The iBookstore / iBooks Thread

Discussion in 'iOS & iOS Apps' started by johannes, Apr 14, 2010.

1. makingdots

makingdots Member

You can try doing that on other book (just download any free book) and see for yourself.

2. m3ta1he4d

m3ta1he4d Member

I'm loving iBooks on my iPad2. I have the free book i.e. Aesop's Fables, The Art of War, etc.. :)

3. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i just bought the Art of a Beutiful Game by Chris Ballard. great read so far.

4. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

This is a rather interesting book that I chanced upon at the iBookstore:

Mob Rules: What the Mafia Can Teach the Legitimate Businessman

The author is a former member of the mafia (Gambino family). He served his sentence but never snitched on any of his associates. When he was incarcerated, he said he could barely read. He eventually fell in love with reading, spending practically all of his free time poring over all sorts of books. He even personally reversed one of the cases against him, thanks to his reading. So from a 12-year sentence, he got it reduced to 8 and a half.

When he got out and joined the "legitimate" world, he discovered to his dismay that some of these so-called legitimate folks are actually more wretched than his former associates. :) He also discovered that a lot of the principles that govern his former world can actually be used in the legitimate world. Thus, this book, which is actually not his first.

The author has gone legit since serving his term and he's now a motivational speaker of sorts. It's no Peter Drucker book but it makes an interesting read, nonetheless.

5. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i am looking forward to the Shaq Bio which will be released in November! woohoo!

i have also purchased Bill Simmons Book of Basketball. great book.:)

6. jillsingian

jillsingian Active Member

Clash of Kings by George RR Martin

7. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

how do you guys purchase from the iBooks app? my app only shows the free books and no paid ones.

edit: backreading answered my question, sorry!

8. manager

manager Active Member

can anyone give a comparison between ibooks and kindle ipad app?

am considering getting back into reading and would appreciate some opinions before committing to either ecosystem :)

9. mapa.md12

mapa.md12 Member

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

10. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

For one, the Kindle app gives you access to a wider library of books (Amazon Kindle library).

User Interface-wise, I would prefer iBooks (I find it better in organizing books, PDFs, and book categories). Plus, the iBookstore taps into my iTunes account which means I need just one account for my music, videos, apps, and books. For Kindle, you'll need an Amazon account.

11. philpangandian

philpangandian Active Member

Both apps are free and both have free books, you can check them out. Kindle has wider library, but I use iBooks for my PDF formatted books and magazines.

12. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm reading Rafa, the autobiography of Rafael Nadal, and it's spellbinding. He generously brings us inside his mind. I'm dozens of pages in, and it's been about his pre-match preparations for Wimbledon 2008 and nothing else. The game hasn't even started! Shows you the level of detail to which he takes the reader.

13. mactrix

mactrix Member

my kindle app reader is set reverse background (white text over black). i haven't tinkered with it yet but it's default i suppose. i like ibooks cleaner gui.