THE Manny Pacquiao Thread (ALL Pacman talk goes here)

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by pengski, Sep 6, 2005.

1. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

*cough* LT and group of companies *cough*

2. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Those few that she checked, were probably the kids that bullied her in the past :p

3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Baka naman the P1.1-million that the BIR garnished are all that Manny has to show for his winnings?? That's why he needs to "borrow" money to donate to Yolanda victims. Which begs the question, where did all his money go??

But then...

[h=1]Henares to Pacquiao: Don't use BIR as excuse[/h]Excerpt:
    '"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The warrant has been issued to him since July. It's not as if it was given to him recently. July pa ho yan. In fact, the case he filed against us sa CTA (Court of Tax Appeals) was in October," she said, clarifying reports that the warrant was issued after the boxer's win in Macau.'[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maybe the US IRS collects taxes differently, though, so that all the prize money that Manny got was already tax-deducted before it was given to him.[/FONT]

4. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

Manny should ask his lawyers and accountants. I can't find reason for the BIR to go after him if he indeed filed the correct documentations. Saka paiba iba na sinasabi nila..one day they'll say IRS won't issue the paper..then they said they are already requesting, then they're saying they have the paper. Show receipt that BIR indeed received that document. I think someone is being scr*wed. I totally agree with the BIR when they said manny should be questioning his accountants and lawyers. Baka nga for all he knows he's paying the right taxes. Who would believe Manny knows the pasikot sikot ng taxes, that's why he hire those people to do that for him. Now they're still using his face for public sympathy wherein they should be the ones doing the explaining. And the guts to use his latest win to tell people the BIr timing's off. Poor guy..err.

5. CruciaL

CruciaL Well-Known Member

quick question,

US already taxed Manny's earnings from his fights right ?

Are those subject to tax here in PH too ?

6. alanis_junkie

according to what I heard from an interview with the BIR commissioner, if he's been taxed already in the US he should not be taxed here anymore..that's why they're asking for the IRS document. To see his actual earnings in the US and what was taxed. Instead what they gave was a certification from Top Rank that manny indeed paid taxes in the US (parang employee tax witheld yata lumalabas since top rank ang nagbayad). that document was the only thing BIR is asking daw and they can't produce it.

7. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

I heard this from one of those who attended. And i think it is true. It is a high school reunion of a chinese school in quezon city.

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow, she is certainly the life of the party.

I agree. We all should pay out taxes regardless but why does this have to turn into a media circus? Can't both parties just privately and quietly discuss this issue behind closed doors? At least make Manny save face after the big morale booster he gave to our countrymen.

9. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

If BIR is after the 2008-2009 earnings of PacMan in the United States, shouldn't the IRS be after Manny already if he did not really pay his dues? I'm sure the IRS is ten steps ahead of our local BIR when it comes to tax collection, so I'm siding with Manny on this one.

Just similar to requiring doctors to post their prices on their clinics, this is another illogical move by Henares.

10. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

in the US there are 2 definite things that will come in your life: the IRS and death.

in our country there are 2 things you will surely experience once your heart beats: corruption and death. :)

i agree with you if Manny have not paid his taxes i am sure the IRS is already on his heels a long time ago.

11. nicled

nicled Member

I think the issue is not how much Manny owes BIR. The real issue is the "timing" of BIR. They should have been prudent to wait, maybe give Manny and the Filipino people time to savor his win before coming in with the tax issue. After all the tragedies, Manny's win brought a "ficker" of hope to all of us after months of disasters, etc. The BIR PRACTICALLY cut short this winning moment. We NEEDED his win for a change. Sayang.

12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....I smell a rat and that rat is named politics, PNoy-style.

13. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I think the BIR going after Manny is to distract the public from the other issues hounding the administration: PDAF, DAP, the on-going Yolanda relief fiasco, etc.

14. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Guys, better look at all the facts before passing judgment. It was over two years ago when the BIR asked Pacquiao to explain why his tax earnings from the US should not be taxed. His bank accounts have not been frozen, and AFAIK, a tax-evasion case against him has yet to be file by the BIR. Someone decided to headline this issue recently, for what reason is anyone's guess.

15. alanis_junkie

^ Manny's PR is hard at work, instead of his lawyers and accountants. From the interviews (radio and not mainstream), I heard that the accounts (2 accounts worth 1.1M only) has been frozen since July, not just recently. There's a party sensationalising the issue for whatever reason (but probably politics). Assuming that Manny really paid the tax in the US, it is easy to produce the document that says so (contains how much he earned, how much tax was deducted), but instead of producing one, they waited to finish (and win the fight) then turned to media and cried harassment. Na produce na ba yun IRS document na yun? I heard certification lang from Top Rank? Ganun ba talaga sa US? I remember some of my team before when they went to the US for an assignment for almost a year, the company did not issue a certification that they paid their taxes in the US. They were able to produce the documents by themselves.

16. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....Henares wants a certified true copy or original. What if electronic form was filed with the IRS (paperless) and electronic fund transfer was used to settle the taxes due?

17. balikpinoy

balikpinoy Member

There is an IRS form that Henares can have manny sign that will give Henares access to Manny's IRS returns. This is a standard form that's used in many real estate and loan transactions.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

18. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

I just saw a pic of Manny on twitter where he is holding some kind of form from IRS. Not sure if that's what Henares wants and why he is still holding on to it instead of giving it to BIR.

19. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Manny really needs to call off his PR guys and tell his lawyers and accountants to simply do their jobs. One problem I can imagine that may have led to this mess is, when this problem first emerged, people around him probably kept telling him "Pabayaan mo lang yan, congressman ka naman, eh. Di ka hahabulin ng BIR."

20. balikpinoy

balikpinoy Member

He is showing a copy of his supposed 2009 return.