The Investment Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by lerwinchristan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

I got ~13% tsupit in less than a month recently and is hoping to buy again when it goes down to my buying price of around P30

Theus likes this.
  2. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Same here, went on a shopping spree when it was at 32, and bought some more at 31.5. I have no idea about technical analysis, I use panggapanalysis, but they've always been at this level around Chinese New Year, and then go up within 1-3 months after.

3. 11Finger

11Finger Member

hey guys, new to this thread but have been investing for quite a bit mostly in technology stocks. Anyway, I'm thinking of investing into some REIT and Technology ETF's (US based), though I currently have a TD Ameritrade account I am hesitant to use this as I'd like to diversify the accounts I use to minimize risk - especially since I live here in the Philippines, if anything were to happen to Ameritrade (knock on wood) would have a difficult time to coordinate any needed actions remotely. Also wire transfers are a bit of a hassle and carries some fees.

So my question is, is there a local equivalent which would allow me to invest in the mentioned ETF's ? Would I be able to do that with COL ? If yes, are there significant differences from a fee's perspective vs an online broker like Ameritrade ? Thanks...

4. 11Finger

11Finger Member

BTW read on this thread that MF's are tax free vs UITF which is taxable. Is this true ? As I read both are non tax. I have UITF's though haven't redeemed any, has anyone had experience redeeming ? If so were you taxed on the capital appreciation ?

5. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

NOW has sadly retraced back to Php 7.00 per share. Managed to sell my remaining NOW at Php 11.00. Should have sold it at 13 when i had a chance. Was hoping it could have sustained its resistance level at Php 13.00.

Market is now speculated for a downtrend to 7900.

It might really be a March Madness..

6. docjbr

It bounced back to 10.10 though. Lots made quick money on a day trade, gobbled it up at 7, then sold at 9.50 - 10.00. Was luck enough to jump in at 6 (though my friends got in at 3). At that time, I was wondering if I was too late, but then it balloned in a span of 2 weeks, got to sell it (but not at the 18-20 mark). Still a good sell. Lots of NOW bashing, really hard to know when to ride that roller coaster (like MRC, LR, LRW, CHP, TBGI).

If it goes down, and I mean down to 7500, will be stocking up on blue chips. I'm just an observer for now, trying to gain some more buying power.

iSk8er likes this.
  7. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

That’s nice doc! Unfortunately, i was too pre occuppied with my days work that i wasn’t able to snatch that 7.75 lowest of NOW and re-sell it at 9-10. It’s so hard to juggle both. But i really do love analyzing the market now, i am so hooked into it. Hehe

8. docjbr

Wait, I got in at 6 back in February pa, LOL. But yes, it's nice to do some hula-nalysis, but it does also mean you have to make time for it :)

iSk8er likes this.
  9. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

It is kinda of an adrenaline rush trying hula-nalysis NOW as it still has a strong support at Php 7.00, watching the LR & LRW too. Kinda tempting for SBS, PXP as it has been somewhat strong despire the red market happening. Any insights on SBS, PXP? :)

10. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

Market suddenly closed at 8,124.45 level. A huge gain from the opening of 7,900 level. But most of the analysts projects a downtrend. Is this a trap? Hehe

11. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

Anyone here who uses First Metro Sec. as their broker and/or trading platform?

12. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

down please. just got work bonuses, what better way to 'spend' than to top-up our blue chips. yup, i'm a boring investor :sleep:

13. docjbr

Same here. How down is down. Will go shopping around the 7,800 mark, moreso if it hits the 7500 mark.

So EW is giving out dividends tomorrow, and the stock is estimated to take a hit after. Anyone here that buys into stocks after it falls after giving out dividends? EW seems to be a pretty secure bank. Thoughts?

14. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

extremeshot likes this.
  15. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Bloody red for the PSEi today. How are your portfolios holding up?

I was able to exit PXP just in the nick of time today and was able to salvage some profit but my other stocks, not so much.

16. extremeshot

17. docjbr

REEEEEEEDDDDDD!

But you know what they say, when it's down, it's the best time to buy! What are you guys looking at?

1. Blue chip stocks that are on sale?
    2. Second-tier stocks ready for a breaking out?
    3. Basura stocks, time to shine?

iSk8er likes this.
  18. extremeshot

With the possibility of the PSEi dropping to as low as 7200, we should get used to a bloody couple of months :p. I think it will just be great if we can approximate when the market has bottomed coz by then, I'll try to load up on blue chips (using my long-term fund allocation). I have a small "tsupit" fund that I'm playing with when most people say that now is not the time to be brave. I'm just treating that as my tuition fee in the school of stock trading haha....

19. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

This is my first bearish market as a trader and I'm sitting it out mostly so far. No trades yet since this semester started since it's really been mostly bounce and reversal plays, which I can't monitor that much while in class :ROFLMAO:

C'mon bulls show yourselves!!

20. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

The PSEi has plunged to its 19 month low. I lost a huge amount already both in my ColFi stocks and mutual funds. :( Maybe I should have just placed them in the bank.

Good thing the US company I work for gives us stock options. Otherwise, my retirement fund would be going down the drain.