The Investment Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by lerwinchristan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

I am taking a beating

2. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Same same. Kind of make me rethink of investing "long-term" in PSE and slowly shift to day trading, but day-trading is too hectic for my current schedule. That's why I'm looking to try trading/investing in NYSE instead.

Theus likes this.
  3. antski

antski Well-Known Member

time to check on bargain blue chips..

4. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I think I'll wait a few more days, and watch the US. Once the freewill there ceases, maybe I'll catch on to this one. Still wondering if we're going to hit 6,000 or below (to think, 2 years ago, we were past 9000, with the optimism of hitting 10,000...)

BDO a few months ago was just 110, hits somewhere between 160-170 (too tamad to check now), now hovering a bit below 140

5. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...tempting to buy the big dips but the question is has the bear market pricing fully reflects the economic impact of the virus?

Like to nibble once the PSE reaches 5000 and then peso cost averaging if it goes down further.

Best case scenario: this will not be a long-term downturn. V shaped recovery by end of the year?

7. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

wag ganyan sir, sub 5000 might wipe me out! :cry: Yes tempting to buy but I’ve decided to wait 2 more weeks (y)

raypin likes this.
  8. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Was about to avail of a medium-risk bonds offering from BPI, but now I'm wondering if things will be looking up less than two years from now.

9. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

The index is already trading below key moving averages in higher time frames (weekly, monthly) + broke down major support levels at 6.5k - 6.8k.

My thesis is that we're already transitioning into a long term bearish market cycle (even more dead cat bounces/ lower lows/highs) especially if it breaks down 6k in the next few weeks.

10. raypin

Mmm...BPI and other blue chips will survive this so debt issuances (corporate bonds) are a solid bet. It is still a good hedge against inflation. I expect the BSP to lower the benchmark interest rates to stimulate consumer as I see no inflationary pressure so it is a good move to put some of your money on bonds and lock in the rates now. If you have more risk appetite, go for the corporate bonds issued by tier 2 corporations.

If you look at the long bonds in the US (10 year treasury), it is CRATERING. Really bad, bad news for US banks but good news for home mortgage rates. New and existing homeowners or buyers there will get a windfall (first time and refinance). It is real money in the pocket of US homeowners. Who can say no to 3% interest rate or less on fixed rate home mortgages?

11. raypin

Mm...oh wow. Trading halt in Wall Street. Circuit breakers. It is a shitstorm there.

A2B8E18B-1DCE-48CC-AADB-2385927550D7.jpeg

12. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Went panic buying scooping up blue chips

greta87 and raypin like this.
  13. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

New trading hours for the upcoming weeks.

Attached Files:

raypin likes this.
  14. raypin

Mm....PSEi below the 5k mark (March 9 post) that I said will whet my appetite for taking in risk asset. Patikimtikim muna because no one knows when this will bottom. But I m thinking this is just too good an opportunity to pass. So, a bit of this and a bit of that. In time, this too shall pass.

Looking at Megaworld, Ayala, SM and BDO. Maybe next week.

Time to put just a teensy bit money to work and buy more when the index falls further.

During the 2008 to 2009 financial crisis, Megaworld traded at below par value. I bought a lot at around 0.90 per. When the market bounced back, I sold at 2.50. Not bad. This feels exactly like that situation. Buy and hold. This will more than make up for any lost revenues during covid. My working assumption is the markets will bounce back strong once a proven vaccine is released (20 plus are being rapidly developed). That will be the major inflection point.

#794 raypin, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Theus likes this.
  15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

not for the faint of heart :barefoot:

C8D71DF0-B6F2-4751-85B7-946D6EF8B2C7.jpeg

wife’s faring slightly better with her portfolio (y)

greta87 and raypin like this.
  16. raypin

Mmm....been there. This was way before covid. Atlas Mining at 80% loss. Watched it go down the drain after a certain lady with a certain advocacy came into power and basically destroyed the mining industry. Still have those shares. Company, 1/3rd owned by SM, is still intact. What they have (copper) will eventually be used by the world.

#796 raypin, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  17. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

unless those companies completely fold, you should be in good shape. just hang in there.

raypin likes this.
  18. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry friends, this was the closest thread I could think of to field my question:

Apart from wiring money physically from my bank branch (definitely not an option right now), what is the best, if not my only option for sending say CAD to a CAD account in the Philippines? Basically, is there such a service that provides same currency transfers or transfers in your currency of choice?

Reason is, I have a CAD and JPY account back there and I was hoping to stave off dormancy if I can via a remote transfer. Western Union does not do it unless my PHP account is in USD so WU is out of the question. Thanks in advance for your sage advice. Thinking of our resident dynamic duo here, @hitme64 and @raypin . Hi guys!

19. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

Hi guys sorry i just saw this thread and would like to try my hand investing on stocks. Can someone point me to the right direction and whats the minimum capital that i can invest. Newbie question but any input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

20. raypin

Mm...difficult but you can ask your bank to do it for you. Maybe debit your account. Or through a relative.

#800 raypin, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    pochiman likes this.