The Investment Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by lerwinchristan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. b0gni

b0gni Member

Converge is doing well recently. Looking into buying some shares for a long term position since I see this as a growth stock, with the work-from-home/study-from-home setups becoming a long term plan for some companies/schools.

I'm holding on to ACEN and PHA for now. I can see these companies being growth stocks as well - the first due to the trend of renewable energy, especially with the 'Biden effect;' the second one because of the potential of Squidpay to rival GCash/Paymaya in the Philippines.

Also on the lookout for stocks which will greatly benefit from the rollout of the vaccine (whichever one will be approved).

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

My GTW 21.xx/share was 0.30/share too expensive. :( Wanted to buy it when it dropped below 17.xx/share

Was able to auto sell AREIT at 33.90/share

#922 King, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    raypin likes this.
  3. pepe

pepe Member

Just saw this today and I’d like to comment on why this scenario is unlikely to pan out in real life. Daily trading for DD averages at just above 3 M shrs. If you’re buying 2,768,000 shrs at market price, you will undoubtedly trigger an increase in the price per share, because those shares you are buying are a significant chunk of the day’s trading volume. The price will shoot up as the day goes by, and by the time you get all of your desired shares, you will have paid more than 10 M pesos for them, possibly 10x or more. If, on the other hand, you set a limit price of 3.60 pesos/shr, you will most likely end up with only a few thousand shrs and not the 2.768 M that you set out to buy.

The opposite is true if you try to sell millions of shrs at an initially high price. The price per shr will drop like a rock. It’s all about supply and demand. In order to buy or sell at a certain price, there must be someone out there willing to sell or buy, respectively, at that price.

ericb and potpot2 like this.
  4. King

I indicated the time span on when the shares would be bought. And consider the average trades being made back in 2014 & 2016 differ from 2021.

• Buying 2.8 million $DD shares at 3.60/share over 20 trading days of April is doable would not be noticed by a lot of people. That's more or less 140 thousand shares per trading day.
    • Selling 2.8 million $DD shares at around 70/share for 2 days when people were in a frenzy to buy.
    • 15 million $HVN shares over 20 trading days of November. That's more or less 750 thousand shares per trading day.
    • Unloading 15 million $HVN shares at around 450/share over 250 trading days of 2019. That's more or less 60 thousand shares per day.
    These are thought experiments of someone with more time than sense ;)

#924 King, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  5. pepe

pepe Member

LOL! Thanks for the clarification, King. It makes a little more sense to me now, although I think some of the assumptions may be debatable. Anyway, as a thought experiment, it’s very interesting, so keep them coming.

6. King

It also works if you sell it at minimum allowable increments like 1,000 shares at 0.01 increasing increments and using more than one brokerage platform.

What you need to keep unknown is from wile day traders who try to squeeze every possible penny from you

7. pepe

pepe Member

The best way to move millions of stocks without spooking the market is by way of block trading or block sale, which is essentially a pre-negotiated transaction made outside of the open market but through the facilities of the exchange, between you and another investor (which may be institutional) through an investment firm that knows how to handle these things. I believe this is how multibillionaires liquidate some of their company stock holdings if they need a billion or so to fund a new project or whatever and not affect the market in the process. A block transaction is 20M pesos minimum though and has to be preapproved by PSE. I think doing it yourself by breaking your holdings into 1000 shrs would be a long process and might not guarantee a good price.

Theus likes this.
  8. King

Thanks for the insight. But the problem with going through your route is that bulk buyers tend to ask for discount and not follow market price.

I am trying to cash in on greed like today. I was able to sell NIKL at 6.40/share when I got it for nearly 1.40/share. Waiting for NIKL to crash to 3/share then buy again

9. King

Proceeds from NIKL was used to buy FNI at 2.75/share. Closing was 2.93/share. Hoping Friday trading will push it up to 4/share so I can unload.

raypin likes this.
  10. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

stocks are down, and there are fear of recession in the U.S coupled with rising bond yield. is it better to liquidate and stay in cash position or hold your stock portfolio ?

11. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Member

12. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

13. King

How about now?

Anyone got DDMP REIT? Ordered 3m shares and only got 0.9m. :mad:

14. jon1432000

jon1432000 Member

he he cash out last week when btc and eth got to ATH, bought some again in recent days. waiting for that "spike" again.

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...DDMP reit (I did not subscribe) popped up a bit at debut but is down very slightly from its IPO price. I credit that to poor market conditions related to Covid. DDMP performed better than the first REIT, AREIT of Ayala went down as much as 20% a few trading days after debut....BUT has since performed much better or is well above its IPO price. I will probably buy DDMP as soon as the latest GDP figures are revealed this April to see what kind of damage Covid measures continues to wreak on the economy.

PSE will probably to continue to perform sideways, or if Covid handling continues to turn from bad to worse, index will crash to below 6000. Long term (at least 5 years), I continue to be optimistic. Malalagpasan natin ito. Slowly but regularly adding MEG, which has been a moneymaker for me ever since (from way back).

16. King

Smart people would have exited the market before EDSA. :ROFLMAO:

17. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

We're still clearly on a downtrend since hitting our peak in January. Who's got their money on the PSEi going below 6,000?

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm… waiting for the downfall. Buying opportunity.

Sir iAco likes this.
  19. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

20. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Del Monte Philippines Files for One of Country’s Biggest IPOs | Bloomberg