The iPad (2018)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ice, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

2. aragorn_109

aragorn_109 PhilMUG Addict Member

The Apple Pencil support on this one may cannibalize the sales of the 10.5” iPad Pro. There seems to be no added value for buying a Pro apart from True Tone display and Smart Keyboard support. I’m sure the other third party keyboards will work for the current 9.7” iPad lines.

3. ice

I actually find it strange that Apple did not refresh the iPad mini...

The iPad mini 4 is presently S$100 more expensive than the iPad!

Yes, the current mini has 128GB storage, but it uses a (2014) A8 chip that was released with the iPhone 6!

4. levijones

levijones Member

The bump to A10 is very nice, considering it's the same price as last year's 9.7 in iPad.

It would be even better if the RAM was increased to 3GB, for better performance in future iOS updates and browsing of RAM-heavy websites in Safari. Perfect upgrade for those who are still holding on to their iPad 2 :)

5. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Will it get iOS updates until the year 2023? This looks like a great replacement for the 2013 iPad Air.

6. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

The promotion alone is a huge difference at least in my personal experience add the fact that the screen is also fully laminated which make the icons and colors pop... it is very noticeable when using the ipad pro 10.5 for a long time then you shift to the regular ipad screen... the bigger screen also benefits alot with multitasking... how i wish apple added promotion to the iphone X, maybe in the next iteration. But i do agree, some people who only need the basics and on a budget will surely go with the cheaper ipad

7. ice

Personally, 2018 iPad is a good upgrade if you still need tablet. I have a mini 4... but "handy" (not "need") is a better word to describe my relationship with my mini :)

As for Apple's goal to reach students.

IMO, the iPad needs a full desktop version of Chrome and a USB-C port.

My daughter (and her classmates) are way better than me when collaborating using Google Docs, all they need is a full Chrome browser to make changes to their projects/reports.

Acer's new Chrome OS tablet will be very tempting if priced correctly.

8. Ikon

Ikon Member

How long does it usually take to reach our local resellers after apple's announcement?
    Time to upgrade my Air

9. shootertwist

Usually with the ipad its about a month, but this “new” ipad might come sooner since it will surely have lots of stock since apple is basically reusing the same shell of the previous 9.7 ipad... also confirmed it has 2gb ram

Ikon likes this.
  10. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

This is a good update to the iPad, which makes the 10.5" iPad Pro "dated". I am thinking that the next 10.5" iPad Pro will get Face ID, hence new form factor, which will differentiate it from the 2018 iPad, and justify the higher price.

11. shootertwist

I also think the 10.5 ipad pro will get slimmer bezels, but by no means is the current 10.5 ipad pro dated if you are talking about the 9.7 “new” ipad... the 9.7 ipad form factor with its thick bezels are inferior in its screen, ram, promotion, no smart connector, true tone, faster processor and graphics, quad speakers, 12 megapixel camera to name a few... all the new ipad does is offer a cheaper price, which is great for those on a budget, and for casual users who dont multi-task that much, definitely a great buy for kids, it was afterall targetted at students. I have seen mockups of what a slimmed down ipad pro would look like with face id and that will surely make the current 10.5 dated, but not the 9.7, which is basically an ipad air introduced five years ago... it has been that long na pala talaga, gotta hand it to apple they sure know how to recycle their design hehe

12. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

Anyone noticed a slight price bump in apple ph website for the new iPad (2018) by 2k? Maybe due to the increase in the foreign exchange rate between USD over PHP.

13. levijones

levijones Member

^^ I didn't notice before I read your post.. that's disappointing. A bit too much (10% jump over previous model) if only to cover the FX rate.

14. ice

mokmoki likes this.
  15. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

Apple just introduced a new iPad aimed at teachers and students — take a look

businessinsider.com

Apple's latest iPad may be boring, but it's the perfect tablet for most people

businessinsider.com

16. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

any idea when this model will be available in our local stores?

17. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

From Apple's Newsroom:

mokmoki likes this.
  18. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

I used the the 2018 iPad and it's pretty good. It's selling at $329 in Texas. The 2017 iPad on the other hand was being pushed for $249.

No pricing from BTB as of today.

19. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

20. suigeneris

suigeneris Well-Known Member

Got one from my friendly neighborhood GH seller. 128gb Space Gray and then got an apple pencil.

The last iPod I held was a Mini 3 and iOS 10 so it's a little jarring how the swipe gestures have changed with the multi tasking and split apps and the window thing. Haha

Apple pencil works well . Can't wait to do some sketches and painting. As for promotion, laminated screen and high res, to be honest since I have not used a Pro model before, the iPad 2018 is okay for my usage .

I was choosing between this and a 2nd hand iPad Pro 9.7 but decided to get the iPad 2018 instead. Based on tech reviews, the 2018 processor is better than the 9.7 iPad Pro .