The Hong Kong thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by morphine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Joining the escape this Friday for HK (hopefully without airport hitches). Joining my daughter there from their US travel and return home Sunday. Hopefully, no more ash hiccups from Taal will force canceled flights.

Godfather, raypin and ronjet like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm.....in Jordan along Parkes St., Kuma Ramen....delicious ramen, generous toppings....go for the black garlic ramen....tons of umami flavor.

A9F762EE-08F1-4EC8-BFCD-50D86B2E8FCB.jpeg

I ADCD95CA-E336-4715-BD8D-4501CBFE8976.jpeg

(Near the corner of Parkes Street and Austin).

#3542 raypin, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    docjbr, Juice, Sunil_K and 4 others like this.
  3. raypin

Mm...also along Parkes St. just before Pizza Hut, this restaurant serves delicious noodles with fishball, cooked lettuce, awesome tofu and do order the chicken wings:

1C05569B-F416-4283-970D-E295A5AD9F39.jpeg 92EA5805-190E-4B70-81E5-3286D471B895.jpeg

docjbr, Juice, Sunil_K and 3 others like this.
  4. raypin

Mmm....simple food from this noodle shop, along Parkes St., Jordan, adjacent to the Australian Dairy Co. (a Hong Kong institution). The duck-based broth was delicious. Get the beef noodle soup and wonton noodle soup. This resto is included in the Michelin guide for HK street food 3 years in a row:

E96B3034-CBFD-4E06-A4D6-DCD2C4DD85D4.png FAAC8770-AD0C-46C7-9A4B-E1C36008FEC7.jpeg

Went around Temple Street night market in Jordan.....still the worst tourist trap in HK. Restaurant food are tourist-priced.....overpriced and no good. There's one bright spot: Mammy Pancake (egg waffle)....about as good as any egg waffle in HK. Love the lemon smoothie.

HK is dirtier than usual (compared with previous visits). The authorities removed the thousands of the iconic orange trashbins. Apparently, the protesters were using it block roadways or setting it on fire. Now, there's littering everywhere.

#3544 raypin, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Juice, ronjet, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  5. hitme64

Leaving tonight. Be back in a jiffy on Sunday. Bringing my next generation sperm-alike: my grandson. Never mind the food trip. This one is for the house.

ronjet, Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  6. scubadiverdaw

scubadiverdaw Active Member

thanks for the resto guide raypin. that is my main objective when i revisit hongkong next month. eat at the best recommended restos and visit places that are not regular tourist haunts. please feel free to share more restos and places to visit in case you have any other recommendations. thank you.

7. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

+1! Will also be going next month. Been a while since I last visited HK. Thanks for the recos! Keep em coming for us ni @scubadiverdaw !

8. raypin

Mm...always a must-visit for me for the past 8 trips, Hyatt Regency TST, The Cafe dinner buffet....live lobsters cooked a la minute (in 15 minute batches and the thai dipping sauce hits the spot), plump scallops sashimi, pan-fried foie gras and lamb chops.....just consistently good food over the years.

F6417660-6F48-43F9-B978-5E28C2796E0D.jpeg

For value for money all you can order sashimi, grilled mackarel, all you can drinks and Movenpick or Haagen Daz, Daikiya Deluxe in Causeway Bay Plaza 1 very near CWB MTR exit B, Super sulit. Other branches are much smaller.

Both can be reserved through Openrice app.

Shake Shack Ocean Terminal is not as good as Shake Shack Jewel Changi. Don’t know why.

ICremeria still my go-to soft serve ice cream.

#3548 raypin, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    wulf, docjbr, Juice and 4 others like this.
  9. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

iCremeria ba.

ronjet and raypin like this.
  10. raypin

Mm...yup. Me bago sila paandar: crepe filled with softserve and placed inside an ice cream cone.

The macha is a bit much for me. I m not really a fan of macha anything.

wulf, ronjet and jetan like this.
  11. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

that's why i get the combo with vanilla.

raypin and ronjet like this.
  12. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

Will also be back in HK next month. Here are some of my recommendations for dimsum!

