The iPad Apps/AppStore

Discussion in 'iOS & iOS Apps' started by doblezeta, Apr 2, 2010.

1. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: What are your must-have iPad apps?

The thing with Twitterrific is that it doesn't allow photo attachments. Twittelator for iPad is way better and is for sale for just $1.99 (originally $4.99).

2. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Have any of you folks tried Crosswords for the iPad?

3. aczafra

aczafra Member

4. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

I have Crosswords and my mom just loves it. She borrows my iPad just to play. The puzzles are kinda hard thou coz theyr US targeted hence some clues are hard to decipher.

5. chu

chu Active Member

Atomic Browser is just great. It acts like a desktop browser with so much customization. I usually just like safari, but this thing just blows it away. Real tab browsing, tabs don't need to keep refreshing, offline viewing of saved pages, its faster, on top of that you can disable ads which makes it even faster than it already was, there's just so much. Definitely a must buy at $.99.

6. filjedi

filjedi Member

So far, the apps I really like are:

Keynote
    Pocket Legends
    We Rule
    CastleCraft
    Godfinger
    Glee
    Marvel/IDW/iVerse

Twitterrific is okay so far, still waiting for Tweetie/Twitter. Hold-em HD is fairly decent. Also, haven't played around with JamPad much, but it looks promising. My son loves Toy Story and Tap Fish.

Haven't really downloaded any paid apps (except for Keynote & Glee). Once I have the time to fool around, might just download Nova HD & PvZ HD. :)

7. jpatrickn

jpatrickn Active Member

Just tried AIM and it can integrate your feeds from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and others. It's just like tweetdeck for the mac where you could see all updates from your social networks. I am using this until tweetdeck for the ipad gets fixed.

8. iamtij

iamtij Member

Pool Pro Online 3 for iPad is very addicting! You can play against the iPad and challenge other players online as well. You can add me there and we can play 9-ball :) BTW, my user name is Mr.8. Enjoy!

9. carloople

carloople Member

Hi guys! Wrote a short blog post on my top picks for iPad business.work apps that I've used so far. To summarize the post, I'm lovin' Keynote, iMindMap, and Toodledo. :)

10. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

11. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

I also highly recommend atomic web browser. I use this when I browse sites that require tabbed browsing like mug, reddit, and facebook. Just keep on loading tabs in the background (just don't go over 10 or risk a crash and loss of all your open tabs)

A tip for atomic browser, set your identify browser as Safari Desktop. Fixes a lot of issues with mobile version of sites and gives you the full web experience. Caveat of this method is that YouTube videos load as flash, hence legoed or blank screen.

12. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Thanks, dude! l finally bought Crosswords and it's fantastic. Daily downloads of quality crossword puzzles for free!

I must say, this is one of the best apps out there and solving puzzles is so much fun with an iPad. :)

=========

I'm also loving the Zinio app for the iPad. (works with the iPhone, too) I've been a Zinio subscriber for some time now but until recently, I read my digital magazines mainly with my Mac (it's a literal pain in the neck to read digital magazines in the iPhone/iPod Touch).

For the uninitiated, Zinio is a great way to read/subscribe to magazines. Magazines like Macworld, National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, Car and Driver, Popular Photography, etc. You get them on time. Quality is great. And yes, they're a lot cheaper, too, as compared to buying the actual magazine, especially here in Manila. Some subscriptions are $8-12 for a year. That's barely $1 per issue or barely 50 Pesos--cheaper than a Starbucks coffee. And yes, you save trees because they're digital. :p

Anyway, it's great reading my Zinio subscriptions with the iPad. The screen size and resolution are good; the whole page fits well in the 9.7" screen. I can bring my magazines anywhere. The library is organized. It's colored (unlike the Kindle's grey screen) so the images look phenomenal, and some issues come in iPad Interactive versions (where you can view clips within the magazine, for example). Now, my digital magazines aren't stuck in my Mac. They now go with me in my iPad. Together with my iBooks and the iBookstore, Zinio and the iPad made reading even more fun and convenient.

#112 johannes, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

crosswords and scrabble for ipad are great time-consuming games, very entertaining and very mind-numbing :p

14. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

+1 for PaperDesk ($1.99)
    If you need a tool for your iPad to take down notes, copy illustrations while recording the audio, this is a great tool to have for a good price.

I emailed the developer about my concerns when I first used the app, and in a few days, there was an app update that was actually scheduled already.

They are currently in the process of creating a way to export the recorded audio via iTunes as a voice recording.

HTH!

15. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Active Member

I'm addicted to pinball hd!!

Someone should fix the Philippine itunes store!! We can't get half of the cool things that're in the U.S. store!! Not even the free iBooks!! They cant use the "The iPad is not yet available in the Philippines yet." excuse because there are some ipad only apps there already.

16. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Tried atomic browser (set to safari desktop). Seems buggy, tells me i have 7 sites open but tabs show only 6. 1st tab's also not centered on screen. Back to safari for now Ü

17. filjedi

filjedi Member

I highly recommend Warpgate HD Free & Battle for Wesnoth HD ($0.99). The gameplay of Warpgate reminds me of Space Trader for Palm. The only bad thing is that I've reached the end of the story mode of the free version in just two days, though I can still explore & trade freely. Wesnoth works far better on the iPad then on the iPhone. It's very close to the desktop version, quirks and all. :)

18. chey_israel

chey_israel Member

iPad App Store

i cant connect to App store using my Philippines iTunes account, but with my U.S. account, no problem. Can anyone help? Thanks.

19. empty

empty Active Member

Re: iPad App Store

Since the iPad isn't officially released in the Philippines the Philippine app store does not support the iPad yet.

20. esoriano

esoriano Member

Re: iPad App Store

i had to create a US account just to download apps... but try this... after opening up itunes go to the search bar on the upper right and do a search for a particular app try "news"... once the page loads you will see 2 or 3 levels.... the first is for iphone, the 2nd is for ipad and the third is for itunes U... being curious i tried to download BBC news which is a free app... to my surprise it went through... FYI i was on my philippine itunes account when i accidentally did this..