The Hong Kong thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by morphine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

At Fortress, there’s an additional HKD600 premium if you like the midnight green, all the rest of the colors are at SRP. Got the Space Gray coz thats always been my color since the iPhone 5. :)

raypin likes this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...that explains why midnight green also has a premium here sa Ghills. Being passed on to gray market buyers....

3. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

broadway is even more premium.

4. raypin

Mm...watching a youtube live feed of clashes near the Wanchai Computer Center, a place I frequent (WCC has two excellent headphone shops, there’s Kam Roast and a Prizemart for cheap cadbury chocolates). Got a notif. Dunno why....

12944A7B-4579-4D4C-AF27-17F45322F703.png

Kowloon looks safe. No demos. Action concentrated from Central to Admiralty to Causeway Bay.

Godfather likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Looks can be deceiving :whistle: There’s talk Carrie Lam was “recalled” to the mainland last Friday for “reorientation and reassessment” whatever that means. Seems like the protesters took the time off to likewise reassess their strength and and weaknesses in the wake of China moving in with its troops and APCs.

Godfather likes this.
  6. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

in politburo speak it might mean - major demotion, from running the state to file clerk. Or worse :coffee:

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  7. hitme64

Pinoy OFWs taking the Licensure Exams for Teachers in Kwan Tong HK say they had to line up for the tests despite police presence in the area warning them of possible demonstrations by protesters. Sabi ng mga kababayan natin hinde naman sila ginagalaw ng pulis at mga demonstrador.
    30CF545F-7A7A-4675-81C4-124736D262F6.jpeg
    A78C811F-3255-45F8-9256-1DDD2E03F9B3.jpeg

raypin, rbenzon and Sunil_K like this.
  8. jetan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they're back after iPhone release.

Sunil_K likes this.
  9. raypin

Mm...just came across this......an excellent primer on HK's political crisis from two points of view.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  10. hitme64

So now Cathay Pacific is having a “purge” of its own employees. Recent reports have it that the HK flag carrier has removed certain staffers, employees, even pilots and crews, voicing anti-China views. This will likely affect much of its air travel requirements which management claim has been slashed by 45%.
    It looks like I will be traveling with another airline now and don’t get to enjoy my CP miles for that matter. :(
    Starbucks, Yoshiniya and Maxim’s were also targeted by protesters during the weekend demonstrations, with some very tough tourists calling the financial and commercial center looking like a “war zone”.
    Sayang Hong Kong. Wha’ happened to you??

Sunil_K likes this.
  11. raypin

Mm...some friends just came back. No incidents. HK still safe for tourists. They stayed away from the troublespots, did Disneyland, Ngong P, Victoria Peak and Ocean Park.

jetan likes this.
  12. jetan

just stay away from where the protests are and you're safe.

raypin likes this.
  13. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm traveling to Japan via Cathay and was informed I will have a longer travel time 10 hours to Osaka. A three hour delay was inserted in HK.

14. raypin

Mm...download the my flight hkg app (official app) for real-time info including advisories from HKIA authorities.

Today is China national day......hence the demos in HK today.

#3314 raypin, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  15. hitme64

Which is so weird. And risky. What if the flight never left HK? One could not proceed to another country if that would happen. I wanted to fly via CP to the USA because am using my air miles but this scenario was brought to my attention by my agent. So I had to book another airline for that matter. Besides spending more than 2-3 hrs in HKIA can turn to an even longer stopover which happened to me in 2016. That time, the entire crew of our flight had to be changed for reasons we were not aware of. We were ready to board but CP staff let us wait further for another 2 hours then another hour while onboard. In total we spent 7 hrs of a supposed 2 hrs layover in HK.

Juice likes this.
  16. raypin

Mm...watch iMax at HKIA during unexpectedly long layovers. Keep my flight hkg handy so you know at any time changes in flight skeds. If there is an airport that I would not mind being stuck, it is HKIA.

hitme64 and SE20 like this.
  17. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Same, esp. if Crystal Jade is still operating. They're still there right?
    The airport I would least want to be in: Changi. Long story.

hitme64 likes this.
  18. hitme64

That would be great if we weren’t herded to the departure area then made to wait and then on board the plane. The point is, HKIA can be silent on the why they’re delayed and you just have to trust the schedule board on what’s next. Had they told us about the glitch and allowed us out of the waiting area then we would have gone shopping again or to the spa FWIW.

raypin likes this.
  19. raypin

Mm...crystal jade hkia still open. Miss the cold chinese eggplant dish.

as for changi, I like the smallish terminal 4. Minimal walking and automated everything.....and lots of smoking area inside and outside.

#3319 raypin, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    SE20 likes this.
  20. jetan

it's still there at arrival hall.
    [​IMG]

HK ATM. Wong Tai Sin wrecked taxi. While Causeway Bay SOGO is closed.

SE20 likes this.