The Investment Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by lerwinchristan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

What sites do you guys use for general chatter about recommended stock picks, etc? I mainly trade crypto, but I do have money in the traditional market that I'm thinking of playing with since my current holdings are pretty stagnant.

2. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

It became Feb 22, but Mel Velarde just said Duterte renewed their franchise. Let’s see what happens NOW

3. docjbr

Took in profits with NOW, sold my MRC when it hit 0.80. A recent article posted today on Bloomberg is re-stating penny stocks making a push, behind Duterte's lead. Read and article that February has always gone down a bit, with a resurgence usually seen in March. Muggers, who are your picks for "March Madness"? (y)

iSk8er likes this.
  4. glennba27

glennba27 Active Member

Still betting on 3rd telco-related stocks. :p Still holding NOW, TBGI, MRC and HVN. Last Tuesday, bought ECP @32.50 then sold it yesterday at 40 when it started to show weakness. If only I knew it would hit the ceiling. But I've no regrets, I knew it was just tsupita play when I bought it.

Congrats on your profits doc! :)

iSk8er likes this.
  5. docjbr

I still have HVN and TBGI, and some of NOW lang. The MRC is the one that I completely sold off, double. Sa NOW kasi, I got greedy, I wanted quadruple, should've let got at triple, ended up getting some at more than double lang :ROFLMAO: Yeah, ECP at the 50 range, kinda smelled that since it was part of the article din, though was hoping it would move TBGI, haha. Cayetano's comments though will definitely help PXP a bit(y)

6. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi investors! I'm not actually new to investing since I have a fair bit of investments for years (UITF - bond/balanced/and equities, MF, VUL, real estate) but I have never tried stocks directly because of time constraints. Now I feel I want to invest (pun intended) some time into trying out stocks. I'm in it for the long term but I obviously don't want to get too excited as I learn the ropes.

So to the seasoned stock investors here, I just have a few questions:

1. A couple of friends have recommended COL but back-reading a bit here, there seems to be some preference to other stock brokers (because COL puts a cap on oversubscribing or something?). I also subscribe my UITFs from BPI so I already have a settlement account with them. Having said these, would you recommend COL as my first ever stock broker or does BPI make more sense (my payroll account is also BPI)? I'm not going to put a lot of money to start - maybe 100k or less and increase gradually as I get more confident.

2. Do you nominate your bank of choice as your settlement account with COL and if yes, do certain banks have an advantage in terms of processing settlements quicker?

3. If I go the COL route, is there a real benefit going from COL Starter to COL Plus thinking that I won't do daily trading?

I still have lots of questions on my mind but these will do for now. thanks!

7. docjbr

I'm definitely not seasoned, new just like you, but will try to give my input.

COL seems to be the most popular, but it was the first to bog down during the NOW rush a few weeks ago. So some got stuck at the high unfortunately.

You get to pick. I chose BDO since it has a branch at the ground floor where I work so it was easier. In your case, it's attached to your payroll. Depends on your discipline, some would like that since it's easier to trasnfer to your investment, some naman like to separate their investments from the their main account. (I have 4, BDO as my main, Security Bank as income, BPI for credit cards, Union Bank as my emergency). But BDO for me is pretty reliable. They have their own ones, too, by the way.

This part, will let others chime in. Good luck! Cheers!

extremeshot likes this.
  8. extremeshot

Thanks for the feedback doc! Ok, so it seems like I can use the same BPI settlement account (this is separate from my payroll account) if I go the COL route. I have actually already filled up the COL forms and ready to submit but wanted to know a bit more before I do LOL. Hoping for more feedback. Thanks!

9. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

I'm a COL investor and use their EIP (Easy Investment Program). Basically, you choose a stock and determine how much you want to invest in it for a certain frequency and duration. For example, you buy Globe stocks and put 5000 pesos monthly for 1 year. What's good in the program is that the risk is balanced since there are highs and lows in a year for example. On the average, if the market is good, you'll have gains in the approach. Haven't invested on newer stocks and preferred more stable options like Ayala Land or Jollibee for EIP. Just be patient when you start in the local stocks, you'll see your gains when you wait.

extremeshot likes this.
  10. extremeshot

Thanks! Does EIP also require you to open a COL Starter or COL Plus account or it's a separate COL account/product all together?

11. glennba27

glennba27 Active Member

Yes to COL as their research is really good. Their model portfolio is very useful to newbie investors (it will tell you the buy below price and target price for selected stocks). They also provide free fundamental and technical analysis trainings, tools that will help you develop your trading skills. Yes, occassionally their system slows down whenever there is an unexpected surge in transactions, but in general, their system is stable (compared to BPI Trade and BDO Nomura a couple of months/years ago). Using COL since 2007 (they were called Citisec Online back then).

You can nominate your preferred bank. As to faster processing of withdrawals, no difference really. When you sell a stock, you can withdraw the proceeds after 3 days. The money will be credited to your account on the next day.

Since you plan to invest 100k, apply for COL Plus directly (i think even if you open COL Starter, if your total equity reaches 25k, you will see a notification that allows you to upgrade to Plus). Nothing wrong with having access to tools you won't be using for now. :)

Good luck sir! :)

extremeshot likes this.
  12. extremeshot

Thank you! Looks like I'll be submitting my application forms to COL this week :)!

I have already signed up for a 7-day COL trial but the site has a lot of clutter (i.e. information) to process at this point. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of reading/exploring. Thanks again!

13. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

Anyone here holding on to SGP? Wondering why its stock price is now sky rocketing? i can't find any news regarding its businesses. Is it too late to invest on it now? thanks in advance for the inputs.

14. docjbr

All I can do now is watch. I just sent a message to several friends asking what's happening, and if they have any info.

March 2 P175
    March 5 P394
    March 6 P585
    March 7 now hovering at P800

With nothing behind it, it's kinda hard to fathom the sudden increase, without any fundamental reason. Quadruple your money in 5 days? Damn. But kinda scary now to ride it, in history, it's done this before, and a lot got stuck with huge losses. I tried that with HVN, got on at the second peak, but threw it after a small gain, my heart couldn't take the risk. In the end, I realized it wasn't worth it, investing a big amount for a small gain (what I did), but if you had the chance to ride it at it's lowest, it would've been awesome. But for now, the jockeys have already placed themselves in the lead, kinda scary at this point.

glennba27 and iSk8er like this.
  15. extremeshot

iSk8er likes this.
  16. docjbr

And Coyuito, too. Telecom and power, NOW definitely in play (pun intended) LOL.

Sold the remaining few NOW shares that were left behind, when it hit 15.2. Just now have small amount of TBGI left among my second tier stocks.

Everything's just fine with most of my blue chips, but Double Dragon is going down. Read some analysis, about unrealized gain and their core net income. Any of you guys with an opinion on this?

iSk8er likes this.
  17. docjbr

Whatever happened to Xurpas? From a high of 19.24 in 2016, now down to 3.60.

Former, yes former (LOL) friend is a founder. I remember congratulating him back then.

iSk8er likes this.
  18. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

I was also eye-ing for Double Dragon but luckily a friend told me to hold off from doing so coz it was over hyped and over speculated. And it wasn’t able to hold and/or break the Php 40.00 target of mine. But that is just me and my two cents.

19. extremeshot

My COL account just got activated today - Yessss! I also tried to transfer funds from BPI Online to COL and it got credited to my COL account in less than an hour. Not bad at all :). Now it gets real :p.

lsalapare, docjbr and iSk8er like this.
  20. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

With the impending closure of Boracay their 1st Mall maybe in trouble.

iSk8er likes this.