterclutch

Misterclutch Member

[​IMG]

Just tried it out at the Apple Store. It has the feel and handle of a netbook.

19. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

even on my 15inch Retina Macbook Pro, Chrome can start causing the fans to spin up because of extra heat. that's why i use Safari most of the time.

i can only imagine what Chrome can do to a fanless notebook. haha.

20. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

i'm so getting this one as soon as it arrives. Good thing the two main requirements i need to justify the high price - retina screen and portable - is what it has. It's underpowered definitely, but even when i had a macbook pro before all i did was casual browsing, watching videos, etc, and my line of work only needs me to write, so that works in my favor :)