The Hong Kong thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by morphine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hong Kong is at the edge of anarchy and rebellion, almost full-scale. China is not liking this anymore.

ronjet likes this.
  2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

If one zooms out of HK, the issue for China is not just HK but Tibet, Xinjiang, Taiwan, and any other "part of China" that wants to break away. If they allow HK to go their way, it would embolden all those other places.

China's state broadcasting agency quoted Xi Jinping recently, during the 70th anniversary celebrations IIRC. The direct quote goes...

"Anyone attempting to split China, in any part of the country, will end in crushed bodies and shattered bones."

Source: The Economist podcast

I'm not sure one could interpret this statement in any other way except the literal one,

#3402 SE20, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    hitme64 likes this.
  3. scubadiverdaw

scubadiverdaw Member

Heard hotels are cheap but where are the cheap flights to HK? Could not find any :-(

4. hitme64

Same question here. Thought they were making it easier to fly there. But even if it were cheap, I wouldn’t dare go there now. The situation is extremely fluid and dangerous. You can never expect something not happening with the way things are right now that violence is prevalent between the police and protesters.

5. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

if that was said here, they would say not to take it literally hehe.

My officemate just went there over the weekend. Will ask about his stay there when I see him tom at work.

6. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

I thought staying at Novotel with the outlet stores at Tung Chung near the airport might be a better idea but a friend who loves there said that’s where they often protest now since they can’t enter the airport anymore.
    I’ve heard Disneyland hotels are super discounted, but I wouldn’t bring small children there now anyway.

7. hitme64

Don’t be the couple who went honeymoon shopping downtown and got caught in a tug-of-war protest while taking selfies. They had to endure stick fighting, tear gassing and lots of shouting, pushing, shoving before finally reaching their hotel. Their vacation of nightmare turned darker when the violent confrontations happened right in front of their hotel preventing them from getting out further.

They got back last night, and my kind words to them were “Sinabi ko na sa inyo eh. Tigas ng ulo niyo. Nakabili ba kayo ng iPhone 11 Pro Max?”

Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  8. hitme64

The hell! What are these guys building over there?? This is made to kill, if not maim.
    634BC195-E9A0-4525-A871-AF661349CA3A.jpeg
    Already, one policeman has been punctured by an arrow while five have been hit by projectiles from within HK Polytechnic University. And now this makeshift bomb, which if exploded, can seriously and mortally injure. Grabe na sa HK.

Godfather likes this.
  9. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

this is not what they were fighting for... this is plain terrorism... this need to stop... and fast..

10. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Just heard one of the mangers who talked to a business associate from HK, is now temporarily staying in Singapore until this blows over. According to him, tension is much higher than a couple of weeks ago. It seems the government might be at its peak tolerance. Property owners might not support their cause anymore, since damaged property under war/terrorist or unrest isn't covered in insurance(unless they paid for it).

raypin likes this.
  11. hitme64

^Central District closed by police because of flash protest by office workers. We have a friend working there who livestreamed the flash demonstration while police tried to rein them in to their office buildings. She estimated a crowd of nearly 2,000 joined the protest against a handful of police officers.

When we asked her if she feels threatened by the scale of violence now, she tweeted “these are exciting times we fight for our rights #FreeHK #HongKongForever”

12. waks13

waks13 Active Member

Both sides are shit.

The Hong Kong government is useless, because they are a bunch of greedy business people who are good at collecting rent and shifting blame to China for creating the situation which led to the riots. The pan-democrat politicians know that their policies led to the current difficulties, not China, but they want to shift the blame to China so that they can gather international (US) political support. The US politicians are too dumb and distracted to understand what is really going on anyway; they just need talking points which they can repeat in front of the TV cameras.

As for the protestors, they are a bunch of dumb brats who are angry and can’t get laid. (Young men tend to get violent when they can’t get laid; that is what the whole movement is all about.) So, because they can’t get laid, and can’t get jobs, they need somewhere to direct their anger. Joshua Wong, the pan-democrats, the Hong Kong media and the western media have managed to convince them that it is China which is behind all their problems, and that if they protest enough, the west will come to rescue them, and Hong Kong can become independent of China, and have its own identity! Instead of having to go around tearing up MTR stations, fire-bombing schools, etc. all of these young men would be welcomed as heroes by all of Hong Kong, and Hong Kong would have freedom and democracy! And because they are all heroes, they would get laid!

