The iMac with Retina 5K Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johannes, Oct 17, 2014.

1. jacen29

jacen29 Member

Sakit sa bulsa nyan sir

2. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

I wonder if there will be smoking/smudging issues with this model?

3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Hopefully Apple has sorted this issue out by now. Just placed an order of a BTO Retina 5K Mac. Big upgrade for me since my main machine is a 2011 17 inch Macbook Pro. I'll post a detailed review once I get my hands dirty on it :)

4. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Good observation. Probably made more sense for Apple to add 5K to the iMac first since it has larger market share and sales. The new black Mac Pro actually has problems with 4K resolutions like tearing or stuttering. And Apple's engineers would also need to keep in mind the 6 Thunderbolt ports limitations at the New Mac Pro. The 6 TB ports are grouped into 3 buses. Like if you want to use 2-3 monitors, each monitor will have to be connected on separate buses.

Edit: originally my post included links from Apple discussion forum to verify the problems mentioned but my posting gets blocked when those links were included. Thanks

#24 MacSonic 779, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. Salaryman Ryan

I don't follow tech as I used to but according to Ryan Smith of Anandtech.com, the 5K display is so new that Apple had make their own customised hardware to drive this monster pixel display at a good 60Hz refresh rate. I don't understand all the techno babble completely but from what I understand (or misunderstood, haha) the current thunderbolt ports might have problems driving 5K monitors. According to sources like Macrumors the next gen of Macs will soon have thunderbolt 3 that should be able to smoothly run these dense 5K monitors.

6. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Went to Apple Store last night and was able to play with this a little longer than before. I even had the chance to load true 4K vids from YouTube and the experience is pure euphoria! It is pure s3x, bar none.

I tried opening full HD vids too and clicked the maximized button, but the upscaled footage isn't nice anymore.

True to what they say, it's like upgrading from 3GS to iPhone 4's retina display, or from a normal macbook to a retina Macbook.

I guess I had to do a bit of number crunching so I can get one in Spring :)

7. leeyone

leeyone New Member

I had some time to play with the 5K Retina yesterday and I think I might upgrade to it after all. :)

8. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

It's here? I've reserved mine but I still haven't had any call from them

9. Salaryman Ryan

I was given three to four weeks wait for my BTO Retina iMac to arrive. With the huge demand around the world, I'm already adjusting my expectations that it might arrive much later then the given ETA.

10. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Was able to play with the 5K at BTB RP. Really cool graphics. I watched YouTube side by side with a regular 27" iMac. Very impressive. Sad thing is..... Out of stock

11. gondolin

gondolin Member

Anyone ordered the baseline retina imac? I'm curious of its real world performance. Mostly kasi nakikita ko maxed out specs.

12. sandybridge_guy

Is there a world difference felt when using a Fusion Drive compared to a regular SSD?

Because when buying an iMac 5K Retina online you have the option of selecting 1tb fusion drive or 256gb SSD that's why I ask.

Anybody?

13. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Hopefully I can bring home mine today...

14. DinoJ

DinoJ Member

For us average users, is this 5K retina display a big deal? Is the display difference really discernable?

15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Played with one (mall display) and yes the screen is awesome especially when playing 4K videos from YouTube.

Other than YouTube, I honestly don't know where to get 4K content. (you also need to check if your internet connection can handle 4K streaming)

IMO, I'll buy a Retina Display iMac when I don't have a choice but to buy one :)

16. sandybridge_guy

Yes, it is very discernable. Its like using an iPhone 3g for the longest time then suddenly switching to an iPhone 4.

As for the average users' use, you can maximize the 5K display if you watch 4K videos most of the time, and use image editing software like Photoshop - which is I think the best part for me. Also, editing 4K vids doesn't hog all of your screen.

Right now, its really more of a niche product, same as 4K TVs, but as more 4K content (streaming or BluRay discs) comes in, that's the time that people will start considering the iMac Retina and other 4K displays.

17. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I have not seen the 5K in person but I would be keen to get it once OS X drops support of my current iMac.

I am using a 27-inch iMac Core i7 received last February 2013 so I am not in any real rush to replace it.

I would mark it as a "must have" if the screen was a wee bit bigger like 32-inch, 40-inch or 46-inch as I use my current iMac to watch shows and film.

5K is worth it if you're into photos or 4K video. It may be overkill for those who aren't doing such applications.

By the time the new redesigned iMac comes out I am sure all the 3rd party apps would be optimised to use such a fine display.

Be aware that the iMac without 5K display has not been updated since September 2013.

The next iMacs will sport updated Intel chips to be released in a few months time

#37 yoh_hectic, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  18. Salaryman Ryan

A simple way to compare for those who don't have immediate access to a retina iMac demo is to simply go to your nearest local Mac dealer and look the screens of both the retinal Macbook Pro and the Macbook Air. A very noticeable difference.

19. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Finally got my 5K. I am just in awe! The clarity is unbelievable. Downside is.... Watching 4K videos in YouTube irritates me! The buffering..... Grrrr..... Internet not fast enough! [​IMG]

20. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Count yourself lucky that it took you under 3 months to get your iMac. Took me over 3 months in my case. :)

I think your iMac would give you incentive to go fiber with Globe/PLDT.