Every HK visit would not be complete for me without this.
    This is Mak Kee (North Point), not to be confused with Mak Man Kee, Mak's Kee, Mak's Noodles or Mak Un Kee.
    This is a Plate Michelin awarded dimsum place.
    I dont know for how long, I think 4 years straight including this year 2020.
    Don't go to this place without ordering Dumpling in Chili Oil and Potstickers, they will change your life hahha. Xiao Long Bao and Sheng Jian Bao are aalso good. Don't order Siu Mai, its not that life changing.
    IMG_9776.jpg

Whilst not a Michelin awarded restaurant, I always go back here for their Pan Fried Stuffed Eggplant with Teriyaki Sauce.
    Custard buns are also good! That stuffed pepper thingy is also good! its new in their menu!
    Dim Dim Sum have multiple locations in Mongkok.
    IMG_9777.jpg

Cheung Hing Kee is also a place I go to everytime I visit.
    Though I dont think they made it this year in the Michelin Guide, but they are previously a Bib Gourmand resto.
    It's also in TST so might as well walk on over there, right?
    IMG_9780.jpg

Kwan Kee Bamboo Noodles is a Bib Gourmand awarded noodle shop.
    Well, the noodles are not made from bamboo, just rolled with a bamboo pole.
    Noodles are springy, broth; not that good. I'm thinking I just ordered the wrong order!
    IMG_9773.jpg

13. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

Here are some other recos from me!

This is Lan Ying Indonesian Snack, sorry I dont have any other picture.
    Their satay are worth the 45min. queue. Just go there when its not a busy time.
    It's surrounded by schools and the students eat here also.
    They just have a bench for seats, so better have your food to go!
    It's previously a Bib Gourmand street food.

5.jpg

Not a Michelin awarded resto but this is a Cold Noodle place in Argyle Mall.
    it's cheap and its gooooodddd!! I dont know its name, I just know it when I see it! hahhaha
    I always go here everytime I visit HK.
    4.jpg

Search for HeyTea if youre craving for milktea.
    Originally from China, these are really good milkteas.
    Worth the line! Not Michelin though!
    3.jpg

Lastly, if your hotel/airbnb allows it, cook some wagyu steak from Don Quijote.
    No regrets.
    2.jpg

14. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Yum! @yehey9 I’ll write it all down for must-try foods when in HK!

yehey9 likes this.
  15. hitme64

This novel-coronavirus scare is putting a damper on flights to HK since it accounted its first victim this month. I’m suppose to accompany my daughter’s family back to HK in a week’s time for their return flight to the US plus 2-3 days layover before doing so. Flights from Wuhan, China arrive at HKIA also and surely there will be stricter quarantine protocols in place. It would’ve been kind of safer to travel there if it weren’t for the baby. Now we’re not sure if it’s viable to do so or we need to reschedule their flight even if we have to pay more.

Update: China has stopped all transportation to and from Wuhan for now. The HK patient arrived to the city via the Shenzhen North high-speed rail and not the airport.

eag likes this.
  16. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow thanks again for the recos guys!

17. manager

manager Active Member

18. hitme64

It’ll be awhile before anyone gets to Hong Kong, or six other destinations in China after our government cancelled air travel there starting January 24 to February 29 (this according to PAL’s advisory). My daughter’s family had to rebook their HK to JFK flight two weeks from now and PAL has been “kind” enough to move their exit point to MNL without any extra charge.

19. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

so no flight to and from Hong Kong?

20. raypin

Mm...Cancel your trip to HK, for now. HK says 5 people have the Wuhan virus and a further 141 people are being treated as potential Wuhan virus patients.

Being one of the most crowded cities in the world, the pathogen can spread fast.

As of tonight, Carrie Lam has officially declared a health emergency in HK, the highest alert level there.

#3560 raypin, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020