The iMac with Retina 5K Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johannes, Oct 17, 2014.

1. christopher

christopher Member

@ryan
    is the screen density actually lower for the retina iMac? like font looks bigger? That's one of the problems I had with the old 27". fonts are too small for my test.

I could say the sweet spot for me is the normal font / menu / tab size of a 15" mbp retina.

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Subjectively speaking, I have a regular 27 at my office and the retina 27 at home and despite of the sharper and smoother looking text - size of the screen elements seems....the same to me. The old iMac is 2560 X1440 and the new retina iMac native res is 5120 X 2880 but made to look like 2560 X 1440. So if you are uncomfortable with the old 27, I'm not sure you will be comfortable with the retina iMac.

You are right, the retina MBP's UI elements seem larger because despite of its 2880 by 1800 native res, it still mimics a 1440 x 900 res desktop so it is easier on the eyes. :(

#62 Salaryman Ryan, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. christopher

christopher Member

oh well thanks for the feedback, I actually found a store that has the iMac retina not sure if its placebo but it font size looks fine. However my last iMac was on Lion could it be Yosemite has some kind of resolution independence where it automatically scales fonts / menus and icon to a readable size? Like what windows 8 does on high dpi screens?

4. happosai

happosai Member

[​IMG]
    ^^ HiRise Toast for iMac is a hot new iMac stand with a built-in toaster oven. HiRise Toast elevates your iMac to a more ergonomic viewing height and can toast bread, bagels or heat up Hot Pockets and frozen dinners. Never miss a meal because of a deadline again. Cook breakfast, lunch or dinner right at your desk, inches from your keyboard. The 1800-watt, built-in toaster oven has 12 pre-sets, a non-stick rack and ample insulation to protect your desk and iMac from oven heat. Enjoy less neck strain and fewer hunger pains with HiRise Toast. Order your HiRise Toast today and receive a free Twelve South oven mitt.
    Source: https://www.twelvesouth.com/hirisetoast

5. Salaryman Ryan

Oh come on, Twelvesouth that was too obvious. :)

6. Salaryman Ryan

7. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

8K iMacs? Sweeeeeeeet. That will probably my upgrade in a couple of years to come.. If true. :)

8. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Now that's something to look forward to! When I read that the 5K model of the iMac only had a 27-inch display I was "meh". I hope the 8K iMac has display as large as say 40-inch. :)

9. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

^ I saw this on my facebook feed last night and I was like "buti hindi pako nakakabili ng 5K Retina iMac" :)

10. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

I'm betting Apple is going to transition its iMac line to retina display first before jumping into 8K.

11. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

or they could do it all at the same time...

Top of the Line - 8K
    the rest - 5K

12. yoh_hectic

Apple will do the transition once it is cost effective and the yields and time table meet their requirements. I waited months for my iMac and I doubt a supply chain guy like Tim Cook think it is a disgrace to have customers like me wait months for their units.

13. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Ordered a custom 27" non-retina iMac (core i7 and 4GB GPU upgrade) a month ago from the Apple online store for business. Got this email from Apple this morning:

Thank you for your recent iMac order. We know you’re looking forward to receiving your purchase.
    As you may know, Apple recently announced the new iMac. Since your order has not dispatched, we have automatically upgraded you to the new iMac.
    For the most up-to-date information about your order, please visit online Order Status.
    Thank you for choosing Apple.
    Apple Store

Sweet! Retina upgrade for free! Thank you Apple! :D

14. yoh_hectic

Nice of them to do that.

Take note that the $200 price cut to the top end model appears to not been applied for the Apple Store PH page. It is still selling for $2,400 + 12% VAT

15. Sleepdoc

Sleepdoc Well-Known Member

I'm upgrading my 21" iMac to a 27" Retina. I was wondering if any of you guys know if Charlie and his BTB still offers Philmuggers the usual 10% off on cash purchases. TIA.

16. yoh_hectic

17. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

got my 27" retine 5k iMac two months ago, and I have no regrets!

On hindsight it would have been better to have used another vehicle. I guess I was too excited when they called to inform me it was ready for pick up.

Attached Files:

rabby, awdgsr and Sunil_K like this.
  18. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Have you guys ever purchased a mac (be it imac or laptop) from adorama? The prices are good! Just wondering if its alright to purchase from there.

Ex rMB 1.3 8gb 512ssd is $1549
    iMac is 80$ cheaper plus with freebies.

19. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

20. jazon_pogi

jazon_pogi Active Member

this is really stunning!!! gorgeous!!!