The macOS Sierra thread

Discussion in 'Sierra (10.12)' started by penmanila, Jul 6, 2016.

1. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Not sure if it's a macOS specific issue, but some apps can no longer share split-view with other apps. In Filipino, namimili na siya. Can't determine when or why this happens though. Any ideas? I've experienced it so far with Spotify, Slack, and Telegram.

2. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Also not sure if this is a macOS Sierra issue: I could no longer run powerpoint presentations (Office for Mac 2011). I could open the app and view ppt files but it would not run the slideshow

papajamba likes this.
  3. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Another bug I noticed: there are cases when an external drive gets unmounted improperly e.g. accidentally loosening the cable, you can no longer mount the same disk and opening DiskUtility will be stuck at the "Loading disks" screen. If you use terminal and run the command
    Code:
    diskutil list
    you will see that the missing drive is still there. Even if you force eject the drive via
    Code:
    sudo diskutil unmount force /dev/disk#
    successfully, it will still be in the disk device list. macOS will hold on to the disk device until you reboot the machine.

trigo likes this.
  4. papajamba

papajamba Member

Any update or workaround on this? I use both keynote and ppt. Have to hold on to elcap as of the moment

5. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

MacOS Sierra messed up the facetime camera of my MBA mid 2011. Green LED light is on but no image at all (total blackness). Tried photo booth to test the camera but stays the same. It was fine on Yosemite and El Capitan. Anyone with the same problem and how to fix? Already googled a terminal command fix but still didn't fix the issue. Did SMC and PRAM reset and no joy.

#125 rednaxela, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

Thanks and i'll try this one.

I have also issues of finder being too slow.

Found solution in the net, i turned off icloud drive and it is back to pre-sierra quickness in finder.

7. aries405

aries405 Member

all i can say is i wish i hadnt updated to sierra..my mac minis' running slow and weird.. all apps takes too long to load

trigo likes this.
  8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

After praising Sierra in another thread, it suddenly acted up and slowed down considerably. So I took it off my iMac (2011) but kept it on my rMBP (2012).

Of course, it happened on the day it was announced that Apple would be rolling out new MBPs and iMacs!

9. panis

panis Well-Known Member

None yet.

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Keynote should work on Sierra and as workaround w/o animation you can have Keynote play PPT slides

11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I was researching desktop & notebook upgrade cycles and it appears that macOS support follows 6 year purchase cycle for PCs.

I looking at my Macs this reflect this behavior.

12. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

10.12.1 is out!

13. itnetad

itnetad Active Member

my MBA improved with the update I no longer experienced any beach balls

14. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

me too, finder is snappy too.

15. ma5te12m1nd

ma5te12m1nd Active Member

With 10.12.1 update. Notes.app is often crashing when you unlock password locked notes. Irritating! :mad:

Already sent a feedback to Apple. I guess this has something to do with the new MacBook Pro's Touch Id.

16. ment

ment Active Member

17. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I have an MBA 11" mid 2013. My last OS was Yosemite and I had been putting off upgrading to El Capitan, waiting for bugs to be fixed. Before I knew it, Sierra had come so, on a whim, I installed it last night. Lots of changes, this might not have been a good idea. Hahaha. I should've watched YouTube comparisons of the OS first before taking the plunge. Still trying out stuff. Let's hope minimal bugs.

18. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I want iTunes to play local music on my hard drives, not through iCloud. I don't really care about Tunes Matching et al. There is no button to disable iCloud in Sierra iTunes Preferences anymore. So annoying when Apple tinkers with stuff that's been working well for you. Apple, please don't fix what ain't broken, and leave well enough ALONE!

#138 Chito Limson, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Sunil_K likes this.
  19. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

I normally wait 3-6 mos before installing the annual OS change. Sometimes I even skip it if there is really nothing substantial for my use. I'm still on Yosemite & just observing the comments here & in other websites on Sierra.

makintosh and Sunil_K like this.
  20. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Possibly a knee-jerk reaction to Spotify & other music-streaming sites?