The MacBook Air (Original and 2010) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by elbert, Jan 18, 2008.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

How many of you have actually pre-ordered the new MacBook Air?

I couldn't wait, so I went ahead and whipped out my credit card. Here's what I got; MACBOOK AIR 13/1.6/2GB/80GB I had it shipped to my sister in VA and will have her send it to me via air mail in a brown envelope (kidding).

I opted for the 1.6GHz because I felt USD300 for a 200MHz bump is difficult to justify. I also can't bring myself to fork over USD1,000 for a SSD that's 20% smaller in capacity, so it's the 80GB for me.

As far as accessories are concerned, since I barely use the optical drive of my PowerBook, I chose not to order the external SD (at least not yet) and give this whole Remote Disk business a real chance. I'm sure to order a 500GB Time Capsule when it becomes locally available.

Why did I pre-order? Simple, it's the Mac I've been waiting for. Besides, I'm an Apple fanatic. It's bad enough that I haven't switched over to Intel yet.

I'm so excited, I can't wait! Three weeks is torture though!

here's the proof

2. renfield

renfield Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

Re: MacBook Air pre-order roll call

congrats, elbert! first, penmanila, now, you. now, if only someone would step-up and order the insanely overpriced ssd version. :)

3. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Congrats Elbert!!!!! Anyone willing to pony up and get the SSD version? Anyone?

4. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

ill probably order locally...

btu 1.83ghz w/ 80gig and hopefully the hd is user replacable.

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member Supporter

take note that elbert and i are two of the longest 12" G4 holdouts in philmug. i also ordered the Rev A 867mhz G4 right after it came out in 2004. the macbook's a good laptop, but i wanted another aluminum-sheathed machine, and the 15" MBP was just too big for my needs.

so the wait's been worth it. the MBA may fail a lot of other people's expectations, but it fits mine perfectly (or almost; if the screen were just 9", it would've been perfect).

(another odd coincidence, elbert: my sister lives in virginia, too, and she's going to be receiving the MBA for forwarding to JAC in NYC. heck, we might get our MBAs on the same blessed day! i'm betting feb. 22.)

6. rands

rands Member

wow. congrats on your purchase!!! :)

7. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

My wife is strongly considering getting this one, decided to wait until she actually gets to touch and see one. Let's see what Charlie will be bringing home soon :)

Leo

8. penmanila

Staff Member Supporter

and in preparation for my coming MBA, i've just secured a cheap applecare policy from ebay for $143.45 including shipping (i just really need the number, but i don't think this seller will forgo the shipping), more than $100 off the $249 apple store price tag--that's less than P5,900 for applecare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110213190244&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

this is a good tip, folks: applecare can be found dirt-cheap on ebay (i got a $349 powerbook APP once for only $99 there), as long as you can be sure the number is unused (check the seller's feedback--not infallible, but indicative).

the APP for the MBA is the same, btw, for any macbook and ibook (they use two different serial numbers but apple will accept both).

9. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

I can't wait for the impending EB! :D

10. renfield

renfield Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

update: from the other "macbook air ordering" thread. someone has already ordered the ssd version. congratulations to user "flipto" for being daring enough to take the plunge!" :)

11. penmanila

Staff Member Supporter

saw that, too--i have the daring, but not the budget! :(

12. flipto

flipto Member

$3,252.90 for the 1.8 GHz 64GB SSD Version. I've heard all the MacBook Air bashing and that didn't stop me from buying. This is my first MacBook and I can't wait for it to arrive. :D

...(I live in Virginia too!:rolleyes:)

#12 flipto, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

and to really keep up with the ads...get an AirMail with your MacBook Air... :p

[​IMG]
    From Cool Hunting...
    Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice, which is why we love the new manila envelope-based AirMail sleeve designed for the new MacBook Air by our favorite quick thinkers, Jona Bechtolt and Claire L. Evans. Yep, someone already did it.
    We were hoping that the Airs would ship in an actual manila envelope, but the AirMail lends functionality by handmaking the case out of upholstery grade vinyl and lining it with fleece. The result is a super slim profile that protects the little marvel and is the same dimensions as a manila envelope serving "to remind you—and everyone around you—that your new MacBook Air really is the thinnest laptop in the world!"

[​IMG]
    Jump on the hype-wagon and pre-order the AirMail for $30 from the AirMail site to get it when your Air arrives.

14. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

is it cheaper to get it in US or HK? just wondering? :p im getting one too... :p

15. drknight888

drknight888 Active Member

If only i can buy it now...

16. RommelReyes

RommelReyes Active Member

my wife read about it and she is considering pre-ordering one from the singapore store. she is the last pc holdout in our family. my boys and i are already mac die-hards. we shall see....

17. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

An even cheaper alternative is the bubble-lined manila envelope you'd find at National.

18. elbert

elbert Active Member

but not as environment friendly. :)

I'm going to place an order for the AirMail, I think it's a wonderful idea.

19. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm seriously thinking about ordering one myself, problem is that I have no one in the US who i can send it to and in turn send it to JAC..

Penmanila/Elbert - I can't wait for you to get your MBAs and tinker around with them as your reviews are very insightful. Wish we can fwd to Feb 22 already hehe :) Most likely I'll get it from either the HK or Singapore Apple Stores.

20. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Imagine going to a meeting or presentation with that.

Entrance pa lang, panalo na! ;)