The Investment Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by lerwinchristan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Was late for the DITO & MM party but I expect them to perform very well within the next 2 years. Telco & supermarket yan.

What I am particularly proud about is MWC bought at 12.28/share and it's now 14.82/share after 14 days.

Should I sell at 20% or wait it out until it hits near it's 25.65/share 52 week high? Getting a 109% return?

pels_17 and raypin like this.
  2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

What do guys think of ConvergeICT’s IPO. Worth a play?

3. b0gni

b0gni Member

Good to hear! Got to load some NIKL as well. Good performance the past 2 trading days from NIKL and FNI.

Got out of DITO and MM before they went down. Especially DITO, once I heard that the July 8 schedule won't push through, immediately unloaded my positions. Although I'm eye-ing a return to DITO if my personal indicators align.

I'm considering selling some stocks before the next quarantine announcement. There is a big jump in the official daily reported cases the past 2 days. If ECQ returns, at least I'll have some cash to buy a potential dip, or just keep it on hand.

4. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Honestly, I dont think there’s a plan to do another lockdown, probably just localized lockdowns here and there. It’s the 2nd quarter earnings report that Im worried about.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...2k cases per day today, highest ever and 11 MM hospitals can no longer accept patients. San mapupunta overflow? Home quarantine? More and more cases. It is runaway phase. Even without an official lockdown, consumers will continue to be fearful and stay at home. More bad news for many companies. So, PSE will?????

I ve slowly added by buying the dips and avoided short term trading. I ll just wait 3 to 5 years before harvesting the profits. Less stress. Probably buy some more sometime this year and 2021.

Looking for stocks with 30 to 50% off the 52 week high as a minimum range. If it dips below my cost, I m not going to worry a bit.

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  6. docjbr

Exactly. I look at the 52 week low or the March 16 dip.

raypin likes this.
  7. King

Send the patients to outside of NCR. There are quality hospitals in Tagaytay and Laguna.

8. King

I'm getting as much as they allow me. I've been dealing with ISPs for the past 2 years and I've seen how slow/fast they complete new subscription work orders.

I also noticed why TEL's share price has been plummeting for the past 5 years. From a 5 year high of 2,985 to today's 1,312. It's largely because of capital expenditure to service the demand. Covid forced the demand further as WFH becomes the norm.

A friend is cautious as he wonders if it is a good investment to put money in a 3rd player.

Some say 24/share is a tad too expensive.

9. raypin

Mm...daming papalag. That is the major problem. While the DOH stats shows the nationwide hospital capacity to handle covid is around 40% palang, there is a mismatch between capacity and demand. Cebu is near capacity na while Palawan has plenty.

Btt, locally, I am not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel so equity investment remains risk-elevated. The upcoming financial quarters will be more of the same: bad financials. It is hard to remain optimistic in the short-term. On the other hand, staying on the sidelines means you are losing money or not making any. So, I am splitting the portfolio between cash and equities. A conservative 10 to 20% equity position is where I am at. I ve tried to time the markets. Hard to do. High volatility/high beta makes day trading treacherous. Lol!

pels_17 likes this.
  10. King

Smart ones will look for a solution rather than a confrontation.

There's speculations that another lockdown will happen. I hope to unload all my newly bought stocks before that happens.

I missed out on the fire sale during the first week of lockdown.

A lot of companies dropped their share price by over half and have since inched back to its original value.

Their business is sound but supply chain breakdown messed their economic activites.

Imagine buying blue chips at less than half their pre-lockdown price. If you have 60m to buy in the first week of lockdown you could have had 120m in stocks by today.

Liquidate said stocks then buy pre-selling commercial properties at high traffic intersections near present/future stations. 1 year from now when they turn it over business will be back to normal and you can charge generous rent fees for Starbucks/Jolibee

Who would not want to have 1m/week in rent revenue? That in turn can fuel more purchases

antski and raypin like this.
  11. King

Is this a form of "credit card churning"?

And is it cheaper than traditional short term lending?

You use your credit card to load 100,000 of credits onto PayMaya/GCash.

You will get charged 300 processing/app fee

Your credit card bill will be 100,300.

You have a larger credit card limit at 700,000

So you load another 110,000.

That's additional charge of 330

You continue to add credit until you reach 700,000.

Buying load is not treated as a cash advance and it gives you credit card points.

You can pay payroll, vendors, govt fees.

It's like using your credit card to pay for itself.

At P30 per 10k every 30 days.

12. docjbr

Did you attach a picture? I can't seem to see it.

13. King

No attachment was made

14. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

This works before but Paymaya and GCash already patch this one.

You can try other banks credit card maybe it will work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Philippines/comments/fumm0h/cash_in_on_paymaya_or_gcash_using_credit_card/

#834 wingatu, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  15. raypin

#835 raypin, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  16. ginomatic

ginomatic Active Member

17. King

MECQ happened.

PSEi went down

What stocks to buy?

18. b0gni

b0gni Member

For the next 2 weeks, I'm leaning towards stocks unaffected by the MECQ. Holding on to my positions in Mining and consumer goods related companies.

I'm thinking of buying MAC stocks before the ex-div date. But, I'm not familiar how stock dividends work.

On ex-div date, will the price of the stock automatically be lowered by 20%, or will the market still determine the price? In case there is no automatic lowering of the stock price on ex-div date, will there be one during payment date?

19. b0gni

b0gni Member

To answer my own question, MAC stocks were automatically lowered today to 4.67 from a previous 5.60 close. Based from what I read online, the new price during the ex-div date was computed as 5.60 / 120%.

As an additional note, historical data for the MAC stock will now list the stock price yesterday as 4.67 (i.e. the 5.60 will not be listed anymore for future reference). Stock prices on prior dates might also be adjusted proportionately.

20. King

Really weird that the #2 nickle mining company $FNI declared profitability last July 1 and the stock price just increased last Monday 24 August.

I was able to buy a lot of shares at 1.09 on Friday then on Monday the stock prices started climbing like crazy to over 15% yesterday. Hopefully it pushes up further to say 77% like $NIKL.

I wish I liquidated all my shares and other assets by December and put it all into $APX at below 0.60/share then unload at above 1.70/share. Would have made about 300% in 5 months.

Better performance than FAANG

kenobiz and raypin like this.