Happy endings!

The problem now is that things are getting serious now that the Hong Kong police have figured out that they have been using their occupation of HK PolyU to make bombs, so Mummy and Daddy have to race to HK PolyU so that their poor darlings don’t get hurt by the HK police. These parents are the same ones who abuse their Filipino and Indonesian live-in servants, and change them every few years when they ask for a raise.

There are no good guys in this fight.

Godfather likes this.
  13. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

and to think kiko P wanted people here in the Philippines to follow in the footstep of Hkers.

14. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

problem visiting HK is how to get back to your hotel when you are out and suddenly there is conflicts and no transportation, even the MTR can be suspended, skip stations without any notice, and you might got arrested and do lots of explaining in police station,
    also any brave one should choose their cloth wisely, no black as we all know, no white as this is for student, no bright color as you will be standout in the middle of rioters, even what to wear is a big problem when in HK,

15. yehey9

yehey9 Well-Known Member

just saw this pic, and hmm... I think this is just to incite panic and fear..
    this would not explode and send screw shrapnel right? well if it's still LPG inside, pressure release valves and holes will take care of the pressure. unless those fail safes are tampered with and also, if they replaced the LPG with C4. things you learn from Mythbusters. HAHHA

hitme64 likes this.
  16. hitme64

Even a blasting cap or timing wire on an LPG can have disastrous effects when triggered. The shrapnel would be secondary to the blast effect and crippling injuries would depend on a person’s proximity to the IED. Loss of limb, loss of sight and hearing, maybe loss of life can ensue. Possible burns and sears from the blast can be caused from an explosion of this size and magnitude. Think of it as Super, no Ultra Lolo firecrackers in a pack exploding at one time. ka-boom!

yehey9 likes this.
  17. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

The protesters say they are fighting for their rights and that they love Hongkong. They are fighting for their rights by destroying public transportation, roads, sidewalks, firebombing people who disagree with their beliefs, firebombing police and shooting them with arrows, setting fire to buildings, shops, banks and restaurants, vandalizing walls, blocking roads, holding schools hostage, et al.

So if they love Hongkong, why are they destroying the very thing that they are fighting for?

When they first started with the peaceful marches, they were silently protesting and they cleaned up after themselves. They gained the admiration and support of countries worldwide, and mine personally. But now, the criminals, vandals and anarchists have clearly taken over completely. If there are still a few patriots and idealists among them, then they are far outnumbereed and drowned out by the scum who just want to see the world burn.

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Every time you hint that China will barge in and take over, my thought balloon replays, "I don't think so, homey don't play that." I just don't think China will let itself get suckered into a Western ploy of luring them into HK, so they can cry foul over "breach". China's playing the looooong game. They have all the cards. What does HK have?

They're not sorry. They're Soros'? :)

TBH, every time I read armchair freedom fighters, I kinda snicker—they're all slaves of Western concepts of "freedom". If you want to be truly free, look to the East. If you can't handle quantum reality, look into the Liberation (not to be confused with delusional Liberals) that awaits those who understand their inner buddha. :)

HK freedom fighters can't tell fallacious from fellatious. :D

Thinking of sending my son to HK for a few days (no Disney queues!). It might help his college scholarship application if he applies as a war survivor. :D

wulf, Hero33, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  19. hitme64

Xi thinking the same thing @rbenzon and says, “let them think I won’t do that, and then when I do, they cry ‘what the fuck man?’ I just love the drawl in them Westerners’ tongues. :LOL::LOL:

Of course, Xi is kidding, but is he? Hmm, maybe it’s some game plan for world domination. Maybe all their riches are in HK. Maybe their concubines. Or maybe, by doing so, they just want to show the world they can do it. For nothing. o_O

rbenzon likes this.
  20. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Will be heading off in a few weeks . Going there using my free airline ticket and the cheap rate at the Shang. I plan to stay at Hongkong Island and do some trail running on the smaller islands. Friend as able to score $125 R/T to HK via Cathay Pacific

#3420 dasaint, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    ronjet and raypin like this.